DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out the maintenance schedule and it say 6000 mile intervals! That seems crazy long to me. Anybody want to chime in with their thoughts on this? Also, what kind of oil do you recommend?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am dumping mine at 600 miles (1000 kms) and then will do probably 3000 mile changes after that. I don't accumulate tons of miles per year on my personal stuff. Why such a short first interval. Most guys that constest it, well they are clueless. Let's say you rebuilt an engine yourself, from scratch. A good chunk of you would dump the oil after initial run in and then after 500 miles, pretty standard huh. So why is a new vehicle so different, it's a fresh engine that is not broken in for you. I skipped the initial run in as really on a late model roller cam engine the only big "break in " items are the rings. After 500 miles or so, the rings are pretty well seated at that point.

I will going to 5W20 Mobil at that same 600 mile point as well. You can go ahead and cry that my engine may "never break in right", yeah ok, tell Chrysler that, the 6.1 in my SRT came with 0W40 Mobil in the pan factory.

A lot of old myths float around and seem to congrugate on these forums boards. You can go to 6000 miles and you know what, it will probably be fine. I myself just don't like the level of metals that are in the break in oil in the engine for that long. I am dumping both diffs at that time as well, same deal. The gears are seated as well as they will be and then all that metal that is floating around in there can get out at that point.

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,277 Posts
Your going to get as many different answers as there are members here. Everyone has theyre own thoughts as to what and when.

The owners manual recommends 5W-20. I received the 5 year/75,000 mile maintenance package with my truck deal. It had the 6000 mile (Schedule A) interval which I completely disagree with, so I had the dealership to change it to the 3000 mile (Schedule B) interval. They did, and at no extra cost.

With that being said, heres my two cents. I have always changed my oil every 3000 miles. Thats when it appears to begin to change its color from amber to dark brown/black, a sign of viscosity breakdown. I also tow a 20' ski boat, so the 6000 mile interval is completely out of the question. As far as your first oil change goes, I dumped mine at 1000 miles (on my own dime), just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Trust me it cant hurt to spend 20 bucks and 15 minutes to change your oil every 3000 miles. But if you want to do it every 6000 you wont be in any great danger cars come into the garage all the time when the last oil change was 20,000 miles ago and they dont even know there car needs oil...... some people just dont get it haha

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I've seen a toyota go 80,000 miles on the original factory oil and oil filter. It was never changed since new; but at 80,000 miles it needed a new engine.

·
Registered
743 Posts
At 1100 miles I changed the factory oil (and filter) out on my Hemi.
I paid a little more for Valvoline 5W20 instead of the bulk Pennzoil Jiffy lube normally uses. No science behind the 1100 mile mark, I figure the majority of break in metal migration is over by then - you can pick your own number. I will change it again at 3000 miles or so then follow factory guidelines after that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I did my first change at 1000 miles. After that I will likely go to a more normal 5-6K. Everyone has opinions but as a person that worked in a lab I tend to rely on data. So rather than take my opinon or any elses please take a sample of your oil at some interval and send it for analysis. They will tell you if it is too dirty, too much viscosity loss etc.

BMW cars call for 15K ol changes and I have personally sent oil out for analysis out of my wifes BMW at 7.5K and it was well within specs and didnt need changing. No dirt (slicia, no significant viscosity loss,, plenty of TBN reserves etc .

I will likely try mine at 5-6k and see how it looks on analysis then decide from there.

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everybody's opinion. wouldn't it also depend on how much mileage you put on the vehicle in a certain time frame as well? For instance, I put 20K miles a year. Shouldn't I change it more often because of that and the fact that this vehicle will be used for commuting?

Based on what everyone has said, I'll probably do the first oil change at 1000 miles and then change my oil every 3K-5K miles. Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for everybody's opinion. wouldn't it also depend on how much mileage you put on the vehicle in a certain time frame as well? For instance, I put 20K miles a year. Shouldn't I change it more often because of that and the fact that this vehicle will be used for commuting?

Based on what everyone has said, I'll probably do the first oil change at 1000 miles and then change my oil every 3K-5K miles. Thanks!
It depends I suppose. rotts4u brought up a point I forgot to add in my post. I have my oil changes all analyzed. Maybe because I am anal, I don't know. My old Monte Carlo years ago was my commuter car. I would run to around 6000 miles on the 5W30 Mobil I ran in it and the oil always came back clean and well within any service spec. That engine never had any soot or levels of particulates to worry about so I could have probably gone at least 3 or 4 times my service interval and still been fine.

