DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed that since my engine light has been on for a while now that my truck has been abnormally slower than usual and not peppy as it is. Do the computers hold back timing or power when the engine light is on in order to save the engine or something?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I wouldn't think it would unless it was a per-code basis. Subscribed to learn more..

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
What's the CEL number?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
p0456 which is an evap leak or something with emmisions, but the code started popping up after i put longtubes and cut off the cats.

Hey does anyone have a pic of the EVAP canister, im going to check that out.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
p0456 which is an evap leak or something with emmisions, but the code started popping up after i put longtubes and cut off the cats.

Hey does anyone have a pic of the EVAP canister, im going to check that out.
Do a search on O2 non-fouler install. It a no-no in some parts of the country but it could be what you need.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
well that code would be the reason you truck has less pep. so the cel doesnt hold back power per say, more like the reason there is a cel that causes a problem

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do a search on O2 non-fouler install. It a no-no in some parts of the country but it could be what you need.
i do have non foulers double stacked in there, so you think that is the problem that i need to put in some steel wool? i never thought it could be the 02 because the code doesnt say "02", just evap, so it could be.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
i do have non foulers double stacked in there, so you think that is the problem that i need to put in some steel wool? i never thought it could be the 02 because the code doesnt say "02", just evap, so it could be.
Most evap problems are the cheap gas cap. When I got an evap error, I put a little baby oil on the gas cap gasket. I got the error a few more times but once I got the gasket to soften-up a little, I haven't gotten anymore CEL's for the evap. I'd start there unless you have an aftermarket fuel system smoker and an afternoon to kill tracing vacuum hoses.

·
Im wired!!!
2,344 Posts
i just got the same code on friday, im not noticing a loss of power. fuel cap is 3 months new. ill track the problem dolwn sometime this week, im not sweating it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
my trucks computer knows when the cel is on cause when i use the remote start it shuts off about 20 seconds later normaly if the lights not on it will stay running for a while. i dont know if it would effect pewrformance though but from my statement my truck does act different

·
15,912 Posts
Here is an explanation of the code. Make sure you check the gas cap and all the hoses going to and from the EVAP canister which is usually located along the framerail on the driver's side.

Clicky to make biggy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
could it be my 02 non fouler? if you think so then ill jam some steel wool in it

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
I thought I'd heard that any CEL flags the ECM and puts the truck in "safe mode" which does reduce power some. It's not much, but like 90% of normal or something to relieve any stress on any components that might need replacing.

·
SRTs wanna b like me
2,607 Posts
sub'd ive had codes for a long time and i think its killin my power too. mine are o2 sensor codes

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
sub'd ive had codes for a long time and i think its killin my power too. mine are o2 sensor codes
ya if it has to do with the 02 sensor that will definatly cause issues cause it controls air/fuel the engine puts in

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
my trucks computer knows when the cel is on cause when i use the remote start it shuts off about 20 seconds later normaly if the lights not on it will stay running for a while. i dont know if it would effect pewrformance though but from my statement my truck does act different
of course the computer knows its on.... it put it on... maybe im wrong, but i really doubt that just because the CEL is on your truck turns off the remote start. on the same lines wouldnt it make sense that just because the CEL is on it would hold back power it would make sense that there is a REASON the CEL light is on, therefore somethings not right with the engine.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so just get a packet of steel wool from walmart and jam it in the non foulers and tight as i can?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I thought I'd heard that any CEL flags the ECM and puts the truck in "safe mode" which does reduce power some. It's not much, but like 90% of normal or something to relieve any stress on any components that might need replacing.
It'll only put the truck in "limp-home" mode under certain conditions, not just any CEL. If the CEL blinks, that's the bad one. The truck doesn't reduce power because of the CEL but because of what is triggering the CEL. If the truck has a lean condition and triggers the light, the lean condition causes the shitty drivability, not the light. An EVAP CEL has nothing to do with an O2 sensor, it's all about the EVAP system. Usually a cracked, leaking, vacuum hose and should not affect drivibility at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.