DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a real stupid question but where are the torsion bars located? I'm gonna crank them up to level my truck and I think I read enough in here to do this but I just can't seem to find them when I'm under the truck.

There is a picture floating around these boards and now I know what it looks like but after looking and looking I can't find them. Also, that picture is confusing to me a bit. It labels the torsion bar but it also labels 2 torsion adjustment screws in one area. Are they really both located in the same area or is that what it looks like for each tire? And if in the same area which one is for the passenger and which one is for the drivers side? If this isn't so then why are there 2 adjustment screws? Which one do I turn?

In what area is it? I don't know too much about parts yet but I know the basics like where to drain the oil. Is it right next to the tire? Is it in between both tires? Is it where the oil filter goes? Something like that would be helpful. Or maybe pictures!

haha. Sorry. Tons of questions. I guess I could pay someone to do it for me if I'm so clueless about this but I figured I try to save myself some money since a lot of people have done it themselves. Cheapest reputable place I called to inquire about pricing to do this wants $40. I'll try it myself and if I can't do it I'll pay up. Maybe the reason I couldn't find it is because it's a bit muddy under there right now. I may or may not have gone mudding the other day.

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
pretty much right below the drivers and passenger side seats is the bolt you want to tighten

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
Chauncy said:
pretty much right below the drivers and passenger side seats is the bolt you want to tighten
On my truck the bolts are located on or near the crossmember. Also my bolts are white in color. I will try to get pics...

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
Here are some weak pics...
First is the torsion keys with the white bolts next to them..

Now here is pic of torsion bar crossmember in relation to tranny x-member

Now here is a weak pic of the bolt next to the key...

Hope this help you out... :rck: :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Right below the seats huh? I don't think I looked right below the seats area. I was looking more towards next to the tire or in front of the tires. I'll check it out when the sun comes up. Where is the crossmember? I guess I'll check it out first and then ask questions if I need more hellp. Thanks for the pictures. They were really helpful. So is there only 1 adjusting bolt or are there 2 adjusting bolts? Which one do I cram if there are 2 bolts?

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
There are 2 adjusting bolts. One for each bar, they are located on opposite sides of the x-member. If you still need help tonight, I will take more in depth pics for ya. However I have read that when you do crsnk them up thst you might have to buy longer shocks. I have read that the stock one will top out if you go any higher than 1".

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Not sure if this is a joke but if your so unsure about this maybe it would be worth spending the $40.00 and watch it being done. Correctly.
Just my thoughts but if your starting out on car/truck work maybe suspension is not the area to begin in. No offense meant...

·
Registered
560 Posts
No way, don't pay somebody $40 to turn a screw 4 times... that is stupid. It's just a matter of finding the screw. I need to do the same thing, this thread is helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey Man if want to Learn this stuff consider getting the service manual. I got it on CD off ebay cheap a while back.

Also if you are intrested in lifts and suspensions for the 1500 do what I do. Go to all the different websites of lift company like fabtech, skyjacker, superlift , rough country and download the installation directions of there lifts. You can learn a lot by reading these, worked for me at leat.

But then again I knew prior what the torsion Bar was. Also helps to just lay under your truck and stare at it awhile, as dumb as it sounds you'll be able to compare pics to the real thing then.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
acjrocks said:
This may be a real stupid question but where are the torsion bars located? .
HERES A PIC

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's the way I'm thinking right now. Why pay someone $40 turn a screw? It's pretty darn simple. My only problem is finding it. I'm about to check it out right now.

After all the posts no one has answered the question. "Are there adjustment bolts under each side of the truck?"

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
acjrocks said:
That's the way I'm thinking right now. Why pay someone $40 turn a screw? It's pretty darn simple. My only problem is finding it. I'm about to check it out right now.

After all the posts no one has answered the question. "Are there adjustment bolts under each side of the truck?"
did you look at my picture???? if you cant find them then pay the $40 bucks

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
acjrocks said:

Yes, there is one on the right side and left side. Each one controlling its respective side. One turn clockwise is roughly 1/4-1/2" of lift if memory serves me right. You will need to have an alignment performed after cranking them as the caster and toe in of your tire will be out of spec after the crank. Not enough to cause severe handling issues, but enough that you need to make it a priority to get it aligned so that your tires do not wear on the outside shoulder prematurely.

