DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started another thread to ask a question about wiring my horns. I was asked for more info on my install. So as not to divert my own thread, I am starting a new thread to explain the install. I have no pics, but I can get a couple "AFTER" pics. I didn't take any during but it's simple enough to see what I did.

Well First off my truck is a '94 Ram 1500 2wd if that makes a difference.

Under the driver's side bumper the factory horn is mounted to the bracket that goes from the frame to the bumper.
Remove the original horn.
There is a tiewrap attached to the same bracket, remove that.
There is a hole above the hole where the old horn was.
I mounted the compressor in the hole above the old horn hole. I had to use a washer so it didn't slip through, as it is a fairly large hole and only slightly smaller than the nut supplied.
I mounted the longer trumpet in the old horn hole on the opposite side as the compressor for clearence, pointed down.
I mounted the shorter trumpet in the lower hole where the tie wrap was, on the same side as the compressor. I angled both trumpets so they point down, but not into the bumper. So a slight angle from 90*.
I attached the 'Y' for the air to the long trumpet and ran the hose to the compressor and the short trumpet.

The hardest part was holding the compressor up in the hole and adding the washer and nut. I am a big guy and could only get one arm in at a time. I ended up using a piece of tape to secure the bolt in the slot on the compressor and another piece to hold the compressor to the bracket until I got the nut started. Pointing down like they are, they resonate a bit to help with tuning the sound but are essentially outside the vehicle, which makes them louder.

Wiring, is simple. Either hook into the old horn wiring for power and ground (simple), or use the factory wiring as a trigger for a relay (preferred) and run the approrpiate fused wiring from the battery.

I don't know what everyone elses point to air horns is, but mine is simple. I only use my horn to alert another driver if he cuts me off or is about to. Or a similar situation. I don't honk at girls or anything else like that. If I honk it is because somebody needs yelled at, and that is how my truck yells. And I want him to need a change of underwear after I use it.

I have 2 sets of horns, one is higher pitch and the other is a bit lower, 2 trumpets each.
I have seen the ocean liner horn videos. They are funny as hell but quite expensive. This is my alternative.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No opinions?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that a suggestion for me? Or are you saying that's where yours are?

I mounted mine already as described. In my other horn thread, someone asked me to post where and how.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I would mount horns on the hood, and you should use real ram horns too! Oh wait, wrong type of horn! Good information here, anyone who is looking to do this sort of install will benefit from it. I know the 3rd gen has a little more room in front of the front bumber for this, but I guess our 2nd gens have enough as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.