The thing I look at is moisture. My vehicles nowdays sit undriven a lot. Months on end for the 94 and the Charger at least. Moisture accumulates in the oil from condensation. It flashes off, or should as long as you get the oil temperatures above boiling point at your atmosphere. That being said I would rather start fresh so to speak after that long. There are acidic properties introduced to the oil by the combustion process and having those sit in an unused engine are not particularily welcome. If your engine oil gets over the boiling point of water at your atmosphere consistently and the vehicle is used daily you can actually extend changes. However if the trips are short and the oil doesn't come up I would stick to 3000 mile changes at the least.

I am not a lab technician but in my line of work I do a lot of similar things. Your first change will be full of metal and a lab will confirm that. After that however you should see little material in the oil. That is of course unless these Hemi's are like my 6.1 and there is tons of copper in the oil that no one can account for. I guess after I change my oil I will know.......I got into analyzing after working for a company with a larger truck fleet that did it. The smallest things you would never notice come up on analysis and it saves a lot of money really. We saved a 3406 Cat in one Kenworth when trace levels of raw diesel starting showing up. Injection pump had started leaking internally, and most likely you would have never known until all the bearings were washed out of the bottom end. Same with antifreeze in others and one old Chevy 366 that the air filter was wrecked on. Oil came back with high silica and voila, driver did the old flip the lid on the air cleaner and crushed the air filter so raw air was going in. Analysis is the best way to go, it's cheap, and really can show you a problem before it truly becomes one......

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the insight. Where does one go to get there oil analyzed? And how much is it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
making good points!! I use strictly synthetic, changing at 3k makes no financial sense. I will however change the filter at 3k.
Really find an oil you like, get it analyzed, make your mind up! Also watch the owners manual if dodge says 3k miles, they do have the right to (i have heard NO FLAMING) deny you warranty work due to neglect. Can anyone validate this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks again for the insight. Where does one go to get there oil analyzed? And how much is it?
There are labs that would be local to you that can do it. I have mine done by Stavely Services but they are in Edmonton Alberta. I know they are international but I am unsure if they have offices in California. I am sure you can find something on the net for you locally. Or alternately big outfits like Heavy truck shops ( Kenworth, Peterbilt, International, etc) or even dealers like Cat, Cummins and so on would know. Maybe even your local Dodge dealer but auto dealers seem hit or miss. I know I paid $130 for 10 kits, and that included prepaid courier baggies. You don't need to analyze every oil change, I just do because of my low accumulated mileage.

Chrysler may send warranty reprecussions upon you provided they find just cause. If you are negligent on maintenance realistically why should they pay for your stupdity. That being said, my warranty book states every 6000 miles( 10000 kms) and you are fine. If you do at least that and are using oil that meets specification there is nothing they can do. I just write down in my little maintenance book my mileage and what I did. That way you have record of all your services. If need be I know I have receipts for the oil as well. I don't know if in the states you guys have that lifetime thing for the new trucks. We don't, its 5 years or 60000 miles on the 09 Hemi Rams for the powertrain and the usual 3 year 36000 mile on the rest of the truck.

Just a thing about oil I found out today. Chrysler quoted me $36 a litre ( quart) for 75W140 that is called for in the 09 trucks 9.25's. I could get it for $27 a litre at my local dealer. I bought Royal Purple instead that cost $20 a litre and comes with the limited slip friction modifier already in it. The Chrysler friction modifier was $12 a bottle. I am taking the additive back I think, what a rip off. Chrysler and there stupid 75W140....everyone else on the planet can use 75W90 but ohhhh noooo Dodge has to be different. I bought a 5 gallon pail of Mobil 75W90 synthetic for $170. At Chrysler's price that isn't even the cost of 5 litres of 75W140.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would recommend changing your oil every 3k-4k for the first 20k-30k miles with non synthetic and then every 6k after that with synthetic. All the dealerships and oil change shops usually recomend 3k but they just want you to be back there more often to spend more money. I would stick to what the manual says cause thats from the guys who biult your truck.

I personaly do mine every 7500 with mobile 1 oil and filter. I was told by 2 different highly recomended mechanics that this was fine, do to the amount of oil our trucks hold. My 05' Hemi has 72,000 miles on it now and it tows a 2k lbs trailer 5 days a week and runs great.

Mobile 1 and valvoline seem to be the most highly recomended oils by any repudible mechanic. I would highly recomend not running royal purple due to a friends engine issues while running it in his hemi truck. The mechanics he took it to who biulds high performance engine said that this was the reason for his truck running the way it was do to the fact that they have encountered the same issues themselves. They told him to stick with mobile 1. They said Running royal purple in the trans and diff are still fine.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new truck!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
with synthetic I usually go 3-5k miles

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I use Mobil 1 because of the availability factor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.