DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant remember if i saw it on here or on dakota-durango, but i remember seeing where someone built speaker box that went through the floor of their durango in back kinda towards where the spare tire was at.

I've been searching both forums and cant find it, does anyone know who did it or even better can find a link to the thread for me so i can look at it again.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
um, are you trying to find out how to make the box, ive seen it done in import cars alot, like the sub is flush mounted in the floor?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just wanted to see all the pics again, so i could see how everythin looks underneath, cause i think it was built to withstand offroading and everything cause i'm thinkin of doin this

if my memory is right, they cut out part of the existing floor, then dropped a steel box through that either held an already built box or had a fiberglass box made in it that held the speakers.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
well i know this may be of no use. however. with the similar boxes ive seen done in a cars spare tire well, they fiberglass that area and then top it with a sheet of mdf, itd be flush with your floor, same process would go for a metal box you would cut and drop in i assume.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
audionutz i looked at your links in your sig and i dont think it was you that posted the thread i saw..

i'm thinkin what i might do was just build a steel box that is supported a few places and drop my current box into it

only thing i'm worried about by doing that is the weight, because i know with my 2 15's and my current box, its real freakin heavy to say the least i would have to beef up the steel box and supports to be able to support the weight plus withstand offroad abuse.

any ideas on what size steel i should use for this thing? i'm thinkin 1/4 inch would hold up to anything.. i still have to get underneath and see what all i'm going to have to cut up underthere, already saw i'm going to have to totally cut off all the steel for the spare tire.

i really want to do this n once i do, i'm thinking i'm going to either put the 2nd row seats where the 3rd was or dig out my old 3rd row and hope they arent ruined and then make it so i could have it totally flat back there.. what i like about usin the 3rd row is i could fit a air mattress back there when i'm too lazy to set up my tent come camp season.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
just wondering, why all this instead of a regular box?

just curious?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i have the regular giant box right now, but i'm ready for something different. i hate not having any space for haulin crap. guess its my own fault for gettin 2 15's but at this point i lovem and dont want to go smaller.

also i really wanted to move my rear seats to the 3rd row and have the 2nd open to have kinda a limo effect.. but i cant do that using a regular box at all, because even if i just moved it forward to behind the drivers seat no one could get in the back. that leaves me one one choice to move it underneath

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
ok but if theyre in the floor pointing upwards its gonna be just as in the way, just different kind of in the way.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well thats why i was thinking i was going to drop them down through the floor. not sure how good of a plan it is, but the plan in my head involves dropping them to where they are a lil lower than the rest of the floor and then build somethin to put on top of the box kinda as a false floor/grill to make it level with everything else..

that way they are totally hidden and safe from anything i might throw in the back

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
hrmmm. well, idk could work well however could fail horribly also.

whats the mounting depth of your subs and what airspace do they require, and youll be limited to a sealed enclosure, or so i think.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
idk just could fail if you were to put in it a sealed box, recessed, then put a peice of plexi or wood over it, idk. never heard a box like this.

anywho,

a ported box for those two subs says and ideal space of 2.2 per sub, so, rough dimensions would have to be

31"x16"x9"

i think.

im not sure i read the calculator correctly, but if you wanted it flush or recessed itd have to be almost 10 inces of box hanging from underneath your floor and there would have to be a 31"x16" hole cut through.

just so you know.

im interested to see where this goes, could be really cool.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Do you have 10" clearance above the drive shaft?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not real sure why the driveshaft would even be involved since i wanted to put this clear in the back..

but i did some lookin and i think it would hang too low to be any good offroad.. so i might have to have it extend up into the cabin some.. i gotta do more measurements when i get time..

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
Rather than cut the crap out of your floor, why not put the 2nd row back where the third goes, then build a console running lengthwise down the middle? You can light it up and fiberglass in some cup holders....plexi, paint, leather. There'd still be room to get in, and you can put a plexi top on it to protect the woofers.

Something like this:

I've seen it done in a Ford Explorer, and it was pretty badass. He had 4 15s with a vent running lengthwise in the middle. No back seats, but it was the smaller version of the mid 90s explorer. This way, all you're doing is bolting it down to the floor, which can be easily filled in later assuming you know how to weld (which it sounds like you do) so that come trade in time, you haven't destroyed the value of the vehicle.

You can certainly build a false top that protects the woofers up top, or even a detachable top to hide them entirely for when you need to load up hunting gear. Heck you can build in a hidden shelf system on the side that can open up to store shotguns if you really wanted to get creative. Errr, scratch that. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a shotgun going off accidentally from bassing out.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
not real sure why the driveshaft would even be involved since i wanted to put this clear in the back..

but i did some lookin and i think it would hang too low to be any good offroad.. so i might have to have it extend up into the cabin some.. i gotta do more measurements when i get time..
i thought you wanted it flush, if its not flush with the floor it defeats your purpose of getting a new box.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats a really good idea doing the middle thing, i never really thought of that.. i'm just wondering if its wide enough to be able to put that in there and still have room to get to the back seats since i have 15's i will have to take some measurements tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
youll only need 16-17 inches width.

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
Rather than cut the crap out of your floor, why not put the 2nd row back where the third goes, then build a console running lengthwise down the middle?
Probably because the 2nd row is 18 inches wider than the 3rd row in a Durango.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.