DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell or find out what gear ratio my truck has. I got it from the dealer with 20'' wheels on it already and I have heard that if you change the tire size you it is preffered to switch out the gears if so could the dealer have done this when the tires were switched? By the way they are not factory installed wheels so more and likely they were done at the dealership.

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
If you go under the truck, and look on the rear axle, there should be a tag. It may also be listed on the sticker inside the glove box. If it's a 1500 and originally had 20" wheels, it would have come from the factory with the 3.92 gears. Otherwise, it could have had either the 3.92 or 3.55 gears.

I seriously doubt, if the truck originally had 17s and the dealer swapped over to 20s, that they would have spent the time and money go change out the rear gears. What would they care?

·
Oh yeah, it's a Cummins!
237 Posts
matcjr said:
How can I tell or find out what gear ratio my truck has. I got it from the dealer with 20'' wheels on it already and I have heard that if you change the tire size you it is preffered to switch out the gears if so could the dealer have done this when the tires were switched? By the way they are not factory installed wheels so more and likely they were done at the dealership.
Here is what the axle tag looks like on the 9.25 inch rear end.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I checked the glove box and the axel and I got 3.55. Question is about how much would it cost to get 3.92 or 4.10, and where?

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
About a grand, parts and labor, give or take. If you have a 4x4, figure even more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.