DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
S.M.I.L.E
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm parking at Walmart and found a space beside this rusty old truck and a white car (one of those 90 something full size sedans). Anyway, I immediately looked at the truck and was thinking, "Maybe I should move..." I didn't want the owner of whoever messed up that truck to ding my doors, but against my better judgement I park anyway... How about the WHITE car is the one that got me! I didn't even know anyone was in the car!! The lady let her daughter (who couldn't be no older than 3) get out of the car and BAM I hear her hit my D... SHE HIT HAROLD!:mad: So, rolling my eyes, I IMMEDIATELY pull away to park somewhere else (after the little girl closed her door back, of course). So, I get out and look at Harold and NOTHING, there's nothing there except a minuscule white smudge. So, I look at the lady and told her it's no problem, it's not that bad. So, you would think she'd just leave things alone, right? NO, she turns and tells me it's MY FAULT because I didn't park right. She went on to INSULT me by saying I need to learn how to drive!! HA! She shouldn't have let her daughter open the door! Anyone know about this kind of thing? LEGALLY speaking, who would be right in this case?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
were you in the middle of the parking lines and parked straight? Even still "she" should open her doors with care and attention not to damage another vehicle...

·
S.M.I.L.E
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
were you in the middle of the parking lines and parked straight? Even still "she" should open her doors with care and attention not to damage another vehicle...
I wasn't parked with military precision (which I AM capable of btw :D ) BUT I wasn't that far over either. She would've been able to get out of her car without much problems. I told her that I have big doors, too, so I dont' let my 5 YEAR OLD open them because I don't have the money to be paying for someone else's car. She's really gonna expect a CHILD to open a door that carefully?? It doesn't matter how I was parked because her and Harold were about the same size.:thatfunny She'd have to swing the door out too far even if Harold was parked to the far side of the space and her door would still touch. :thatfunny Ok, that was mean... ahem, sorry.:( Seriously, though, that chick made me mad... accusing me of not knowing how to drive. The tip of both of her doors (front and rear) would've reached into the other parking space (had I not been parked there) because that's how big her doors were, yet, somehow she didn't hit me, but her daughter did. Next time she needs to get some exercise, get out of the car and help her daughter get out... stop being lazy, Lady!

·
RamRoddin'
793 Posts
little tip, next time dont move first. legally speaking she could say you never parked next to her and were full of shit. get outta yr truck and take a picture of the paint mark and her door with yr camera phone first and foremost or some other camera (u should leave a disposable camera in yr glove (if heats not too bad) if yr phone doesnt have one).

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
She's delusional. I don't know how you showed restraint. ;)

·
Where is the snow?
4,118 Posts
I think it's her fault. Did you jot down her plate #? If you did, you could sue I think, small claims court??? When my D was about a year and a half old, we took it to home depot and parked out of the beaten path. With my luck, I come out and there is old beater work van parked next to me and there is a big green mark and a dent. I told the guy "I think you door dinged us," and he said I did not. Then it got heated. I said you did! The mark was green, like his van, and the door lined up perfectly with the dent. I can't pop it out, because it's on a crease, any advise? But anyway, I feel your pain:bawl:.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
As stated, you should have kept you durango parked in that spot... The mother is wrong for not apologizing about the minut damage.

This is pretty much why I try to park as far away as possible when I'm in a large and crowded parking lot :)

·
2nd04Durango
1,310 Posts
I am not nearly as picky about my D as you guys are... we wash it maybe twice a year and it has all sorts of small dings and scratches. I look at it as normal wear and tear, and pretty much all of them would buff out if we decide to trade it in or otherwise sell it.

To answer the OP, her vehicle hit yours so she is in the wrong. There is no other way to look at it. As long as you are between the lines (regardless if they are or not), legally another vehicle cannot touch yours without being held responsible.

