DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Quad Cab 4X4 SLT with 72,000 miles, and at about 65,000 I noticed an engine knock when the truck is cold. It goes away when it warms up, but it doesn't matter what the outside temp is. My oil pressure is good, the engine doesn't leak or burn any oil, so I don't know what to think. It's definately in the lower part of the engine, and it's a definate knock sound, not a tick.

Anybody else have a 4.7 with a knock? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
ive heard that these motors were prone to breaking the exhaust manifold studs creating an exhaust leak that sounds like a knock. once the motor warms up, the manifold expands, closing the leak and no more knocking sound.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced both exhaust manifold gaskets last year, that was a ticking sound, this is a definate knock in the engine, completely different sound than the manifold leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
mine does it all the time in the morning when its cold. i just let it warm up for a few minutes and its gone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
150,000 miles, and I get a tick, tap, knock, or something that irritates the crap out of me. I am going to change the lash adjusters just to see if that will calm the noise down.

The noise does go away when the truck is warm.

Oh, and I started using Wix oil filters. The noise was reduced greatly in the length of time it takes to stop sounding like a diesel.

·
GETER DONE
107 Posts
yea mine does the same thing its a collector leak I was told.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.