DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've see about a million "Whining Noise" threads, but all of them dont seem to be quite what I'm experiencing. This noise is pretty loud, and it mimicks my RPM's. Meaning that when I accelerate and my RPM's raise, the noise raises with it getting louder and higher pitched. I dont remember this noise always being there, and its quite annoying. I have an '01 5.2l 318, manual trans. Any ideas???? :help:

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
I think I have the same thing and I've never figured it out. Mine almost sounds like a "turbo whistle" for lack of a better term and like yours it varies with how much gas I'm giving it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got the same thing and it annoys the hell out of me because i cant find find where its coming from. I thought maybe it was my alternator or the clutch on my fan not sure though

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
My clutch fan makes somewhat of a noise that varies with acceleration, but I too have that faint high pitched whine that builds up with acceleration, then drops when you shift, then drops again on the next shift.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a Gator brand serp belt It whines with the rpm's

·
Registered
204 Posts
Maybe the torque converter?
When I got one replaced in an Intrepid it whines with acceleration and stopped when locked out at highway speed.
Really loud and I was worried that it was bad, but the transmission man said it was fine.

I believe I hear it just a little in my Ram, but the noise I still get from the rearend drowns it out.

KP

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a manual transmission, which means I have no torque converter, so I dont that would be the cause of the noise. The noise to me sounds like a supercharger whine. If you dont know how that sounds, check out this video: http://videos.streetfire.net/search/Kenne+Bell+Cobra/0/f9369fad-baca-42d4-a9b5-29325a90280a.htm
Obviously not as loud as an actual supercharger, but similar in the sense that it winds higher with the RPM's. Kinda weird that so many people are experiencing the same problem but dont have a solution. It drives me crazy! I wonder if its a noisy pulley somewhere, waterpump or ac compressor, something along those lines. Or if it has something to do with the throttle body. Who knows!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
How about something completely outside the box of thinking in this thread.... The rear axle? I've got a distinct whine coming from both axles. More with acceleration, and a lot less with deceleration.

BTW - that's a bad arse Stang.

·
Yea boooyeee!
1,996 Posts
Take of your serp belt, and spin all the pulley by hand, see which ones make noise.

My '92 Dak had this phantom problem, was a bad idler pulley (two weeks later, the tensioner pulley went bad too) So if you got like 100K+ on it, I'd just replace em both. Correct belt tension is a good thing to have anyways!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Couple of things to try:

1.) Remove serpentine belt, start engine. Did noise go away? If so, it's a belt driven item (alternator, water pump, power steering, A/C, idler/tensioner). Shut down engine, replace belt. Use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to locate the noise (be careful!).

2.) Does the noise go away or get worse when you push in the clutch? Could be your throwout bearing on a manual trans.

3.) Check around under the hood for a vacuum leak. They can whistle quite loud.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
Loud_Dodge said:
I've see about a million "Whining Noise" threads, but all of them dont seem to be quite what I'm experiencing. This noise is pretty loud, and it mimicks my RPM's. Meaning that when I accelerate and my RPM's raise, the noise raises with it getting louder and higher pitched. I dont remember this noise always being there, and its quite annoying. I have an '01 5.2l 318, manual trans. Any ideas???? :help:
Is your wife or G/F in the truck with you, when you hear the noise. If so, problem solved :D

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
:thatfunny
Buzzbass said:
Is your wife or G/F in the truck with you, when you hear the noise. If so, problem solved :D

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Jeff_Taylor said:
Couple of things to try:

1.) Remove serpentine belt, start engine. Did noise go away? If so, it's a belt driven item (alternator, water pump, power steering, A/C, idler/tensioner). Shut down engine, replace belt. Use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to locate the noise (be careful!).

2.) Does the noise go away or get worse when you push in the clutch? Could be your throwout bearing on a manual trans.
3.) Check around under the hood for a vacuum leak. They can whistle quite loud.
^ My old truck made a whining noise after I got muddy water up into the throwout bearing.
Try riding the clutch a little and see if it goes away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.