DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just like the title states, who has done a 318 stroker kit? what CID were you left with? hp/tq numbers? what components were used? the truck is consuming a quart of oil per 1k miles...i think its time for a rebuild anyway. i was initially thinking a turbo jobber, as per my previous thread...but im running out of time!

PLEASE ADVISE!!!
Dom

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
im not done yet but i am in the process of building a 318 stroker for my truck 390c/i 400-450 hp when its done im getting my parts from hughes engines (stroker kit iron ram heads and cam) talked with their tech dept told them what i wanted and they gave me the recomended parts to pull the 400-450hp

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is 390CID as car as you can go? is less displacement reccomended or not? is that a stroke with no bore, or was it bored as well?

Dominick

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
390ci is 318 bored 30 over with a 4inch stroke 60 over is 396ci or if you want extreme 318 bored 60 over with a 4.250 stroke crank is 421ci or you can use 3.58 stroke crank w/30 over is aprox 345ci

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want something else. the stock 318 is a dog lol 400 ish woulld be awesome. is any machining to the block needed aside from the cylinders? will i need to rework the heads and get a diff cam as well?

Dom

p.s. the 390 sounds tempting :) i dont want to loose my reliability, but want mo powah for mo betta :cool:

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
the bottom of the cyl needs to be opened up slightly with the 4in stroke you will need a bigger cam and different heads if you want 400plus hp that is at the flywheel you can build an awsome motor for $4-5000 contact hughes engines tell them what you want they will recomend what you need to get there plus i cant wait to get mine done so i can play in the mud

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
The larger you go with the stroker kit, the more side load on the pistions & rotating assembly.
I would go with the 345 over the 390.
Either way you will need better heads, aftermarket cam, PCM flash, and an intake to get the numbers you are wanting.
My 318 isn't a dog by any means, but that depends on the maint & mods of the motor.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had a guy trying to tell me that my 318 must be a dog, and keep telling him nope.... Wouldn't believe me. His loss, as I left his establishment and went some where else with my automotive business. Anyways, I was going to post this same question, as I am looking to do a 390 stroker, possibly supercharged, backed by a dr. evil tranny. Building it myself, and having someone else install, unless I can get moved into a house this fall. Now that should put down some power. Definitely not a daily driver truck, but who cares.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the only reason its doggy, is it has 3.54s and 32's...im putting smaller tires on shortly, but wont be able to afford gears till i take a loan out for the engine work etc. the motor and trans itself is powerful and stout...just 11 years old with 130k on it, uses a quart of oil every 1k and i need it to be semi-reliable. i just want it to be how i want it, isnt that how we all want our vehicles? i was thinking the 345 myself, i just want minimal block machining. i dont care about the heads, i wanted to do work to them anyway.

please, continue with advice, things to look out for, specific things i need to do...

Thanks guys,
Dom

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
when i talked to the guys at hughes engines the 390 requires minimal machineing 30 over with the bottom of the cyl. opened up about the thickness of your thumbnail aprox 1 inch high that still leaves alot of meat in your cyl for reliability/durability i know some guys who have bored them out 120k turning them at8500-9500 no problem that is the great thing about mopar motors they are almost bullit proof

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats awesome news! that makes me more confident about doing the 390. how long does it usually take a shop to bore a block .030 over and do the machining for the bottom of the cylinders? i just dont want to have the truck down for more than a week or two.

Dom

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
depends on how buisy the shop is it should only take a couple of days if you dont want the down time you could do like me i bought a block off ebay already bored 30 over new cam bearings freeze plugs ready to go for $150 plus shipping you could check around and find a esed motor build it and then swap out motors

·
Registered
430 Posts
$150.. damn.. good find. I haven't been able ot find anythign like that for that cheap. I do plan on doing almost all of the engine building myself, and then have a shop install the engine/tranny, then doing the supercharger install myself as well. Just finding a block to start with is kinda hard

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
If I ever have the funds and the time, I'd like to do a 390 to put down some good numbers...but my main concern is longevity. That is why I'd rather do a 345.
But, if the 390 lasts atleast 100,000 then that's decent service life.

^ Like said above, finding a shortblock to start with is the way to go. :tup:

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
keep an eye on ebay or you can go to uneedapart and put in you need a rebuilder or shortblock also put an add here in the classifieds maybe someone who swapped up to a 360 may have one you can get also i will keep my eyes open for ya

·
Registered
430 Posts
Great, thanks man. I figure a 390 stroker with a supercharger I would probably be putting down about 550ish horse, and hopefully the same amount of torque or more. Should be one hell of a ride.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
that should be an awsome motor i read a post on here someone is working on a twin turbo setup only problem with a blower you alot of your acc. gotta have my ac i guess that happens when you get older

·
Registered
430 Posts
Who needs AC, I got 2 windows, the side vents, and a sun roof. I got all the A/C I need.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I need A/C. It gets hot in TX! :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
that is true.. it gets a wee bit hotter down there, but its a dry heat right?

But the plans for the 390 just got put on hold. The fiancee has reminded me that after we get our house in a month or two, I can get a 'nice' daily driver/whatever I want. Oh the possibilities.... 99 mustang cobra, Ford lightning (there still fast as hell for a ford), Trans Am WS6, Camaro ss, oh the list goes on and on....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.