What I love to do just to bother people (and since I am skinny enough) is park my 3/4 ton suburban with the extended towing mirrors next to a vehicle that is parked on the line or far enough over that they cannot get into the drivers seat without climbing in the passenger side. There were several times I would come out from the store and the owner would be sitting on their trunk waiting... and the last 2 were guys that looked pissed off, but as soon as they saw I am 6'5 their tone changed fairly quickly and just bit&$ed at me. I usually just say "then learn how to park properly and you wont have this problem." I love watching them watch me move this beast out of a spot with sports car precision. It usually ends up with them giving me the finger.

·
S.M.I.L.E
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not nearly as picky about my D as you guys are... we wash it maybe twice a year and it has all sorts of small dings and scratches. I look at it as normal wear and tear, and pretty much all of them would buff out if we decide to trade it in or otherwise sell it.

To answer the OP, her vehicle hit yours so she is in the wrong. There is no other way to look at it. As long as you are between the lines (regardless if they are or not), legally another vehicle cannot touch yours without being held responsible.

What I love to do just to bother people (and since I am skinny enough) is park my 3/4 ton suburban with the extended towing mirrors next to a vehicle that is parked on the line or far enough over that they cannot get into the drivers seat without climbing in the passenger side. There were several times I would come out from the store and the owner would be sitting on their trunk waiting... and the last 2 were guys that looked pissed off, but as soon as they saw I am 6'5 their tone changed fairly quickly and just bit&$ed at me. I usually just say "then learn how to park properly and you wont have this problem." I love watching them watch me move this beast out of a spot with sports car precision. It usually ends up with them giving me the finger.
:thatfunny You know you're wrong for that!LOL But this does show me how people can be so bold as to point the finger at you when they're the ones that are wrong... as the saying goes, you point one, but have three pointing back at you.

·
S.M.I.L.E
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
little tip, next time dont move first. legally speaking she could say you never parked next to her and were full of shit. get outta yr truck and take a picture of the paint mark and her door with yr camera phone first and foremost or some other camera (u should leave a disposable camera in yr glove (if heats not too bad) if yr phone doesnt have one).
I thought about that and was lucky she didn't start nothin'... we were in an incident similar to this before. A lady opened her door all the way out as we were parking in the spot next to her. We weren't so lucky as we were with the D... I had a Pontiac and it got a good sized dent in it from her truck (I think her truck was a Dodge). Anyway, my husband and I were ignorant and didn't know that we HAD to call the police to report the incident... but homegirl sure did. She called them and when they got there, she told them HER side of the story and tried to pin that rap on us. Anyway, everything worked out in NO ONE's favor... the police just stated it as a "freak incident", it wasn't anyone's fault. Personally, I think it should've been her fault. Anyway, I'm glad this other lady at least had too much of a life not to try and con me into paying for her car. I have a camera phone, so I'll keep this in mind next time... I hope there ISN'T a next time.:WHT:

·
Vinny
938 Posts
Did you get the paint mark off of your D?

·
S.M.I.L.E
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you get the paint mark off of your D?
Oh yeah... I just rubbed it off with my finger... no biggie. Still, it was the fact that she had the NERVE to blame me for something that was her fault... AND she insulted my driving! Someone earlier asked how I stayed restrained... well, if it wasn't for being saved, I probably would've gone off on her. In fact, I saw her later on in the store and was about to follow her to give her a piece of my mind, but I didn't... only God stopped me on that one.;)

·
RamRoddin'
793 Posts
I thought about that and was lucky she didn't start nothin'... we were in an incident similar to this before. A lady opened her door all the way out as we were parking in the spot next to her. We weren't so lucky as we were with the D... I had a Pontiac and it got a good sized dent in it from her truck (I think her truck was a Dodge). Anyway, my husband and I were ignorant and didn't know that we HAD to call the police to report the incident... but homegirl sure did. She called them and when they got there, she told them HER side of the story and tried to pin that rap on us. Anyway, everything worked out in NO ONE's favor... the police just stated it as a "freak incident", it wasn't anyone's fault. Personally, I think it should've been her fault. Anyway, I'm glad this other lady at least had too much of a life not to try and con me into paying for her car. I have a camera phone, so I'll keep this in mind next time... I hope there ISN'T a next time.:WHT:
Welp im glad it didnt turn into a horror story for ya at least hehe.
Yeah def keep yr camera phone handy and in mind in case there is a next time.
Its too bad some people arent made with the wiring that tells them when their obviously in the right or wrong. If i opened my door n hit somebodies car and they were sitting in it i would never have the lack of humility to sit there and flip it on them. Unbelievable i tell ya.. but unfortunately i see it in one form or another every single day.

