Which Bedliner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this poll will not change like the last one, MODS! Feel free to delete the old one...

I wanted to do multiple selection, but I want the absolute best product, so you'll have to deal with picking one....

Also, my bed has a ton of scratches inside, so I'll probably go with a spray in liner...but this is for everyone, especially those who don't have a liner yet and don't know what to get.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Line-X has worked well for my Dad.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Line-X works great for me.

Dan

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
I got a LineX done on mine... I saw the process being done on the truck before mine, his bed was all jacked up and rusted too...the went in and grinded it all the way down, then sprayed it...ahhh, it was a beautiful sight when finished...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Wolverine

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sit back and relax, this is gonna be a LONG post from a LINE-X dealer.

There are basically three types of spray in bedliners on the market: 100% polyurethane (most common) like Rhino and Toff, a blend of polyurethane and polyurea like LINE-X and Viper, and 100% polyurea like Xtreme and Full Metal Jacket.

Both polyurea and polyurethane give the bedliner desireable properties, such as the polyurea makes the liner more tear resistant and gives it a higher temperature tolerance and polyurethane has more than double the abrasion resistance of polyurea. The chemistry gets deeper. Let me know if your interested and I'll take to the next level.

My opinion is that the bedliners that are a blend tend to be the better bedliners. Yes, I'm a LINE-X dealer, but so what. You can research the chemistry just like I did before I bought the franchise.

Now, about Toff, which operates mostly in Texas. Toff has recently downsized in the DFW area. Two LINE-X dealers and myself hired Toff's outside sales rep. Toff is owned by a company called Artlux. I have the inside story and I can tell you that there is currently a BIG problem between Artlux and Toff. That's all I should say.

Here's some interesting info:
Here are the market share numbers as compiled by Frost & Sullivan (http://www.frost.com/prod/servlet/frost-home.pag) for the 2004 fiscal year.

Line-X- 37% market share
Rhino- 26.5% market share
Ultimate Lining- 19.5% market share
Speedliner- 4.2% market share
Everyone Else- 12.7% market share

Last Year's (2003) Market Share #s
Rhino- 31.5%
Line-X- 26%
Ultimate Lining- 12.3%
Speedliner- 11.8%
Others- 17.8%

Now, for Bedrug:
Bedrug is a good product and a nice alternative to the other types of bedliners on the market. The only negative comments I have ever heard (and they are minor) are the following:
1. Only comes in gray.
2. Tends to sag a bit after a while.
3. Traps moisture between the rug and the bed.
4. You need to get used to looking at carpet in your bed.

Now, for drop-ins vs. spray-ins:
Drop-ins:
1. Rattle/vibrate
2. Warp
3. Can't be repaired
4. No warranty (or not much of one)
5. Trap water and debris
6. Rub the paint off the truck and can cause rust
7. Take up extra space in the bed
8. Generate static electricity
9. Does not conform to all contours
10. Can fly out of the truck bed

Spray-ins:
1. Don't rattle or vibrate
2. Don't warp
3. Can be repaired
4. Have a warranty (LINE-X offers a nationwide lifetime warranty)
5. Creates a permanent water tight seal
6. Does not create rust
7. Allows for more cargo area
8. Does not generate static electricity
9. Dampens road noise
10. Molds to every contour
11. Will not fly out of the truck bed

Now, warranty: Don't forget to measure up the warranty on these products. Most spray on bedliner dealers will offer a lifetime warranty. But, the warranty is usually only with the dealer that sprayed it. Hopefully, that dealer won't disappear. LINE-X offers a written nationwide lifetime warranty. I hear that Rhino has now changed their warranty to match LINE-X's warranty. However, Rhino does not mention this on their website (and you think they would).

Now, some NEW information regarding LINE-X (yes, I was at this meeting):

"...First Engineered & Cooperative R & D Partnership results with New Line-X-Xtra..."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dallas: Texas (April 2005) With 101 Line-X Dealership Individuals attending their Annual Business and Marketing presentation at the newly constructed Line-X Offices and Distribution Center in Grand Prairie: Texas, one of the eight business topics presented was a new and very unique product offering, Line-X-Xtra Spray-On High Performance Bedliner Top Coating.
Line-X-Xtra is the first product offering resulting from a partnership between Line-X and DuPont Performance Coatings. The spray-on high performance bedliner is a “new benchmark” in exclusive composite coatings, as it combines the world renown strengths of DuPont™ Urethane Technology and DuPont™ KEVLAR®.
Line-X-Xtra features include improved appearance, improved resistance to ultraviolet light and excellent adhesion to the bedliner. In addition, Line-X-Xtra is specially formulated with DuPont™ KEVLAR® micro pulp fiber.
KEVLAR is best known to the general public as the material from which bulletproof vest and military body armor are made.
”We discovered that Line-X-Xtra exhibits an excellent migration of the urethane topcoat with the warm Line-X coating at the application process”, stated Marcy R. Fernandez: DuPont OEM / Fleet Finishes Account Manager. “This migration means the two products become one. Combining this unique topcoat technology and a precise dealer application process with the strength of DuPont™ KEVLAR® helps Line-X-Xtra achieve world-class durability while maintaining the finished product appearance that is so very popular with consumers across the nation and around the world.”
“Line-X-Xtra is the next generation in the spray-on bedliner industry product offerings”, stated Claudio Burtin: Line-X Product & Company Founder. “With almost two million existing Line-X Spray-On Truck Bedliners, and the soon to be offered Line-X-Xtra top coating, specially formulated with DuPont™ KEVLAR®, this one plus two product combination better develops our product portfolio offerings to the marketplace…and continues to position Line-X as the industry leader.”
The Line-X and DuPont Partnership Team is currently working on the final details of the Line-X-Xtra product packaging, consumer advertising, applicator training and product rollout.

