DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i stop the annoying wheel hop i get when the tires spin in 1st? when i spin em in 2nd its fine. will new springs help? bushings?im on the stock 15" rims & tires

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
dodgeneonACR98 said:
Motor mount inserts will stop alot of the wheel hop. Infact, 99% of the wheel hop in these Neons is from the motor mounts. The prothane inserts from Howell automotive are cheap and effective for this. Good luck!
this is normally said by most mopar intusiasts... but im here to say its a bunch of bs... i just got urathane motor mount inserts and in fact my wheel hop seems like 5 times worse ... off the line its freaking horrible now ... but atleast when im just taking off in first and hammer on it , it just spins in first n 2nd instead of jumping off the road... but for dead stop launching made my wheel hope way worse... so now im dumping money into my suspension... no use having more HP if i cant get it to the ground... figured id get mopar stage 3 struts, strut tower bars, after market sway bars, suspension bushings... and if that dont work ima be pist lol! also for tires the better tire u get the more wheel hop in my opionon since there trying to grab harder and cant... atleast in my case... cause before inserts if i took off normal and floored it when i hit full spool there was mass wheel hop not its just a spin! but yea off the line they didnt help me at all!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm! lol,, well ill try the moter mount inserts since they a cheap place to start,,

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Do 2nd Gens have a bobble strut or no? Solid bobble stuts also help reduce wheelhop.

As far as 95moparracers comments go... Are you making your comparisons on the same road surfaces? with the same tires? I know my front motor mount insert helped a good deal reducing wheel hop, and the side insert helped some more, but mainly seemed to give me more traction, allowing me to launch 500-1000rpm higher without a lot of hop. All my comparisons were done on smooth asphalt with my Kumho's on. I recently switched back to my cheap daytons (cheap crappers i throw on in the winter) and did a hard launch on some not so smooth asphalt and had wheelhop like mad. Not as bad as when i first got the car, but a lot worse than with the Kumho's on. Then I did a pretty healthy burnout (intentional, not trying to launch and grab traction like before) with the daytons on smoother asphalt and they spun over like butter, no hop at all just smooth spinning, smoke and the smell of sulfer on a crisp morning. :D

How you launch has a lot to do with it too... Launch too low and you wont have enough power, the tires will spin, grab, spin, grab, spin, grab (thats wheel hop broken down into super slow motion :D ), launch too high and they'll just blaze up in smoke. Play around with how fast you let the clutch out and what rpm you launch at. Preloading the drivetrain helps a ton too. raise up to the rpm you want to launch at, let the clutch out to just the point where it barely starts to grab, like your rpms barely dip at all, and you hardly even inch forward, but theres still contact. Use the ebrake to keep yourself from rolling forward too much (redlighting) if you are actually racing someone. then when you launch let the cluth out maybe halfway, (release the ebrake first if you were using it as a line lock) keeping the rpms up, just to quick get your rolling 4-5mph WITHOUT spinning the tires, then let the clutch out real quick, but dont dump it, to break the tires loose just enough so they're spinning but grabbing at the same time, you want to maintain your launch rpm +/- 500rpm or so until the tires hook. Its kinda hard to explain... You just need to figure it out to know what I mean. Just remember launching is not the brutal clutch dumps you see on the fast and the furious, its a delicate dance between the clutch and the throttle, and it takes light feet and good feel to get it all right.

Good luck, and sorry for the long rant.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know what your saying rice,,the "delicate dance" lol,,i launch like you say,,earlier today i hadda put a punk in an older vw gti in his place lol,,i drop the clutch hard,,start the wheels spinning,,then as im feathering the throttle back to get the tires to hook is when the hop starts,,right at the point of traction,,erch erch erch,,then i hammer it again and go...i dunno,,maybe it is my technique, it worked great in my old 340 duster,and my camaro,tho they both are rwd,,this is the 1st fwd car ive ever owned,,imma get those motor mounts anyway,,thanks for the replys

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Another good thing about the motor mount inserts is the fact that they help out in turns and what not too. The steering will seem more crisp becouse the motor is not being torqued one way or the other when you make a turn. One bad thing about them is the act that they may cause a little more vibrations thru the body. If you have a rear bobble strut on the back of the motor, you can upgrade it to a solid strut, which will help alot more with handling but will cause lots and lots of vibrations. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
well srt-4's dont even have a front motor mount and not sure on the rear bobble set up cause well face it u cant see shit the turbo on top and alotta plastic junk and then the ic lines block the [email protected]! i'll have to un hook my ic line and check it out! and yes im using the same tires and same road lol! idk somedays its prolly my driving.... i know how to launch though :p just its a lil diff in my srt-4 then my 1st gen!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
rymeswithorange said:
i drop the clutch hard,,start the wheels spinning,,then as im feathering the throttle back to get the tires to hook is when the hop starts,,right at the point of traction,,erch erch erch,,then i hammer it again and go...i dunno,,maybe it is my technique
No offense, I'm trying to help you, but I think you nailed it right on the head. Its your technique thats causing massive wheelhop, the stock mounts are just amplifying it.

