DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when is a good time to stop mods i have almost 85k and we all know things get old when is a good time to just leave it alone ...i want to do more stuff like maybe heads or a cam or both but i dont want to kill my motor....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I say start secretly building a 408 stroker motor in the garage. Problem solved :D

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
cutting edge said:
when is a good time to stop mods i have almost 85k and we all know things get old when is a good time to just leave it alone ...i want to do more stuff like maybe heads or a cam or both but i dont want to kill my motor....
Leave as is and spend the $$$$ on show mods ( except for headers)
You start into the engine it is big $$$$ and I don't trust most garages etc cause for the most part they have ZILCH experience on hemis

These modern engines are nightmares

I remember the 50s and 60s when you could actually work on your own with out having to getting into a plumbing rats nest of wires tubes etc etc computer custom flashes--new injectors --AF ratio problems )

I wouldn't even trust the dealer's mechs ( I dread ever having to need warranty work on my engine)

Guess I am a scaredy cat :SHK:

·
Azz Kicker
646 Posts
I agree with you Bob. When I was in high school, I rebuilt a chevy 305 in my 79 Monte Carlo. I did not have any issues to worry about. No computer to think about and tuning was simple as playing with the carb and turning the rotor for timing.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
He has a 5.9L(360ci) I've been inside them a few times and they are an old-school, easy to wrench on motor.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Old school motor with a new fangled finicky computer that doesn't like mods too much.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
They do? Since when? I thought they were in worse shape then us Hemi guys? I know guys with 96's that were making less HP then the 95's with the same mods because of the computer changes.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
sawcut64 said:
They do? Since when? I thought they were in worse shape then us Hemi guys? I know guys with 96's that were making less HP then the 95's with the same mods because of the computer changes.
I know that B&G has custom tunes for the 5.9 guys and I thought mopar even had a performance PCM for them as well.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
I'm not sold on B&G and I'm almost positive Mopar doesn't make a computer for that new a vehicle....all they really have I think is the Hypercrap and Superchips....Of course it's been a long time since I've done anything with a Magnum motor.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
sawcut64 said:
I'm not sold on B&G and I'm almost positive Mopar doesn't make a computer for that new a vehicle....all they really have I think is the Hypercrap and Superchips....Of course it's been a long time since I've done anything with a Magnum motor.
From what I have been told, B&G has come through for the 04-up guys, but are still having a hard time getting the 03 tunes to work.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
I'm losing my patience waiting for the computer gods to smile on us.....

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
There was a DODGE PCM for the 5.9 BUT if I remember correctly they never came out with one for the 02-03 5.9s

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
When I swapped a 5.9 in my 95' Dak I used a Mopar 5.9 computer, the 5.9 would never run right with the 5.2 Mopar computer I had before.

2,395 Posts
im gonna stop modding my engine......as soon as it blows! lol then i'll be forced to get a forged one and start all over. haha

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
yea im with ya it will probably never stop and when something breaks i will just make it 2x stronger...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
sawcut64 said:
From my understanding that is how B&G got there start. By building one hellatious tune for the 5.9 guys. All of the info I have ever read or heard with B&G and 5.9's was always very good. We have all heard the horror stories of B&G and the 03 Hemi's, but supposedly they have started fixing things with the 04's.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm actually starting to rethink the Challenger and leening more towards the Camaro because of the Computer issues with the Dodges. That just makes me mad that they make these PCM's to where nobody can make a custom tune for them. I like to modify all my vehicles and don't want to go through this can't run that without a CEL or stalling crap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.