My understanding is the LINE-X Xtra will be out sometime in the next few months.

Had enough? Let me know if you have any questions.

·
drsoffroad
249 Posts
Dodgemeister said:
Now, for Bedrug:
Bedrug is a good product and a nice alternative to the other types of bedliners on the market. The only negative comments I have ever heard (and they are minor) are the following:
1. Only comes in gray.
2. Tends to sag a bit after a while.
3. Traps moisture between the rug and the bed.
4. You need to get used to looking at carpet in your bed
Let's look at those alleged "negatives" about a bedrug:
1) Matches my gray truck, what's wrong with that?;)
2) So do implants if you wait long enough, but we don't mind Pamela Anderson now do we?
3) The material it's made of is "breathable", (read:air passes through it) so does water. There are drain holes in the bed of your truck for large amounts of water. Better yet, put a tonneau cover on and get rid of most of the water ever touching your bed.
4) And that is a negative? I'd say the exact opposite, you will like the cushy comfortable look of the bedrug and so will lady friends (score: bedrug 3, line-x in my old truck 0). Keep in mind that those are a unique 3, repeats not counted:D:D:D and I've only had the bedrug a couple months

Go ahead, spray in a liner if you want, I'm keeping me my bedrug which I can hose out and spray with carpet cleaner or Febreze

·
Registered
124 Posts
A couple additional points I'd like to add:
I have owned plastic liners and currently own a Rhyno Liner.

Plastic liner con:
Things slide all over the bed (similar to no liner)

Rhyno Liner cons:
Things don't slide - they tip over.... and roll around the bed (gas cans, tool boxes, etc.) Things don't easily slide into or out of the bed.
It easily gouges and is not durable
Fades

For my next truck, I am going to try a Bedrug. Ironically, I bought a Bed Rug for my 1998 short bed, and have never used it, and I'm going to sell the truck soon. Anyone interested in buying it? Email me at [email protected]

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
I vote for the TOFF liner above all other spray-in liners I've dealt with (including Line-X).

www.toffliners.com

·
drsoffroad
249 Posts
I almost forgot the most important point about my Bedrug, I paid right around $300. I belive the sray-ins that I saw were $450 and up. So the Bedrug is better AND costs less by a third or more of a spray in, I think most anybody can figure THAT out.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Austin Texas - 479.00 for a Line-X, Over The Rail + Taxes
San Antonio (78 mi South of Austin) - 379.00 OTR + Tax
McAllen Texas (325 mi South of Austin) - 299.00 OTR - No Taxes....

Yeah, mcallen is 325 miles south, but I have family there, so next time I have to go home, I might get this done.

·
drsoffroad
249 Posts
Well, I have never seen anyone offer a full size pickup spray-in for under $450. Considering the amount of labor involved, $300 seems like a good deal if that's what you want (assuming those prices you got don't include some other charges). Still, it's the same price as a bedrug that looks much better, works better and cleans up just as easy with a good spraying with just "rinse" at one of those self serve car wash places.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Line-X :cool: Whoa! had to get my shades, dats bright! :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not to many brands will spray color matches. There are a few LINE-X dealers, including myself, that use a really neat method. We use Dupont Nason, which is an automotive paint so the liner will not fade. We take the factory paint code to a professional paint store and they mix the paint to the factory specs. Other brands may just put pigment in the liner, those will fade really bad. Heat/high pressure applications (typical of liners that contain polyurea) can also spray in logos. The cold/low pressure applications (typical of 100% polyurethane liners) can't do it.

Some NON-fading color matches:

Some logos:

·
Tape On
829 Posts
I like my factory under rail bedliner.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looks like Line-X is beatin' out all....

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
johninaustin said:
looks like Line-X is beatin' out all....
Yeah and Ford has the number one selling truck, but that doesn't make it the best either.;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Line-x was only $386 including tax. Also here is a link for $20 off. Scroll down it will say in blue print your own discount coupon. Trey

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.