DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting ride of my 1500 5.9 and have been looking at ctd's for a long time. I have some goals in mine with a new truck. I'm shooting for 600 rwph and 800. But which motor is better to make the power one a v12 or v24? If you guys could lay out some parts that I will need and an idea on costs. Motor,tranny, tcase, rear end. Thanks.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
dude, they are all inline 6's......not v12's or v24's

i know what ya meant though haha

for ease of getting power, the 24 valve would be your choice....lift pump like a Raptor or FASS(it's a MUST on these trucks, the stocker sucks balls) which will be about 600 bucks, Edge J/A, or Quad Adren., or TST PowerMax3 tuner, some 100 hp injectors, a 64/7x/1x turbo, and a smarty will get ya in the neighborhood of 500 hp...and prolly over 1k torque

12 valve....there are several things you can do for free to get em up to about 350 at the wheels, i don't know much of the specifics though...i'll let Mike and the other 12 valve guys comment on that

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
For under 100 bucks, you can:

remove the fuel plate, or adjust it
remove the afc, or adjust it
boost elbow
bhaf (intake)

couple hundred will get you 4in turbo back pipe

But you'll probably spend 2k in parts to get the tranny to be able to hold it all.

It'll be a fast truck though :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys take it easy on the diesel slang I'm not use to it so please type it out?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Whichever engine, get a 6spd trans then you'll only be out a grand on a clutch instead of $5000 on an auto. trans to hold 600hp if you're not going to make passes at the dragstrip.
If you do wanna do the drag race thing, you'll just hafta spring on the auto. trans. build-up....sticks are slow shifters.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
I'm rebuilding my auto for about 2300. 1300 for TC, 4 for VB, and 6 or so for input shaft. It'll be good to 1000hp or so.

Then whatever labor to install it, but I'm gonna try it myself.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Malvern Pa. Home of the Grump!!!

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
don't get the six speed....parts are scarce....the five speed is good though :)

j/a and quad adren. are the two most popular wire tap tuners for the 24 valves...they come w/ monitors so there is no need for gauges....the TST PM3 is a chip that plugs in under the hood and releases MASSIVE amounts of fueling...but, you need to buy gauges before you run one like it

·
Registered
543 Posts
With 600 horse power you are going to have way way more than 800 foot pounds of torque. I am pushing 347 horsepower and 790 foot pounds in my 12 valve truck with a 5 speed. Which is around 140-150 more foot pounds than any factory truck no mater the year. The clutch to hold that power cost more than the modifications to get the power. As for auto or stick I remember a little poem

Row row you truck
quickly down the track
By the time you cross the finish line
An auto has been there and back

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I was thinking before I posted the thread that it would be like 6 and 1,000.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Might catch some flak for it, but the 130ish horsepower and the almost 300 foot pounds I have added are probably enough for a daily driver. I want a little more cause I tend to tow excessively heavy. And if I had a good auto my truck would easily out run most stock sports cars.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Personally man, a 12v is the way to go for easy power. It is equiped with the P-7100 (P-Pump) which is the mother ship of injection pumps... Besides some Bosh and Sigmas:D

Anyways, do some searching on them, some simple fuel plate mods with a 4" grinder, turning a few screws, some other tricks and your truck is gonna kill. I remember when I first came on DodgeTalk a guy was doing this all to his 12v that had a built auto. Acording to him it was a monster for what little he did. And it truly is amazing what you can do with some basic shop tools, if you have a trans to hold it. And if you ever did get crazy in the future with a 12v, you can port the hell outta that head.

If I could do it all over again I would get a Holy Grail. My cousin just bought one, he stumbeled on it by accident. When he told me bout it I almost cried. When we drove it I swear I was in a dream. Lucky ass.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Row row you truck
quickly down the track
By the time you cross the finish line
An auto has been there and back

Not trying to hurt feelings man, but there are way more auto's out there that kick butt than manuals. And im pretty sure most would say that they would take a built auto for drag racing, sled pulling, or dyno. Just look at Pro Street diesels, not a one that I have ever seen is a manual; your pulling trucks, most are autos still a few manuals... A manual is great for towing thats for sure but you start talkin bout racin and a auto is gonna whip your butt all day.:rck:

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
BTW, the "holy grail" of cummins trucks is usually described as a 98 quad cab 12 valve(not very many made and most of the owners of them hold onto em)

mine would be a black 4x4 Laramie long bed

to go please

haha

:)

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
Not trying to hurt feelings man, but there are way more auto's out there that kick butt than manuals. And im pretty sure most would say that they would take a built auto for drag racing, sled pulling, or dyno. Just look at Pro Street diesels, not a one that I have ever seen is a manual; your pulling trucks, most are autos still a few manuals... A manual is great for towing thats for sure but you start talkin bout racin and a auto is gonna whip your butt all day.:rck:
uh nick....you didn't read the last part of that

it says the auto has been down the track and back....so the auto is better

i would want an auto w/ a manual valve body and trans brake

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
uh nick....you didn't read the last part of that

it says the auto has been down the track and back....so the auto is better

i would want an auto w/ a manual valve body and trans brake
Ha, your damn right. Sorry, I just took my online final. Brain is kida fried. Workin on that three beer buzz on an empty stomach:rck:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Its all right. As I have said in other posts, if the big three could build an auto like Allison does for the heavier trucks, no one would want a manual.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
Its all right. As I have said in other posts, if the big three could build an auto like Allison does for the heavier trucks, no one would want a manual.
i'm glad ya added the "for the heavier trucks" part....the 1000 ally behind the D max is all hype......stock for stock the 645RFE behind the 6.7 is a MUCH stronger tranny

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
A clutchless like a Liberty built for our torque would be nice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.