DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a CB in thier truck. Can't seem to find a good place to put it. Might jus plop it on the dash above the center stack and hang the talker from the rearview mirror via bungee cord :D Need some suggestions

·
Registered
385 Posts
I put mine on the passenger's side of the transmission hump kind of tucked under the dash.... leaves a convenient spot to run the coax down through the floor shifter area, and a Mic clip can be screwed into one of the existing holes in the dash. I like my setup since it is not intrusive into the functionality of anything.... I should really snap some pics and show you guys!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lets see em!!! :cool:

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you remove the plastice cover piece under the cup holders and ash tray? ? Is there enough room for it there??? Possibly mod something in..???

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Daytona_Dan said:
If you remove the plastice cover piece under the cup holders and ash tray? ? Is there enough room for it there??? Possibly mod something in..???
EXACTLY what I have had in mind for a long time now, I just never got around to doing it. My CB (an older Cobra model) will slide in perfectly. You'll need to fab up some mounting brackets and it will require an external speaker, but thats no big deal.

Either that, or if you can find one of those visor shelves, you could mount it on that. I've seen those on Ebay off and on, but I never jumped on it. I am short, so I can get away with a visor shelf, but if you already have trouble with headroom, that is not the way to go.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Alright, here are some pics of my setup...

Here is where I put the mic hanger...

What I did for bracketry was use some 3/16" round stock that was in the back of the truck when I bought it, bent it up so that the driver's side hooks under the transfer case shifter boot trim (there is a stamped steel piece underneath the plastic trim that the round stock hooks under). The passenger side wire just supports the radio so that it is level. If I were to do this again I would use some flat bar.... it would be easier to work with.

·
Registered
476 Posts
looks good dirt devel, Do they still sell the earnhardt ones like that?, They are sweet

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Very nice setup. Too bad I have a big stick coming out of the floor right there! ;) :)

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Very nice Dirt Devil!! So where is the kicker? LMAO......I miss my old CB radio. I had a Cobra XL with a shooting star 350 Kicker. WOW the people I could make mad round here with that thing.LOL Not to mention talk skip to the West Indies! LOL

One place to mount it up out of the way is in the ash tray's area. Unless you use your ash tray. You don't really want to have to reach for your cb dials so the closer the better. Another Idea is to get one of those shelf type things that mount up where the sun visors are. You could mount it in there and it would be easy to reach and you wont be looking at the floor to change channels. If it's above you you can keep your eyes on the road better. JMO tho. Good luck

·
Registered
385 Posts
Don't have a footwarmer on her yet, but when I find this non-existant spare time I plan to build one... I ran across some instructions a while back but have not had the time to play with it yet. I have heard some fun things to do with all that power when you are in a walmart parking lot... lol.
I don't have a problem reaching for my dials with my monkey arms, but I can see how others may have that problem.
Doesn't look like the Dale Sr. ones are available anymore, but they do make a limited edition Dale Jr. radio now. I bought mine from One Stop Electronics. They have the Dale Jr. radio on their site right now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 99 Durango that holds a cb with using only the bracket that came w/ the radio. Dont know if the inside of 96 trk is the same as a 99 suv or not, but if it is, let me know and send a few shots of how I mounted it. BTW, if you guys ever have questions about mounting cb, sats, or replacement radios, give me a shout, I installed that mess for over 5 years.

·
Registered
332 Posts
hemi_dakota94 said:
EXACTLY what I have had in mind for a long time now, I just never got around to doing it. My CB (an older Cobra model) will slide in perfectly. You'll need to fab up some mounting brackets and it will require an external speaker, but thats no big deal.

Either that, or if you can find one of those visor shelves, you could mount it on that. I've seen those on Ebay off and on, but I never jumped on it. I am short, so I can get away with a visor shelf, but if you already have trouble with headroom, that is not the way to go.
Im 6'1" and had to take one of those out of my old 87' silverado had to look under it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
ozzy60107 said:
If it is in reach put the clip on the cb itself
with the top of the clip facing out.
Why put more holes in your truck.
Didn't put another hole in the truck, just used a longer screw in an existing hole. Believe me... I HATE it when people screw stuff into the dash, or any interior panel. I do find it more convenient to be able to grab the mic without leaning over, plus the cord is not laying on the floor and getting tangled. But hey, this is all just our personal prefference and opinions... keep em coming!

·
Registered
257 Posts
When I had mine I just drilled holes under the center dash, and mounted it in there. Worked fine for me. If I ever get around to getting another CB I'll put it back in the same spot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sneezer said:
When I had mine I just drilled holes under the center dash, and mounted it in there. Worked fine for me. If I ever get around to getting another CB I'll put it back in the same spot.
Thats where i have mine but if you have 4x4 shifter gets in the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what about mounting it in roof between visors (old trucker style) my 88 is just a old work truck so im not to worried about fancy mounting
btw i like the mounts on the floor keeping that one level

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up makin' me a bracket an 3m taping it on top of the dash Freightliner M2 Style . My mic don't have a clip, so I have it hangin from the rearview mirror with a bungee cord. I'll post pics when I get a chance. :cool:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here it is, I like it

·
Registered
2 Posts
My exp with "footwarmers" in my Dak90'....

The wipers would "ghostly" turn on when I keyed the mic! after awhile of that, at a stoplight in gear, my Dakota would stall... Under load either in city or highway, it would chug buck and kick while keying down....
Most of my ham/cb friends told me to chk ALL ground cables including body to frame and such...
Even with this thread being a few months old, I wanted to add this to the topic!
I never did chk any grounds, I just yanked the system! I figured it was screwing TOO much with the computer. Also later I didnt even have to have that "heater" box on, if I had my RFgain up to much on the radio itself, that would do the same thing!!!! Go figure. OBTW the radio is a 2950 1st gen with a 250w Boomer w/HI~Med~Low and Receive switch.
No pic but here's one of my ant.... Which TRUELY work well...SKIP is awesome. re; Brazil England, Aussie land All over North America, South central Mexico

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.