DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a kid in town that has a reg cab Dakota RT, I'm pretty sure it's all stock. Every time I see him he revs up at me, don't know if he really wants to race but just in case, should I be able to take him? :IDEA:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Dakota
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Tough Call! I've had 2 RC Dakota R/T's. A 00 and a 01. A good running RC R/T will go low 15's. 15.0-15.2 is common. They CAN go high 14's but thats pretty rare. My RC SB Hemi Ran 14.8 w/ 700 miles on it and just a Gibson ST on it. Its faster than both my R/T's were stock. However, w/ yours being a 4x4 it'll be close.

The R/T is lighter by a thousand lbs over you and has just as much RW Torque. They also have 3.92 gears and only 28" tires. From 0-60 or stoplight to stoplight if the R/T doesn't smoke the Tires then he'll take you. Your hope would be in the 1/4 mile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BamaHemi said:
Tough Call! I've had 2 RC Dakota R/T's. A 00 and a 01. A good running RC R/T will go low 15's. 15.0-15.2 is common. They CAN go high 14's but thats pretty rare. My RC SB Hemi Ran 14.8 w/ 700 miles on it and just a Gibson ST on it. Its faster than both my R/T's were stock. However, w/ yours being a 4x4 it'll be close.

The R/T is lighter by a thousand lbs over you and has just as much RW Torque. They also have 3.92 gears and only 28" tires. From 0-60 or stoplight to stoplight if the R/T doesn't smoke the Tires then he'll take you. Your hope would be in the 1/4 mile.

Yeah, this is just exactly what I was thinking. I had a '97 regcab 2wd Dak with the 5.2L and I'm sure my ram would take it, I just didn't really know how much faster the RT was.
 

·
Jeep Driver
Joined
·
32,497 Posts
yellowbee said:
There is a kid in town that has a reg cab Dakota RT, I'm pretty sure it's all stock. Every time I see him he revs up at me, don't know if he really wants to race but just in case, should I be able to take him? :IDEA:
No. :)
 

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
Joined
·
25,280 Posts
I'll take "What is my ass being handed to me?" for $1,000 Alex.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh come on now, it has to be close! What does a stock RT put out for HP? If my truck was a 2wd it would definatly win, right?
 

·
Jeep Driver
Joined
·
32,497 Posts
It's more than just who has the most horsepower (obviously, because you do).... it's who has the best horsepower-to-weight ratio. A regular cab Dakota is one very light truck.

My '93 Dakota with a 318 would out-run any stock Mustang GT on the road, and some that were less than stock...... I can only imagine how fast it would leave a 4x4 Ram in the dust. :)
 

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
Joined
·
25,280 Posts
2wd and 4wd doesn't really mean a whole lot... the downfall in weight and the benefit of 4wd on the launch cancels out.
 

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
Joined
·
25,280 Posts
Here's what I found on a quick search for a 2000 Dakota R/T: "5.9 V8 46RE automatic 6,350 lb 245 hp, 335 lb-ft"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I take it your Dak wasn't stock? I had my '97 at the same time my wife had her '94 GT, it was a pretty quick truck but it wouldn't hang with the Stang.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bubba_Hemi said:
Here's what I found on a quick search for a 2000 Dakota R/T: "5.9 V8 46RE automatic 6,350 lb 245 hp, 335 lb-ft"

Thanks Bubba, I guess I just thought that 100hp would be a pretty good offset to the weight diff. and I also thought with the ram being heavier, maybe it would get a little better hole-shot. Anyways I didn't know and that's why I asked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Let set a few things straight.

The RC Dakota R/T weighed about 3850lbs. The CC went about 4250lbs. They had 250 h.p. and 345 ft lbs. They came w/ 3.92 and the Anti Spin.

A RC 5.2L could not take a RC R/T, even w/ a 5 speed. The 4.7L 5 speed could get close but the R/T usually revailed.

Stock for stock... none of these trucks could outrun my Hemi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,186 Posts
Bubba_Hemi said:
I'll take "What is my ass being handed to me?" for $1,000 Alex.
ROFLMAO!!!
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny
 

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
Joined
·
25,280 Posts
BamaHemi said:
Let set a few things straight.

The RC Dakota R/T weighed about 3850lbs. The CC went about 4250lbs. They had 250 h.p. and 345 ft lbs. They came w/ 3.92 and the Anti Spin.

A RC 5.2L could not take a RC R/T, even w/ a 5 speed. The 4.7L 5 speed could get close but the R/T usually revailed.

Stock for stock... none of these trucks could outrun my Hemi.
So, even though it is 75/35 less in power but close to 2K lbs lighter... you don't think a RC Dakota R/T would take him?
 

·
All Around Great Guy
Joined
·
12,675 Posts
I think you would take him If he spins off the line. If not I think he might take you by a 1/4 length.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,813 Posts
If you had a Single cab Ram I would say it would be a CLOSE race... but since you have a 4x4 Ram I say the R/T SHOULD walk all over you if its running right.

And if he has some mods he will walk on you BAD. I have seen 2002 5.9L Rams run well into the 14's in the 1/4.... I have watched them HUMBLE many Modded 5.7L owners... So the 5.9L in a much smaller truck is a tire burning monster.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your thoughts guys, I think if the opportunity ever arises it will be interesting no matter the outcome.
If I win I'll be like; HaHa, you can't touch the HEMI :stk:
and if he wins I'll be like; yeah, I knew you'd win- mine IS a 4x4 :crazy:
 

·
Got Nitrous?
Joined
·
320 Posts
I've raced a dakota r/t on my way to work one day and I beat him. And the dakota wasn't stock either, it was a close race but I was pulling on him on topend.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top