DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm looking at a couple of trucks for sale right now at a dealership. I didn't have time to take them for a test drive yet, I'll be stopping by the dealership tomorrow after work. But here is what I'm looking at. 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 2WD Short Box with a 5.9L Cummins motor. It has just under 70K on it, it has the basic options, CD, PW, PL, Tilt, Tow package, etc. The other one is a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4WD Short Box with a 5.7L Hemi motor. It has around 32K on it, and it also has the basic options, CD, PW, PL, Tilt, Tow package, etc. Both of these trucks are prices fairly close. I've always wanted a diesel, but I haven't done any research with this model yet. How will the gas mileage compare between these too? What should I look for when looking at these two trucks? I live in Mid-Michigan so I will see some snow, but I only drive 6.5 miles to work, and I have other vehicles I will drive on occasion. Please let me know how these two trucks will compare.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
The Cummins has more towing power, better gas mileage, will last a lot longer, and with mods outperform a Hemi very easily. However, the Hemi is more affordable. Personally, I'd keep searching. About a month ago I saw a 05 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins, 4x4 Quad Cab with 10,000 miles going for $29,000. I'd try to find something with lower miles, and look for a 2004.5 Cummins - they have more torque and horsepower.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
cummins all the way

·
Registered
219 Posts
Get The Cummins!!!!!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
70k is nothing on a CTD, I think that is the perfect milage, lots of warrenty left and it has droped most of it's value and you won't loose money if you decide to sell in a couple years. The Hemi and CTD are both great trucks, unless you tow a lot I would drive both and take your time deciding. Before I bough my CTD, I would say CTD all the way but now I don't regret the CTD but it's not for me. I drive a mere 3 miles to school and it doesn't even get operating temp (so no good MPG) and a CTD you need to let warm up when it's cold, you should just fire it up and drive it. The Hemi suits me a lot better as I don't need to tow/haul anything more then a Hemi can handle. The other thing is cost, in a Hemi you can get a LOT LOT more truck for the same price.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Is the CTD an SO or an HO. If it is an early automatic then it is an SO. Better fuel mileage but not as much HP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.