DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
They call me Fred???
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been covered before, but there should be a thread (maybe even a sticky) for newbies as to what mods are good for begginers. Most of the threads on here seem to be geared around you guys who already have fairly modded motors.

I only have an exhaust and K&N filter, but obviously want more. Of all of the parts available, from PCMs to blowers, what would be a good list of parts to get, or better yet, what order makes the most sense. E-fan before headers, or the other way around, do throttle body spacer really do what they say, or are there other mods where that money should go to? Obviously a stall converter would be farther down the list as well, but how far down?

Thanks in advance guys, we all need to dream right?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
makes perfect sence to me. It will help keep people from making mistakes and wasting money..
my mods went in the order of
CIA
Custom true duel exhaust
Superchips (had to wait for that to be released)
Headers
Auburn limited slip
Gears
Torque converter and shift kit.
Efan

Had there been a post like you are talking about i might have done a different order.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are you looking for street performance, or track?
For the throttle body spacer, dont wast your money, i had one, and it made a cool sound at about 3k rpm, but i took it off and took my trcuk to the track, seemed to go a little faster without it.
Im currently saving up for headers, from what i have been told chip and headers on top of what you have will make the biggest difference.

·
N20 Fed Hemi
670 Posts
Here's the order I would take:
True Dual Exhaust
CAI
Diablo (Since your an 03)
Headers
Gears
Efan
Heads and Cam
Torque Converter

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
There are so many different ways and in what order due to what your final acomplishment would be (hopefully).
Theres mods for towing, street performance, looks w/power,race track,off road.
Nothings really carved in stone. Judging from your information shown so far i'm guessing looks w/ power. If i'm right I would add to your present mods as follows;

#1 Depending what K&n you have
#2 headers
#3 gears/ LSD
#4 an expandable tuner, DSP (it will handle unforseen mods)
#5 e-fan
#6 tranny goodies (VB & TQ)
#6 top end goddies (cam & heads/ head work)

Then it can not only look good (like it does) but run good (like it could)
,IMHO :D

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
No More Sticky's

·
They call me Fred???
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I understand that different combinations of parts will yield different results, but that is where we could differentiate, or come up with even a starter list for the average Joe. Then if major power is wanted, that's where they turn to the obvious items such as blowers or stroker kits.

I mean in this particular forum, the majority of people are looking for major power while keeping streetability. In other words pulling 13's and still taking the truck to work during the week. I plan on taking my truck to the track later this year, but obviously need to plan a few more mods first. I also know from past experience (with my old Dakota) there are some mods that aren't worth spending the coin for, but every motor reacts differently to different parts.

Maybe what I'm asking is just too broad of a topic anyway. I still would like more opinions on what products to use and the order to install them.

Thanks so far guys.

·
Motörhead For Life!
8,400 Posts
You should also keep in mind that not everyone has a hemi,But most of the Entry level mods will work on the 4.7, 3.7 @ the hemis.

first 4. not in any order
CIA
exhaust
Superchips (had to wait for that to be released)
Headers

Next is Cams

·
Gods Chariot...the CH-53E
464 Posts
id say a cai, exhaust (including headers), SCT/Diablo are a great start. then you can move to a cam, gears, torque converter, valve body, heads. these are all in no particular order though. dont forget to make that suspension tight as well. i see you have a drop...but dont forget to throw in som caltracs, a sway bar, and some drag radials on 17s.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well if your going for the daily driver route. I suggest Intake, header, exaust, and chip. this is a good start. Good daily performance, and when you really want to go fast, such as at the track, throw in a bottle, I drive 25 miles to school 3 days a week, and with a 100 shot im closing in on 13's. Once i get headers in ill be pulling high 14's with no juice, and with the bottle ill easily break the 13 mark. Ive got 58K miles and have yet to have even the smallest problem.
Just my 2 cents

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
Yes, I understand that different combinations of parts will yield different results, but that is where we could differentiate, or come up with even a starter list for the average Joe. Then if major power is wanted, that's where they turn to the obvious items such as blowers or stroker kits.

I mean in this particular forum, the majority of people are looking for major power while keeping streetability. In other words pulling 13's and still taking the truck to work during the week. I plan on taking my truck to the track later this year, but obviously need to plan a few more mods first. I also know from past experience (with my old Dakota) there are some mods that aren't worth spending the coin for, but every motor reacts differently to different parts.

Maybe what I'm asking is just too broad of a topic anyway. I still would like more opinions on what products to use and the order to install them.

Thanks so far guys.

...pullin LOW 13.1's (ran that with 150k miles on her)...and my daily driver as well...that sounds about right..:D... all motor.. no bottle or forced induction...

·
Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
...pullin LOW 13.1's (ran that with 150k miles on her)...and my daily driver as well...that sounds about right..:D... all motor.. no bottle or forced induction...
Damn your fast, Wanna be my friend?

To the thread starter. It seems to really depend on what floats your boat? N/A, N20 or Forced Induction?

Most guys around here seem to like N/A because of our late lack of tuning. Now a days we have more tuning options and Most N/A guys are fairly fast, our stock pistons don't like FI or N20 much. You could get away with it for a while if it's set up right.....

·
They call me Fred???
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i see you have a drop...but dont forget to throw in som caltracs, a sway bar, and some drag radials on 17s.
I don't need caltracs in my position, but you are right, they will help with wheel hop and axlewrap for most people. My four link suspension it tight as hell, absolutely no axlewrap.

Thanks again guys, seems like most of the lists are basically the same. Any new parts that we haven't thought of so far?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
ooo...I want a four link...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.