DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a cold air intake for my 99 dak sport. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to which intake had the best effect on our trucks?

·
Registered
139 Posts
...which intake had the best effect on our trucks?
+1. :rck:
I too am looking for a CAI and would like to know which is a good bang for the buck. I have been on Ebay.com and seen many after market CAI, but ya never know if they are for looks or overall optimal performance. (Got me a Auto 4.7LQC)

This one seems interesting: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-01-2002-Dodge-Dakota-Durango-Dual-Twin-Air-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem200271302376QQitemZ200271302376QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Any thoughts on this one, or is anyone running it with good results?? Looks like it wuld suck all the hot air off the top of the engine in, IMO..

·
Grey RT with Navi.
230 Posts
It looks like it has starting potential for the price. I would add more tubing and get the filters to a different location. I think I will order one and see what I can do with it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
i have one on my 4.7, its a K&N fipk2 which is emmisions compliant if that realy matters. you will have to look at my garage or gallery to see it, it wont let me attatch any pics for some reason.
yea a friend of mine has that intake on his 3.7 ram.
but yea look at jegs and they have some chrome extenson tubes that should fit it so you can get the filtes to suck up some cold air.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
hey what ever works for ya. its amasing how just a drop in filter will help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put the Twin Filter (pictured above) into my 2004 3.7 and noticed a small increase in power along with a big change in the Exhaust sound, Much More Growl. I went to a local tuner shop about a week later and was able to pick up some scrap tubing For Free :) to extend the Filters away from the Engine and noticed right away a sharp jump in power and Mileage. I definitely Recommend!!

·
LX'er
149 Posts
Most of the EBAY kits will increase HP but not as much as a Unit with a really good heat shield or the best solution an enclosed box. If you are building a true performer this is one area where you do not want to cheap out, trust me get a quality product, you will not regret it in the long run. www.airram.com has good prices also check www.performancecenter.com (they have clearance prices ATM)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there much of a difference between the K&N 57 Series FIPK or the K&N 77 Series intake systems? I notice it claims that the 57 series has a better HP increase, yet the 77 series is a bit more money. What is the main difference?

·
LX'er
149 Posts
The 57 is plastic and the 77 is Aluminum. The 57 is a more functional intake, where the 77 adds more style. I like plastic intakes, they are more resistant to heat transfer from the engine, meaning cooler intake air.

57- 8.01 HP @ 4469 RPM

77- 7.71 HP @ 4722 RPM

Looks like the 57's HP increase is more in the middle range where the 77 in is upper-mid.

·
LX'er
149 Posts
No, Problem. I actually prefer the black plastic anyways. The polished intake would be nice if you had a full chrome engine dress up kit but no dress-up kit made for the 4.7's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It looks like it has starting potential for the price. I would add more tubing and get the filters to a different location. I think I will order one and see what I can do with it.
Any updates on that project? :D
i bought one too. I'll letcha'all know how it goes.

·
No Rest for the Wicked
676 Posts
Voicing my opinion the K&N 57 Series FIPK I believe the plastic version would be best. Just cant beat it. Unless you want style then the 77... but other then that 57 be great.

·
Registered
139 Posts
UPDATE:

I installed my intake today. Its the duel filter element one pictured above. Fitment to my 01 4.7L is like a glove. Unfortunately, i bought some universal heat shields to TRY and deflect some of that engine heat its sitting above. (Looking at the engine form the front) The Right had enough clearance, but the Left side had too much air conditioner piping and what not. I'm going to do my best to modify the heat shields to see what happens.

I set my PCM to 'Performance' via Superchips and added 91 octane - MAN, its a whole new truck. not only does it growl like a pissed off Rottweiler, AND its got way more power than before. :cheerl:

·
Registered
22 Posts
UPDATE:

I installed my intake today. Its the duel filter element one pictured above. Fitment to my 01 4.7L is like a glove. Unfortunately, i bought some universal heat shields to TRY and deflect some of that engine heat its sitting above. (Looking at the engine form the front) The Right had enough clearance, but the Left side had too much air conditioner piping and what not. I'm going to do my best to modify the heat shields to see what happens.

I set my PCM to 'Performance' via Superchips and added 91 octane - MAN, its a whole new truck. not only does it growl like a pissed off Rottweiler, AND its got way more power than before. :cheerl:
hows the intake doing so far? you see, I have the same K&N also and love it, I could have found it a little cheaper on ebay, but I wanted a valid warranty so I got it at here. K&N 77-1516KP, or you can try one of the vendors on the forum here, you can usually find a good deal that way as well. This was very easy to install and I love it. anything I should look out for? thanks :D:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.