DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am installing driving lights. Need to know which wire is for high beam. The "tap" wire for the driving light relay is between the battery and radiator right now where most harnesses are. Also: is the factory wire negative at that point or positive. I don't want to probe the wrong wire and hurt something / set off the air bags etc. And I don't want to disassemble the darn truck to get to the back of the headlight assembly to look at the wires..... if it is a negative switch, I know I have to use a relay with the coil ground to the negative HL switched wire. There are a LOT of wires in that area and all difficult to get at. Also: I could tap the high-beam wire at the switch if I knew which one. So either location......
Thanks

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I am installing driving lights. Need to know which wire is for high beam. The "tap" wire for the driving light relay is between the battery and radiator right now where most harnesses are. Also: is the factory wire negative at that point or positive. I don't want to probe the wrong wire and hurt something / set off the air bags etc. And I don't want to disassemble the darn truck to get to the back of the headlight assembly to look at the wires..... if it is a negative switch, I know I have to use a relay with the coil ground to the negative HL switched wire. There are a LOT of wires in that area and all difficult to get at. Also: I could tap the high-beam wire at the switch if I knew which one. So either location......
Thanks
Do you know what kind of bulb yours has? If so, I can let you know what wire on the plug is high. You can then use that wire to trigger the relay for your driving lights

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know what kind of bulb yours has? If so, I can let you know what wire on the plug is high. You can then use that wire to trigger the relay for your driving lights
Not positive. The owners manual lists as follows:
Dual headlamp (mine is one bulb over the other in the same housing) H13
Quad headlamp low H11
High 9005

The '08 and earlier I see side by side bulb placement, so i guess I have the Dual.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Not positive. The owners manual lists as follows:
Dual headlamp (mine is one bulb over the other in the same housing) H13
Quad headlamp low H11
High 9005

The '08 and earlier I see side by side bulb placement, so i guess I have the Dual.

Thanks
Well it sound like you have the H13, which is a single bulb that does the low and high in one. If your looking at the stock H13 plug, with the lock on top, the the wire to the far left is the high on the drivers. The wire to the far right is the high on the passenger. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. If I have to take it apart I will follow your direction. I am trying to avoid that task. It is cold here and i have to remove the grille, access cover and headlight assembly to see the rear of the housing. Looking from underneath, I cannot tell which harness goes to the assembly because there are 5 that split from 1 and then there is a large one that passes through. If it were warmer here I would just take it apart and look. I also don't know if it is negative wire switching or positive. Thanks again I will keep it in mind.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
It should be positive. Only the 94-01 Ram with the 9004 bulb is negative switching.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again!! I will probably just take it apart and have a look [following what you wrote] then follow the harness back to a convenient spot to make the splice. I have to stop purchasing stuff in the winter...

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
lol, I know what you mean. I was trying to install headers today in the cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.