DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Is Proud Of Their 360!?

2K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  Hemi Pete 
#1 ·
No offense to the Hemi guys, but I am proud of my 360! I have heard some of you fellas complain about some of the problems the Hemis have, and it makes me feel happy I got the 5.9. You guys have more power and I do admire that about your Hemis! Also, Hemis are still relatively new and there aren't many aftermarket parts for them. I am seriously considering stroking the 360 to a 408. That would get me close you to guys! To sum it all up, I AM DAMN PROUD OF MY 360!

#3 ·
i love my 360.... sometimes i want the power of the hemi but i realize how much more i can do to the 360. i remember having a 350 in my old 72 monte carlo and would always look up to the 360... there is just somthing i like about saying i have a 360

#4 ·
BrandonSC said:
Oh, and the bad gas mileage, thats just part of its charm and personality!
:crazy: LOL...

My 360 gets more miles to the gallon than MANY Hemi's I know of........ hmm.... maybe I finally learned how to control my lead foot?:)

I am also happy I got the 3rd gen Ram with a 360.... it's the best of both worlds for me, a new truck design with a reliable powertrain I know inside and out (I had two 360's prior to this one)....

Don't get me wrong, I am very fond of the Hemi engine and I am 100% sure my next new vehicle will have one... but the truck will be paid off before then and I plan to keep it. I know my 360 will keep going for many, many years.

#5 ·
I thank god that I dont have my 360 anymore..but thats just my opinion....I guess the sludge problems, belly pan gasket problems and the main bearing ( i am sure there are others that I am forgetting) on its way out before I hit 80K made me feel that way about them. And yes..I changed the oil every 6K miles and took care of the truck like it was a baby.

#6 ·
Had 2 2nd Gen Rams( 4X4, RC, SB )with the 360's and loved them. A good motor. Gas MPG sucked in a big way though. Never could get better than 13-14 max. Got an 04 Ram QC 4X4 with the HEMI and love it more though AND I can get 20MPG highway with it. The truck itself is better and the engine is definitly better( ie; power, driveability, & MPG )

The 360's had their share of trouble in the Rams too. I don't think the HEMI really has had too many issues. Some but all engines do and really the majority of the HEMI troubles aren't even engine troubles. They are more truck problems in general( ie; computer, rear end, body, etc... ).

The 5.7L engines themselves haven't had a lot of problems. Again, some but nothing overwhelming. Mine hasn't had any. The only thing my HEMI has is the tick and frankly it sounds the same as the tick the 360 had( fuel injectors ). All my Rams have had a very similar ticking/rattling/clicking type noise. The 94 w/318 had it, the 97 & 01 w/360's had it, the 03 w/ 4.7 had it, and now the 04 with 5.7L has it.

Nothing wrong with the 360 it was a great motor for a long time. Nothing wrong with the HEMI either. Be proud of what you drive even if it is a 3.7L V-6!

#7 ·
hey I was damn proud of my 360. had a different sound on it than the hemi does...i still miss her, my new truck is even the same color (even the two tone).....
but i was seduced by the power of the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!
:rck: :rck: :rck: :rck: :rck:

#8 ·
Don't take this as a knock, I loved my old Magnums I had 3 318's and 2 360's. Just talking about the modern era, I had several older units as well. My current Ram/ 4.7 is quicker and gets better mileage than any of them. Well my '94 Dakota/5.2 might have been as quick, but got worse mpg.

#9 ·
Some of you with 3rd Gen Ram bodies and 360's should recruit friends with a 3rd Gen Ram 5.7 Hemi and 3rd Gen Ram 4.7 and go on a highway trip together following one another about 4 truck lengths back to check MPG.

My guess would be that the 5.7 and 4.7 get about the same highway MPG at 70 mph and the 360 would be about 5% less.

#12 ·
you know, i am not saying that the 360 is better than the hemi but i know that there is a lot i can do to the 360 to make it as powerfull or more so than the hemi(even tho it would cost lots of $$$) but im proud to have a 360 and to know that the sister of my tuck has a hemi..... were one big happy family..... cant we all just get along? :gr_patrio :gr_patrio :gr_patrio

#13 ·
Like my 360

Mine only has 22,000 miles, but I think it is great so far. I am happy with it. I don't need much more power. Planning on putting on a exhaust, but other then that its fine. My next one in a couple years will definetly be a Diesel though. Skip the Hemi, get a Diesel. My buddy has a 03 2500 Diesel. It rocks! Gas milage, power, torque, the whole package all in one!!!!!!!

#14 ·
I'm another VERY PROUD owner of a 3rd Gen 360!!!! At first I was pissed about being lied to on when the hemi was going to be released in a 1500, but now I'm glad I have the 360 instead. Not as many out there and it surprises a bunch of people too. I've even had people ask me how it all worked thinking it was custom. Then there's all the questions on how I get a 14" air cleaner on there since everyone's used to the forward facing throttle bodies. Just gotta get some more mods but I love the "friendly" competition with Hemi's when going to the track!

#15 ·
i got rid of my quad cab 360 4x4 with 3.92 gears to save up for a diesel. i must say, however, i miss that motor. had power, sounded like music to my ears, got attention and got the job done. i miss it so. oh i miss it so, but parting is such sweet sorrow when i see a cummins in september.....if it werent for the change i want, id still have er

#17 ·
Just got Power Wagon but still like 360

We have a POWER WAGON and a 2003 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 with 360.
I love our new PW but the gas mileage is only getting 11.8 on the Highway right now. I am hoping it will get better after break in period.
Now as for the 360: Our HEMI PW has lots of power and you can tell the difference but I must say the 360 is much smoother and more car like. I can just lightly touch the 360 and it smoothly drives away, and is no slouch. It can really MOVE ! With the Hemi, I feel nothing by gently touching the pedal. You have to push into it and the power just jumps out at you. The pedal is very heavy and it is much harder to move slowly through parking lots etc. Very much different from the 360.
So for me I must say that the 360 is a much nicer to drive (also 16.8 MPG Hwy, not bad for a big truck). The only thing that makes me LIKE the HEMI better is that POWER...OOOOH THE POWER ! ! !

#19 ·
I dislike my 360, its a great all around motor but here in California if you even think about modding anything big CARB is all over your ass like flies on crap. My only problem is how inefficient it is, although it is very durable.

#20 ·
BGRAM said:
I thank god that I dont have my 360 anymore..but thats just my opinion....I guess the sludge problems, belly pan gasket problems and the main bearing ( i am sure there are others that I am forgetting) on its way out before I hit 80K made me feel that way about them. And yes..I changed the oil every 6K miles and took care of the truck like it was a baby.
The only issue is the bellypan gasket. Any sludge you experienced in this motor was due to a lack of maintenance.

#23 ·
2-Stroke, the cummins is a 359. And cant be accounted for in this forum =)

#25 ·
Well, might as well put in my 2 cents. My wifes 99 Durango has 85K on it and have not had 1 problem. My 02 Ram also. And oh yea, change that oil every 3000k. You would be amazed how long any engine will last when you do that. Gas Mileage? Who cares, company buys my gas. LOL :gr_patrio

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.