DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 01 2500 CTD. I have noticed lately that when i get in the throttle no black smoke comes out when in the past it blew lots. I had a guy tell me that the injectors were stopped up but still have power just no smoke. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing when it get's real cold outside. I know some of it is cold fuel/less lift pump fuel pressure. It might also be the fuel isn't lighting off good enough to even smoke. When we had a warm spell recently, the smoke & extra power returned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't think about the cold weather affecting it thats probably what's going on . What do you mean about the fuel lighting off?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sorry, combustion cycle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
All ways keep a eye on your lift pump. Do you have a gauge on it???
combustion will burn better when it is cold out side
The timing advance in cold weather as well.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
All ways keep a eye on your lift pump. Do you have a gauge on it???
combustion will burn better when it is cold out side
The timing advance in cold weather as well.
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask :eek:, thanks!

What's your lift pump fuel pressure Jon D ?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Waita minute...do you mean to say you haven't installed a lift pump fuel pressure gauge after acknowledging The Return of the Son of The New Guy Info?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fuel pressure gauge is the FIRST thing any 98.5-02 Cummins owner should install. As far as the smoke thing goes, as cool as black smoke looks, it's wasted $$$. Don't get me wrong, I earned a letter from the great state of Texas for excessive exhaust emissions in Austin aka Little San Francisco and I'm proud of it. Having the capability to black out I-35 is beyond sweet, it's still wasted fuel. When I had the 200hp sticks I would haze white smoke at idle, which is raw fuel. As was stated before, cold air is denser than hot air. Meaning better combustion and less smoke. Hence the reason everyone wants a cold air intake, the denser the air charge the more fuel can be burned. Timing also enters this equation. That sound about right Clunk?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sounds good to me CumminsTex.
Mine seems to run best around 60F with these big hole, no-name nozzles.
Temperatures as low as near freeezing were good with the Stage 3 Jammers so these bigger ones must not squirt as fine as the Jammers.
The idle is clean so we'll see how they do on the emission smoke test this spring.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
Waita minute...do you mean to say you haven't installed a lift pump fuel pressure gauge after acknowledging The Return of the Son of The New Guy Info?
well, Mr. Clunk, i have no power mods done the the truck(he says as he's about to order a Edge Juice w/ Attitude:rck:)

and, besides, i'm still not 100% sure on how yer setup worked anyway

:dunno:

:help:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
well, Mr. Clunk, i have no power mods done the the truck(he says as he's about to order a Edge Juice w/ Attitude:rck:)
Yeah...he said he was gonna do a Juicew/Attitude:rck:

[/QUOTE]and, besides, i'm still not 100% sure on how yer setup worked anyway

:help: [/QUOTE]

I dunno either, I just look at pictures:cheerl: ...in my Gallery/page 2

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
Yeah...he said he was gonna do a Juicew/Attitude:rck:
and, besides, i'm still not 100% sure on how yer setup worked anyway

:help: [/QUOTE]

I dunno either, I just look at pictures:cheerl: ...in my Gallery/page 2[/QUOTE]

so, that hose just screws into the vp44 pump and the other end to the gauge?

and that small line is the return line, right, and i was talkin bout myself when i said the edge thing,

i'm gettin an edge

prob gonna do the cheapo gauge that same day

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Nope, disregard the small amber line...it's for bleeding air onna gasser. It's not on the line now.
Yup, the Fuel Pressure check kit hose screws one end onto the Schrader Valve on the injector pump and the other end where the 0-100psi gauge is screwed on is the end to start adding the greasegun lines.
Take off the gauge that comes with the kit.
The greasegun line extensions (3500psi) have 1/8"NPT male threads so the female fittings have to be bought too. The needle valve (1/4 open to dampen the pressure pulses) has to be bought also as well as a 0-30psi gauge.
You might take the list to a NAPA or O'Reilly's and see if they can fix you up. Don't forget the Permatex non-hardening thread sealer.
It's kinda involved but you can save a few bucks over a ready made if you have the time to chase the parts.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
Nope, disregard the small amber line...it's for bleeding air onna gasser. It's not on the line now.
Yup, the Fuel Pressure check kit hose screws one end onto the Schrader Valve on the injector pump and the other end where the gauge is screwed on is the end to start adding the greasegun lines.
The greasegun line extensions (3500psi) have 1/8"NPT male threads so the female fittings have to be bought too. The needle valve (1/4 open to dampen the pressure pulses) has to be bought also as well as a 0-30psi gauge.
You might take the list to a NAPA or O'Reilly's and see if they can fix you up. Don't forget the Permatex non-hardening thread sealer.
It's kinda involved but you can save a few bucks over a ready made if you have the time to chase the parts.
ok, now that i know all that chit, i'll go ahead and do that when i install the edge's pyro sender

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I keep adding to my last post.
Do you know how to install yer pyrometer?

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
I keep adding to my last post.
Do you know how to install yer pyrometer?
it comes w/ instructions, right:dunno:

and besides, i thought you just drilled and tapped a hole in the exhaust manifold and put the S.U. in the hole, then ran the wires where they need to go:help:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yup.
got a pic and info on that too. I forget what size tap & drill though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fuel pressure idle is 15psi and WOT about 12psi.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.