DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 Durango that I purchased new with a factory installed tow package.
I went to hook up my camper last weekend and no running lights. Check the outlet at the hitch and there is no power there.
Second, I installed a brake controller in the 04 durango and couldn't find the plug they ref. under the dash. I looked all over. I stopped by the dealership and they came out to look quick and they can't find it. Now I'm being told that I have to pay to have it wired. I don't understand this as it was a factory item.
I called customer service at Chrysler and they have no idea. They say it's up to the dealer weather or not I'm charged.
Anyways, is the plug maybe hidden? Is there anyway soemone can send a pict tome as to where is is located.
I can't get a straight answer from anyone as to where the plug is or if it was a manufacturing mistake.
Drop me an email if you would like as I need to get this hooked up asap.

· Registered
759 Posts
It is a white plug up under the dash near the kick panel. You really have to stretch to see it. I'll snap a pic tonight and post it for you.

· Registered
413 Posts
As far as the power to the plug is concerned, try looking at the fuse box in the engine compartment. I remember a post not to long ago saying there was no fuse in the slot marked tow lights or something close to that.

· Registered
759 Posts
Sorry for the delay, the site was down earlier. It's just the left of the silver box in the pic. The blue plug is the brake controller. It's to the left behind the e-brake.

Attachments

· Registered
759 Posts
Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard to find if you have it. I did mine myself and I remember it took a few minutes to find it because it tucked behind there. Were you able to find that silver box? If you go directly behind the e-brake and up, it's right there. The recepticle is bolted right to the side if you have it.

· Registered
37 Posts
goathead75 said:
Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard to find if you have it. I did mine myself and I remember it took a few minutes to find it because it tucked behind there. Were you able to find that silver box? If you go directly behind the e-brake and up, it's right there. The recepticle is bolted right to the side if you have it.

i looked at your picture and i must not have it, i just got off the phone with the dealer and he told me the durnago with the hemi can only pull 7150#s we also discussed why they didnt tell me it had no tow package when i was telling everyone there why i was buying a new truck...to pull my large (30') camper. we have come to an understanding that they will put the tow package on and we will split the cost. now that being said what should I insist on having done?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brake Controller Plug

Well, after weeks of calls to the stealership and Chrysler Customer NO SERVICE, I got a stearlership to install the missing part and they would charge me. Charge me the going shop rate.
I called another dealership and they said they would look at it. Come to find out the back and front of the truck was started but nothing in between. They had to order a wire harness. Great American factory workmanship.
The dealer I found that would not charge me, said it was a factory tow pkg, it should be there. So it's warranty work.
Don't ever call customer service and expect them to help. They want to know nothing and they really don't know anything.
They told me it was between me and the stealership, and that Chrysler just sells the vehicle to the stealership. It's like they want nothing to do with the vehicle after it is bought.
I asked customer service who puts the sticker on the vehicle, she said she didn't know. I then asked who there would know. She said she didn't know. I also asked to speak to a manager. She said she was a senior customer support person. I have never seen such bad customer service as I have with Chrysler.
So a word to the wise, the next time you purchase a vehicle from Chrysler, make sure the engine is there, because even if the vin and the sticker say you have an engine you may have to buy one.
My point is, if the manufacture has an item listed as being installed then it should be there. If it's not installed then there is no doubt that the manufacture needs to cover that and make the customer happy. They made me do a lot of running around. I'm not happy and I hate to say even though my brother works for Chrysler and I get a great discount, I may go with another manufacture the next time I purchase.

· Registered
759 Posts
Damn, that's crazy. I can understand where they (DC) would want you to work with the dealer, because really, what are they going to do? I think the dealer should have been more receptive and helpful. You would think they would stand behind the product that they sell and acknowledge that hey, a mistake was made. We're going to make it right. It's not like you were being a tool about it or making it up. I would see if you can get the name of the regional DC rep from your area and make a formal complaint about that first dealer and be sure to mention the other dealer that it actually handling the situation correctly. I'm sure they'll provide the name for you.

Sorry you're having those types of problems. Hope it's all set when you get fixed.

· Registered
28 Posts
Hey the first thing I did was have my service mgr print out a complete build sheet and any time that I add factory part it gets put on the build sheet as a dealer installed item ie: VES system was added after the sale and is now on my build sheet.
Get one and keep copies in the D also update it whenever you have a dealer or factory part installed.

· johnny c's HEMI
740 Posts
rkerr40,
just ran across your post today.
Goathead's picture is accurate with blue plug for factory tow package. You should have also received a small plastic bag in glove box "Electric brake Kit" with instructions and a pigtail for that blue plug for your own aftermarket brake kit for an easy install.
Attached is a PDF of the 2 pages from the service manual explaining the set up and the pigtail..... Also a picture of the brake kit you should have received in your glovebox as noted #2 in manual....
Good luck with the dealer!

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
Hope you don't mind if I jump in on this. In the picture provided it clearly shows the blue plug. Is this just connected to a dummy receptacle until you need to plug in your brake controller?

· Registered
759 Posts
The blue plug is the portion that would be wired to your brake controller. In the picture I posted, it's plugged in. The factory recepticle I believe is black.

· Registered
389 Posts
My non-tow package durango has none of that. I was going to bitch about the $275 cost to buy and install a controller. Maybe now I wont.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.