DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is another question that might help me figure out my HIGH temp readings :VHOT:
I mounted my Temp sensor in the line that leaves the transmission to the cooler, autometer directions stated that it should be on the return side of the cooler...I read from several other posts that guys wanted TRUE readings of the trans, not what the fluid was cooled down to so they mounted the manifold for the sensor in the line out of trans to the cooler.
Thats where I mounted mine.
Now several people responded to my last post and stated that they never exceeded 260 degrees, and 1 guy stated that he was hitting the same temps that I am, so maybe my temps are not as high as I am being led to believe.
My truck is new so I can always go to the dealer and cry wolf, but I would rather not look like an idiot making a crappy claim..
so please help me out and let me know where yours is mounted, and what kind of temps you are running towing & non-towing.
Thanks a million.
John

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine is mounted in the same loaction on the line out of the tranny. I run about 135 on the high way, 160-190 around town. But when wheelin with it I have almost burried the gauge up around 240. Hope this helps

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention that I have an 05 Daytona 1500 QC.
5.7, 5 speed auto....

·
The Doc
302 Posts
BoneDryRacer said:
OK here is another question that might help me figure out my HIGH temp readings :VHOT:
I mounted my Temp sensor in the line that leaves the transmission to the cooler, autometer directions stated that it should be on the return side of the cooler...I read from several other posts that guys wanted TRUE readings of the trans, not what the fluid was cooled down to so they mounted the manifold for the sensor in the line out of trans to the cooler.
Thats where I mounted mine.
Now several people responded to my last post and stated that they never exceeded 260 degrees, and 1 guy stated that he was hitting the same temps that I am, so maybe my temps are not as high as I am being led to believe.
My truck is new so I can always go to the dealer and cry wolf, but I would rather not look like an idiot making a crappy claim..
so please help me out and let me know where yours is mounted, and what kind of temps you are running towing & non-towing.
Thanks a million.
John
I have an Autometer gauge and it is mounted on the trans line to the cooler. In town I have seen it at its highest around 190-200. On the highway around 125-135. I pulled some stumps out for a guy once and it got up to 210, but didn't stay there long.
The Doc..... :cool:

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
I think that I replied to the other thread of yours. But if I did not, then here is my 2cents. My tranny temp sensor is in the Autometer Temp Manifold, and it is in-line from the trans to the cooler. This will give you the most accurate reading of what is going on inside your trans. You will see more temp fluctuations in this position than anyother. As far as my temps, I tow a 4000* boat all the time, when I am towing in tow/haul mode i still have hit temps of 250*+. In order to keep the temps under control, you must play with the throttle a little. You will feel the trans kick down a gear then trans temps will begn to climb, from there you must either kick down another gear or let off a little to feel it grab a intermediate gear ( or what feels like one) when you feel this, then the TCC has locked up and you will almost immediatly see a reduction in temp. If you still see the temps continue to climb then you have to play around a little more with the pedal to find the "intermediate gear". When I first took my boat up "Donner Pass" in the Sierra Nevadas, my trans temp hit 260* in no time until I found out that even in tow/haul mode the TCC will still not lock-up as you would expect. Then I played around with the throttle a little bit and now I can climb the same grade (6-8%) for 50-75 miles and never have the trans temps go over 180*. Also when you hear the fan clutch kick in for the coolant, you aslo should see a drop in trans temps, although not as dramatic as finding the right gear. I am starting to lean towards getting a new torque converter from APS. I have heard that they work great for towing and general perfonce gains. Hope that this was not too long winded for you, but i saw that you were just as concerned as I was the first time my trans temps hit 250*. Just thought that I might pass along some of my personal experiences, to hopefully help you prolong the life of your $$$$ transmission......

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
This is probably the easiest. Parts are at Geno's garage online. They have a special transmission drain plug kit.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BM-80250

Basically drop the pan, drill a hole, and put the drain plug bung in. The drain plug bung contains the drain plug, which is also the same thread as the temp sensor. Two birds with one stone.

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
senglehart said:
Basically drop the pan, drill a hole, and put the drain plug bung in. The drain plug bung contains the drain plug, which is also the same thread as the temp sensor. Two birds with one stone.
This way might be the easiest but it will not give you very accurate readings. The temp that you see with the pan temp gauge is the oil temp comming from the cooler back to the trans. The number that is most critical is the temp from the trans to the cooler. The Autometer manifold kit is pretty easy to install. All you have to do is find the upper cooler line on the passenger side of the trans, measure out the manifols and fittings, use a tubing cutter and cut the line. Some fluid will come out but not much. Put the fittings on the cooler line and slip in the manifold and tighten down the fittings. Fire it up and check for leaks. Took me about 30min to do....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Silver Bullet is correct, thats why I mounted mine in the trans line as well, and thats why it seems that from all the info that I have gathered those with the sensor mounted in the line out to the cooler run higher temps(true temps) and those in the pan or return side of the cooler run much lower.
..................UPDATE........................
I spoke with the service manager at the dealer I purchased the truck from(Great Guy) and he is going to do the TSB service that is out for the filter in the trans for me, he is also going to install a PML deep pan for me as part of this service.(Yes I have to buy the pan) This will at least save me so cash on filters , fluid , and labor. Beats having to drop it myself.
Secret to having a good relationship with the dealer, I sent the service dept 5 pizza pies a month ago just to say thank you for taking care of me on another non related issue, (besides this is my 4th ram from this dealer)
I am going to get the pan from one of our members here on the board :D Air-Ram has it at a pretty fair price so that is where I will buy it.
Thank you all for responding.
:rck:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Hemi Lawman,
You pick up the parts and I would be more than happy to help you install the parts, I am probably not that far from you if you are north jersey. I am just outside of montvale, and below mahwah. manifold, gauge install , maybe 3 hrs worth of work at a nice CLEAN easy pace.
Let me know.
John

·
Registered
18 Posts
what I did was wire up two sensors, one going in and one coming out.
I wired it to a switch that I mounted near the gauge, I can flip between the two readings to check my cooling system and trans within seconds

when i am wheeling it hard the temps get HOT...250+

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,379 Posts
04 reg cab 2wd hemi
have sensor mounted in the outgoing fluid line
i have towed my car on open trailer (approx 5k lbs.) about 9,000 miles this show past season
(& fyi i have 3.92 factory gears, aem intake, sc set on the towing tune & oem srt 22s & most times have the tow/haul engaged)
here's what i've noticed.

-on highway during day @ 75-85mph i run about 180-190 degrees depending on road grade & outside temps
-on highway during night @ 75-85mph i run about 160-170 degrees depending on road grade & outside temps
-stop n go in towns i run about 210-220 degrees
-highest i've seen is 240 degrees

p.s. yes during 9,000 miles there is a lot of time to check the tranny temp guage. lol

·
Acoustics
1,333 Posts
so the the top line on the tranny is the line to tap into? i got the isspro gauge and the sending unit is short on wire so can i add wire to it? I have the new ACU temp adapter shown here...just clamps over the line so it would be an easy swap if you want to switch lines

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.