DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the various rubber bushings on a truck need to be replaced as soon as they start cracking? Some of them look pretty bad, but others have just a few cracks. I'm guessing new bushings would help the truck ride better. Also, is it worth the extra money to get the energy suspension ones? Thanks

·
Registered
607 Posts
What's uually really bad for rubber bushings is getting constantly soaked in oil and going mushy, unless they're getting flexed a lot cracking usually isn't too bad. The control arm bushings on mine were a little cracked almost from new, and are well cracked now, but seem to still be as stiff as they ever were, and aren't separating from the steel parts even if I heave on them - I had the arms out while I was cleaning up the rust on the axle casing and suspension mounts. Problem is that the bushings are peened into the control arms and I'm not sure if replacing them is feasible. I'm curious to know what others have done about this, I'm looking to replace mine soon as part of a mild lift if it makes sense to do so, but I'm not sure I'd like the harsher ride, possible squeaking or the need to regrease poly bushings.
Other than those which only (!) affect caster change under braking, there aren't any others that affect the solid front axles' geometry, there's the track bar bush, but that'll typically outlast the ball joint on the other end. 2wd vehicles are a lot more susceptible to bushings causing suspension geometry changes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.