Ok Magnumites. . . I need your help!

I am looking at a 2005 Magnum RT with the following options:

- DVD-based GPS Navigation System
- Electronics Convenience Group
- Convenience Group II
- Sirius Satellite Radio
- Power Sunroof

MSRP = $35,290

I got an internet price from a local dealer on this model for $31,999 + ttl.

However, there is a fairly local dealer that has a used one with the same exact equipment with only 10,000 miles that had it listed for $29,995 (internet pricing). I have gotten him down to $28,700.

So, I'm looking at about a $3,330 difference for 10,000 miles? What makes better sense to you all?

Thanks,

Denthird
"RT owner-to-be"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Used dealer dropped price again

The dealer of the used Magnum R/T just dropped the price again to $28,000! This model has Navigation, steering wheel controls, dual zone climate, sunroof, and an upgraded hood. . . here's a pic. . . wondering if I should jump on this one or buy new. . . now, it's about a $4,000 gap between this one with 10,000 miles and buying brand new.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
You'd save 13% buying used over new. Are you paying cash? If not then check the math with financing charges because often they are higher with used cars.

Also, if you plan on financing there is a $1000 incentive to use Chrysler financing which would bring the difference to 10%.

Are you (atleast) 90% certain that the 10,000 miles didn't reduce the life of the car? i.e. how was it driven/maintained?

·
Registered
463 Posts
It would also depend on when the previous owner bought the car. Is that 10K miles over 6 months or 6 weeks? :D I've had my baby for 6 months and just passed the 12K mile mark.

I would go with the used one simply for the money saved. Think about it. If new, in about 6 months or so you'll have around 10K miles on it anyway, thus reducing the resale price around $4K anyway. Hell, it will probably drop $4K when you drive it off the lot! The hood is a nice touch. New hood probably ran $500 - $700 bucks plus the paint job.

Just check her out really well before commiting. Take her for a good test run first. Nail the gas and see what she does. If she bogs or sputters then you'll know right away what to do. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Does the used car come with all the warranty? I know you have to pay to transfer part of it. Will you have to pay any extra for a full warranty? If it isn't completely covered, I'd be wary. Do you need all the upgrades that come with the car? If you removed the upgrades, can you buy a new car for about the same?

You have to ask yourself: Why did the previous owner get rid of a new car? Did they screw something up when they broke it in? Is there something wrong with it? Was it in an accident and repaired? Every used vehicle I've ever bought had something wrong with it. Some where minor problems, some major. As they say, if the car was great, they wouldn't have gotten rid of it, and when you buy used, you're buying somebody Else's problems. I'm sure the dealer has done all the diagnostics and everything checks out OK, but make sure you are covered!
Then there's always the fun of driving a car that only has 1 mile on it and breaking it in the way you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am definitely swaying towards new now hearing all of your feedback. I have the money to buy new with the options that I want, but I still want to make sure I get the best deal.

Thank you all so much for such great feedback!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cause the dealer I bought from in IA has usualy 60 or so Magnums on the lot in many configs and I thougt you might do even better on the price (as I did).
BTW I drove 250 miles from Chicago to get that deal.

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
Yeah those midwest dealerships are just amazing. DC really screwed the pooch allocation-wise early in the '05 model year. You should be able to steal one new off one of those lots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.