DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know or have a list of CIA's that are legal for CA. ? I don't want to waste the time or money for one that is not. Ramhammer, Airaid or Vararam for instance ? I know K&N is legal. Any info is appreciated.

Tom

· Registered
292 Posts
I am not sure about the intakes that you listed but I have the A.F.E. stage 2 intake (the one with the long tube that puts the filter down by the headlight, NOT the high breather a.k.a. "the heat sucker") and it is C.A.R.B. approved (at least it came with paperwork attesting to this fact.)

· Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
They change out so easy, I still have my stock intake and in a 1/2 hr the Vara Ram comes of and the stocker goes on, Get which ever one you want. Just my thoughts.

· Registered
22,981 Posts
Exactly. Swapping an intake from aftermarket or homebrew back to stock, is a simple thing to do.

KB

· Infinite Lives
6,428 Posts
I am sure the AEM brute force intake is CARB approved.

· Registered
22,981 Posts
As are the Volant, I used to have one.

KB

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far the list is:

1-A.F.E. stage2
2-AEM Brute Force
3-Volant
4-K&N

Any more?

I know they are fairly easy to change, but the whole idea is to get one that is legal/CARB approved so that it doesn't have to be changed or a concern. Thanks for the replies...

· Registered
3,221 Posts
I would double check that the AFE is smog legal. I have the stage II and no where on any of the paperwork or on their website can I find anything that says it is smog legal.

If anyone has proof that it is please share it with us.

Bill

· Registered
22,981 Posts
The Mopar one is smog legal. Its just a copy of the AEM Brute Forcem/Fram Boost which are both supposed to be smog legal I believe.

KB.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
I know that the Mopar one is smog legal. Does anyone know if it comes with a sticker on it or to put somewhere under the hood that says it is legal? I am actually looking at getting one of these to replace my AFE just so that I can have that little sticker.

Bill

· Registered
1,892 Posts
if the sticker will make u feel better, why not just make a sticker that says whatever intake u get is legal?

Daytona1445 said:
I know that the Mopar one is smog legal. Does anyone know if it comes with a sticker on it or to put somewhere under the hood that says it is legal? I am actually looking at getting one of these to replace my AFE just so that I can have that little sticker.

Bill

· Registered
3,221 Posts
The sticker is to make the smog guys feel better.
They will actually look up each and every EO number that you have on your truck to make sure that it is real.
I had an issue before with a set of headers because the tag with the EO number or part number was not welded onto them.
Took 3 different shops to find one that would do the smog test.

Bill

· Infinite Lives
6,428 Posts
simioh said:
if the sticker will make u feel better, why not just make a sticker that says whatever intake u get is legal?
It needs a C.A.R.B OE numer issued by the state.Man,things like this make me love california more and more.Not only is the air great, the traffic is........MAUVOULOUS!!!!!!

· Registered
3,221 Posts
This really makes me want to register my truck in one of the few non smog counties that are left in the state but its only a matter of time before those counties get hit with the smog stick as well.

Bill

· Infinite Lives
6,428 Posts
Daytona1445 said:
This really makes me want to register my truck in one of the few non smog counties that are left in the state but its only a matter of time before those counties get hit with the smog stick as well.

Bill
I thought those didn't exsist anymore??

· Registered
5,505 Posts
When I had my previous car I had an aftermarket cold air intake and the smog tech guy told me as long as it did not throw codes I was fine for visual. Just curious if anybody ever went to get smoged and did not pass the visual for an intake setup? I should be doing mine this coming weekend and might put my old ebay one on and see if I can get away with it.

· Registered
143 Posts
TomsDodge said:
Does anybody know or have a list of CIA's that are legal for CA. ? I don't want to waste the time or money for one that is not. Ramhammer, Airaid or Vararam for instance ? I know K&N is legal. Any info is appreciated.

Tom
Do what I do and call the manufacturer directly for (C.A.R.B 50 State) part numbers if you have doubts. Most smog techs I've dealt with in CA are so strict that the first glimpse of an aftermarket part, they'll wanna see that official exemption number immediately.

Cali is wack for many reasons and this is a tiny reason of one of them.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cavemanhemi said:
Do what I do and call the manufacturer directly for (C.A.R.B 50 State) part numbers if you have doubts. Most smog techs I've dealt with in CA are so strict that the first glimpse of an aftermarket part, they'll wanna see that official exemption number immediately.
I started this thread to narrow down the list before I make calls to confirm the legality. Too many manufacturers and not enough time to call them all. Thats why I'm using the folks here for feedback, no point re-inventing the wheel. :gr_patrio

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.