Also, one thing to note, since the truck's weight is not balanced 50/50 left to right, I found that it required slightly different amount of turns on each bolt to achieve my 1.5" of lift. I took a stock measurement from the fender center to the ground (make sure inflation on tires is equal and on lvl ground) and then cranked each bolt a little until I achieved my desired 1.5". Drive around for a bit to let them settle, and readjust again if needed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found it! And if you look at my first post up there you'll see why I couldn't find it. There was a lot of dry mud under there and I found the keys but I couldn't find that damn bolt. Well I looked and looked and it was under a bunch of dry mud. I'm taking pictures so you guys can see. I'll post later today.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is another question. I think I've read ALL the torsion bar posts and I don't get how some people turn it 5 times and they get 2 inches but some people turn 5 times and they get 1.25 or 1.5 inches. Whats the deal? Also, are some trucks lower in the front than others stock? If this is true then some people would be able to turn more than others right?

I read this one post of this guy who turned it 8-10 times and he said he was fine. Maybe his truck was lower than others stock?

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
acjrocks said:
Here is another question. I think I've read ALL the torsion bar posts and I don't get how some people turn it 5 times and they get 2 inches but some people turn 5 times and they get 1.25 or 1.5 inches. Whats the deal? Also, are some trucks lower in the front than others stock? If this is true then some people would be able to turn more than others right?

I read this one post of this guy who turned it 8-10 times and he said he was fine. Maybe his truck was lower than others stock?
I lifted the front of my truck, I used the offset Keys that the torsion bars sit in, You will NOT need to buy new shocks, Just dont go past 2.5 inches of lift, they say it will prematurley wear out the CV Axles in the front end. You may also need a Floor jack to take the pressure off of the Torsion bars if the bolts are way to tight to turn. I would measure the distance from the center of the rim to the lip of the fender well before starting anything so you know your height from the start like another member has already stated. I would also take a thread count off of the bolts in case you need to go back to stock height you will be relatively close to where you started in case you cant get it leveled in the higher position. Be Careful not to break the bolt or you will have a fun time unloading torsion bars to replace a bolt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ladies and gentleman I have done it! My truck has never looked better. I gained about 2' I think, I'm still working on specific calculations and I'm going to set up a simple web page to post on my site on what I did. Obviously very simple but some good before and after pictures.

I drove it around town to see how it feels. Right away I can tell it feels tighter but I like it. At first I couldn't notice problems with the shocks when I was driving it but when I hit a little dip it felt a bit weird but maybe it was because I rarely take that road. Maybe it would have felt weird before the adjustment also. I do want to replace the shocks after this just to be safe. I've read that shocks from a 2001 4x4 ram will work. Anyone know how much they run for? I've also heard ranchos 9000s. Is that right?

I called places on estimates for alignments and no one had prices around what I had estimated. Some truck place told me it would be around $25-35 to get it aligned but they don't do that there. They only do lifts and stuff. So I called expecting prices like those and everyone wants $59 or higher. Lowest I found was $44.

I live in South Texas where Hurricane Emily should be arriving sometime after midnight tonite so all the places were closed today due to this. No alignment done today. I will have to wait till after the hurricane so these places can open up. It's not like I drive around a lot. Only time I drive is when I work and I have today and tomorrow off. It's perfect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You know its hard to beat a site that some dudes that dont even know each other crawl under there beloved trucks and take pics for someone they may never meet.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
Just a small note for ya acjrocks, I took my truck to the dealership for the alignment and it cost me $80, but the truck drives great down the road, not many places aligment places can do a better job then the dealership because they have to have a software upgrade to the alignment rack computer for the new vehicles and they do nothing but Dodges all day long. On the shock note, I am running Bilstein Factory 4x4 shocks all the way around and it drives great, If I decide to go with a lift kit then I will need to go with the longer tubed shocks specificly for lifts which is a diffrent part number. Call Daryl @Shox.com and tell him you are a DT member and you will get all 4 shipped for $240 total. They are out of California so it will take a few days to get to you. Part # BE5-6928-HO (FRONT) Part # BE5-2550-H1 (REAR)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In reply to that post up there, yup, there's nothing like people posting stuff for other people that don't know each other. Heck me, I don't know that much but I've learned many things through here. If you post something, someone is bound to get at least something out of that one post. It's a like a knowledge center. Very cool.

I like to chronicle everything I do in life. I don't know why. So based on that I chronicle any major thing I do to my truck, especially since it's my first truck. I'll post a link to my experience doing this later.

About the alignment. Do I need only a front alignment or all 4 alignment? I noticed that many places I called only did 4 tire alignments.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.