First, you say you "drop the clutch hard". NEVER drop the clutch if you are trying to get traction, all that will get you is a nice burnout. What i said is first preload the drivetrain, so the pressure plate is barely engaging the flywheel (dont try this until you know what I mean, and know the feel of your clutch, or you will burn up clutches very quick, its hard on them). That is just to reduce the stress applied to the transmission when you launch, has nothing to do with getting traction really. When you launch let the clutch out a little at first, maintaining your launch rpm with the throttle BUT DO NOT let it out quick enough to break the tires loose. You want to get the car rolling 5mph or so first, then let the clutch out quickly enough to let the tires slip but still DONT DUMP IT. If you have to dump it to get them to spin you are not launching at a high enough rpm.

By dumping the clutch you're getting the tires to spin way faster than they are capable of griping, meaning you have to back off the throttle to get traction. Backing off the throttle in turn lowers the amount of power going to the wheels, so you are reducing power while increasing traction... a combination that results in wheelhop because you do not have enough power to turn the tires over (refer to my first post and the description of wheel hop... grab spin grab spin etc..) Believe it or not the tires actually have to be spinning to achieve maximum grip, but spinning them too fast results in less grip than not spinning them at all... again, a delicate dance. You want to launch at an rpm where you have enough traction that you dont need to back off the throttle but where you have enough power that you can keep them spinning at the right speed without hop. Its hard to explain.

·
Registered
199 Posts
lower control arm bushings (prothane) helped me the most. also shocks on full soft works best. tires make the most difference. if it cant spin.....it cant hop !!!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Yeah, not all of us are blessed with adjustable suspensions....

And if it cant spin, you dont have enough power. :D

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Rice_Eater said:

And if it cant spin, you dont have enough power. __________________
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
95moparracer said:
well srt-4's dont even have a front motor mount and not sure on the rear bobble set up cause well face it u cant see shit the turbo on top and alotta plastic junk and then the ic lines block the [email protected]! i'll have to un hook my ic line and check it out! and yes im using the same tires and same road lol! idk somedays its prolly my driving.... i know how to launch though :p just its a lil diff in my srt-4 then my 1st gen!

srts have a front motor mount/ trans mount.. its in the front on the underside.. connects right near the rad support or to it! They do have a bobble strut if I am not mistaken.. but its been a while since I have been under my friends srt.. I can say I have a bobble strut on the back of mine.. but the motor is in the first gen! The srt has 4 mounts, top left (passenger), one on bottom in the middle, bobble in the back and then there is one hidden that has to have a few things removed in order to see it! Or so my srt friend says... I have not been there everytime when he pulls it apart puttin new things in!

And you wont get wheel hop if all you do is spin!! Wheel hop is caused from the car catchin a little traction then spinnin, then catchin a little more traction, then spining again.. that repeats itselt which in turn causes wheel hop! To use a better example.. ever see on tv where a truck is tryin to pull something out in the sand.. or is stuck??? you see the truck tires turnin.. then all the sudden the truck starts bouncin a little? they let off... they try to get out again.. it spins sand is flyin then it starts bouncin again.. thats cause its catchin A LITTLE traction and tryin to get out! can cause the truck to drop the drive shaft.. which is the same thing as breakin an axle on our cars!

Anyways to help out the wheel hop.. solid mounts all the way around, full suspension kit upgrade upfront.. all prothane! better that stock tires... and lastly a little skill in drivin!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
05hemiregcab said:
And you wont get wheel hop if all you do is spin!! Wheel hop is caused from the car catchin a little traction then spinnin, then catchin a little more traction, then spining again.. that repeats itselt which in turn causes wheel hop!
Isnt that exactly what I said before? :huh:

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
I put nolathane lower control arm bushes on and I don't seem to get bad wheel hop.
I can have the tyres smokin in a split second on my neon so I got the power, tyres are top notch too. So its not a case of crappy tyres and low power.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
to my knowledge the motor mounts on an srt-4 are top passenger side bottom passenger side driver side on tranny and a bobble on the back! but im not positive about the bobble since icant see shit back there! i'll know once i get steel intercooler lines! but im pretty positive that my 04 srt-4 has no front motor mount unless it just doesnt bolt up ne where near the radiater like 1st gens!

·
Registered
199 Posts
rice_eater said:

And if it cant spin, you dont have enough power. :D
u can hook 1000 hp ! ever see a S/S hemi-dart stand straight in the air off the line? u dont lift the wheels spinning. not enough power my ass! LOL

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
LMFAO..............Good point Underdodge!!!!!!Took a reall drag racer to clear that one up. lol Thats some serious power and frame twisting torque! Can I get a hell yeah!!!! Whoa Whoa! LOL Later bud. OH and by the way thanks for adding the tire info......sounds like some really usefull info to me bro.

On my 14 inch wheels I run a MasterCraft Avenger GT tire. I like the tire myself, it's nice and sticky (new) and they seem to last longer than any other tire like the Kumho's I once had on the 14's. Got like 4 months out of a set of them. However they were a cheap Kumho tire. I had like 180 bucks into them mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
underdodge said:
u can hook 1000 hp ! ever see a S/S hemi-dart stand straight in the air off the line? u dont lift the wheels spinning. not enough power my ass! LOL
WHAT!!! You cant lift the front end up and send the tires up in smoke at the same time!!! THEY DID IT ON F&F, IT MUST BE TRUE!!!!! :WHT:

Seriously though, I was under the impression that the wheels spin inside the slicks... ;)

Dragsters still have wheelhop problems if they dont dial in the clutch right, or tune the engine for enough power for the track (known as underestimating the track). The Funny Car guys just call it "shake" instead of "hop". Same concept.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.