DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to know if you can replace the front left outer wheel bearing in a 98 Dodge GC without buying the whole hub. Does anyone have a catalog number for just the bearing itself? How hard of a job is it?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Generally on FWD vehicles the bearing is of a one piece design and has to be pressed into the hub. Sometimes you can buy a hub/bearing assembly that bolts in and makes the install a lot easier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had to change the front driver side wheel bearing on a Lumina. Overall it wasn't very difficult, but some parts can be a pain in the ass. I had all ready changed the half/shaft, so I had already learned the wrong way to take it apart. The hardest part was getting the sway bar off. I had to jack the lower a-arm up to get what little clearance there was to have. It took forever to get the bolts out turning a wrench about an 1/8th of a turn at a time, and getting them back in was worse. Basically take the caliper and rotor off. Take the nut for the axle off. Remove the castle nut on the lower a-arm and drop it down. I didn't need to remove the tie-rod end. Push the axle out of the hub. Remove 4 bolts to get the hub/bearing assembly out. And put it all back together. Be sure to get a pickel fork, and the right sized socket for the half-shaft. Make sure the car is chocked! The hub didn't cost all that much as I remember. Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.