We have a 2006 Dodge SRT 8 Magnum. We knew it had no spare tire...just
a can of "fix-it" in the back. Does anyone know where you would position
the jack under the car? We are planning a long trip and would feel safer
knowing we could change the tire.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you do use the notches behind the rocker cladding, pay close attention to any contact between the jack & the cladding. The cladding is just for show & can't stand any stress.

The lift points on the SRT8 are the donut shaped pads under the car on each side near the rear wheels & the only bit of painted & uncovered subframe you can see just behind the rear wheels & waaay inboard of the rockers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The jack point diagram shown in the attachment to fmarshal3's 11-30-06 post is awsome! He must have got really tired holding his car over his head to take the picture.

A caution .... In addition to making sure that you don't place any stress on the plastic rocker fairings when using the notched rocker jack points, check the maintenance manual at your dealer regarding using the two front suspension points & the rear differential point. The LX maintenance manual I have specifically cautions against using those three points to lift the car.

Also, I picked up a cad plated Honda SUV scissors jack & handle at an auto recycler that will lift the car at the notch points without touching the side fairings. The jack & handle are very compact & will lift the car from a low point of 3 1/2" (the approximate rocker clearance when a tire is flat) to an extended height of 12 1/2". I looked at aftermarket scissors jacks & the like on the internet, but their minimum height was
4 1/2" to 5" (might not be able to get them under the rocker when I need to).

Denny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Denny

You are absolutely correct about protecting the plastic and about the jack clearance problems. Not having a jack that met either requirement, I built a double 2x6 riser that I drive the front tire on so the jack will clear. I also use a piect of 2x2 on top of the jack to protect things.

I am going to have to go find on of those Honda jacks. Can you give us a little more info on the year of the SUV?

I have one more question for anyone out there. I have read several posts that say a RT wheel will fit on the rear of a SRT8 but you need a 1/2" spacer for the front to clear the brakes. None of the posters have said that the stock RT spare will fit the same way. Having a spare that will fit into the well, even if I also need to carry a spacer, would sure be a warm fuzzy on those long trips. Even a slow limp into the next town is better than waiting for a tow truck! Is there anyone out there who can verify that the spare/spacer would work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately, the jack I found did not have a part number on it, just a line representation of an suv type vehicle & the Honda logo. When you go to the auto recyclers, they may have a bunch of jacks in bins, but the best ones to go to are those that have the jacks on shelves matched up with the correct handle. Just take a tape measure & tell them you are looking for scissors jacks & they'll show you what they have.

I don't have any info regarding R/T wheels/tires as spares for SRT8.

Denny

·
Gettin' groceries...
62 Posts
I stumbled onto a little secret--I've had one of these kicking around my garage for a few years, and who knew it was perfect for our cars??

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...TOOL&subcat=Lift+Equipment&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Why? Well, if you look closely at the bottom of the rocker panels there are two points to jack on--one (front) is a recess, and one (rear) is a hard rubber "pad", but small in diameter--and close to the rocker panel's surface (read: flat saddle jacks work, but typical service jack saddles are 'dished' too much, and the wedges will puch on the rocker cover--not good).

This little jack has a small diameter saddle that will fit into the front recess (thus jacking the subframe directly) and fits the rear rubber pad perfectly. Other small jacks work (as does my other little one), but this jack has a nifty hard plastic case that makes it super easy to toss in the rear lower storage area (after you remove the "cooler") for long trips. I never go long distance without it and a spare (+ changing tools, of course). I worked in the repair biz a long time, and did lots of tires--fix-a-flat has many limitations, and the last place you wanna learn that is in BFE without a spare...and too large a puncture to fix-a-flat. FWIW, I also carry a plug kit for minor problems.

HTH!

trent...:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
A Great Find!

This looks like just the ticket to serve our SRT8 needs! Thanks for passing this on! If you are also a member of other LX forums, please cross-post this info as a new thread into those forums.

MagnumSRT8

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.