·
Vinny
938 Posts
Oh yeah... I just rubbed it off with my finger... no biggie. Still, it was the fact that she had the NERVE to blame me for something that was her fault... AND she insulted my driving! Someone earlier asked how I stayed restrained... well, if it wasn't for being saved, I probably would've gone off on her. In fact, I saw her later on in the store and was about to follow her to give her a piece of my mind, but I didn't... only God stopped me on that one.;)
Poor Harold, but he's all better now :)

Yeah I don't have that type of restraint, I would've gone off on her!! haha. But, it was probably better that you just walked away, an ignorant person like her isn't even worth your time.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You did good to keep the peace. Honestly, it is not worth starting a scrum in front of the kids over...

Mad? Oh yeah!! Oh well.

·
Power Aficionado
1,823 Posts
Let that be a lesson to us all. Don't shop at Wal-Mart. ;) just kidding.

I know the frustration also

·
2nd04Durango
1,310 Posts
Anyway, everything worked out in NO ONE's favor... the police just stated it as a "freak incident", it wasn't anyone's fault.
1) I notice you are in Pcola, an hour west of me... cool (I am in Okaloosa County)

2) Florida is a no-fault state. With our MAJOR accident in 2004 where the 17 year old kid pulled out in front of us doing around 55mph on Hwy 98 (around Lynn Beach, between Mary Esther and Navarre) and they still marked it as no fault when it was most definitely his fault for not looking or yielding to oncoming traffic.

3) I hate the no fault rules as I know I am not at fault if anything happens, my years of driving plus no accidents "caused by me" and the defensive drivers courses I have taken, I just wish there was a way to force a "fault" in some cases (like my accident so it stays off my insurance and record).

·
Registered
66 Posts
A number of years ago (maybe 30), I had a '68 Mustang and I was waiting in the car for my wife to come out of the store. A lady pulled in next to me with her Volkswagen and she hit my door pretty hard, but just glared at me and scurried off. So I get out and find a 1/2" long scrape in the door :mad:, so I get back in my car and slam my door into hers. I didn't just leave a mark, I punched a triangular shaped 1" hole in her door....holy crap! So just then my wife was on her way to the car and we left. I did feel bad for about 15 seconds......maybe.

·
Registered
126 Posts
a buddy of mine had a old trail truck a ranger or some thing we were at walmart of corse well it was at night my buddy had a black ranger this truck there wasnt one strait panel on this truck well this bmw parked so close to my buddys truck he could not get it he was littlery on our side of the line so my buddy looks at me gives me this shit eating grin climbs in threw the passanger side lays down on the seat and kicks his door rights a note puts on the car that says learn how to park and he drives away i was in shock i could not bleave it

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
heh when I had a swift and my d50 if i say somebody parked over the lines I'd pull in snug next to them and still be perfectly between the lines. I didn't care too much about door dings... I saw one guy in a super jacked up 4x4 crawl through his passenger side and then delicately work his way out of the stall..

I made a comment to a guy with a lifted truck cause he managed to take up three stalls.. I kinda muttered "nice park job" and he started getting in my face about how it's a big truck blah blah blah I simply said, if I can park my father's 26ft long ram you can park that chev, plus if I can park my large car with a trailer perfectly between the lines you can park properly.. ohhhh he wasn't happy, I walked back to my car and he drove by it almost looked like he was going to try to run over my car til he saw that yup my boat was perfectly between the lines and so what my trailer which was up a grass divider/hill thing and it was perfectly in that spot too... and I backed that sucker in heh.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.