DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to change the wheel studs on my 02 Ram1500 4x4QC? I was washing the rims the other day and notice one was loose on the front. When I went to tighten it down it just broke off. I hate to take it to a shop just to replace 1 stud.

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
i hope i don't sound like a tard for asking, but by wheel stud are you talking about the valve stems?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nathan K said:
i hope i don't sound like a tard for asking, but by wheel stud are you talking about the valve stems?
I may be using the wrong term but its the threaded part the lug nut goes on.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
from what I've been told they have to be pressed in from the back. So I would think you are going to have to take it to a shop. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
i thought you could hit them with a hammer from the front and they will fall out the back. not sure on that as i've never really payed atention to how they are in, but i thought i remembered seeing another member say that

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
that's probably so, but how do you get the new one in and seated properly?

·
Registered
378 Posts
you put the new one in from the back and use a stack of washers or a socket and a wheel nut put on backwards and crank down until it's seated. I think it says in the shop manual that there's a certain position to put the rotor in so you can get the old one out and the new one in, sort of an access cutaway or something. It's a really easy job though.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
really? It's that simple? Wow you learn something new every day.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
That is the way I did my durango studs when they liked to break off. I bought an open nut and a bunch of washers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I will be giving it a try tommorow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts