DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a review on the Edmunds site that talked about the Nitro's engine power ....

".....The Nitro is available with a choice of two engines — a 3.7-liter V6 rated at 210 horsepower and 235 pound-feet of torque and a 4.0-liter V6 rated at 260 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. Three transmission options are offered depending on trim level. A six-speed manual is standard on 3.7-liter SXT 4x2 and 4x4 models. A four-speed automatic is optional on SXT models and standard on SLT models. A five-speed automatic is available only on 4.0-liter R/T versions. All four-speed-equipped 4x4 models have full-time four-wheel drive......"

Whats your .02 ?

Do you feel like it has enough power ?

especially the 4.0 V6 guys ... or do you find it lacking ?

·
Banned
10 Posts
It actually does very well with the 3.7L. I drove one around for a day while my Ram was in the shop. Seems to rev higher than the v6 in the full size rams.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't think the 4.0 is out yet...I was told not until spring. The 3.7L version I drove felt pretty weak, but I'm used to driving V8's. It seemed to have an annoying whining noise...kinda' sounded like a torque converter type of sound. I do think these are cool looking vehicles and I liked the interior features, especially the tray in the back that slides out for easier cargo loading. A Hemi or the HO 4.7L would be a nice addition to the option list, IMHO.

·
Jimbo1102
161 Posts
I drove the 3.7 and found it had good low end power. I am used to diving a HEMI so the 3.7 was a welcome relief as far as off the line power. My HEMI naturally makes great power but you need to get into it a bit to wake it up off the line (ie-MPG's out the window) where the 3.7 comes off the line strong. Its no 1/4 mile star as it runs out of steam after about 65 mph but for city driving it felt good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMHO, the 4.0L should be the base engine in the Nitro, with a V8 as an option. I was not impressed at all with the 3.7L. I would say the performance is "adequate". I can't imagine what its like pulling a trailer with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I own a Dakota with the 5.2, a Neon with the DOHC & a Pacifica with the 3.5. Saturday we test drove the Nitro with the 3.7/auto & found acceleration was as good as any of our existing cars. We drove it on the freeway & found it was good going up the onramp. Ran it at 70+ mph & had no issues passing other cars. Then ran it in the snow for a while & found power & traction was good. Power for regular driving will not be a problem for me. But I am concerned about the 3.7 having enough power to really pull the 5000 lbs it's rated for (with the Trailer Tow group option installed).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was probably a little unfair with my original comments; I guess I was just expecting more performance from it. I think part of the problem is that the accelerator seems to be really touchy at low speeds. It seems like its either all or nothing.
I noticed when I back it in to the garage up a slight incline, it doesn't want to move when I just touch the pedal, until I really stab the gas. Then I have to get off the gas quick & back on the brakes to keep from hitting anything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 4.0L is actually required for the Nitro to get out of its own way...the 3.7L is a bad choice overall. As for handling, i'd rather drive a bus in a crosswind than a Nitro. The name, while it sounds fast and agressive, doesn't do this vehicle any good. Suspension and driveline wise...hehehehe...i've seen better on a Toyota.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a Nitro RT and Im very happy with the acceleration. From what Ive seen, it only has 150 miles on so not getting on it to much for a little while, but I love it. Its nothing compared to the wifes SRT-4 but does very well. I think anyways and I love speed

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Layedout said:
I have a Nitro RT and Im very happy with the acceleration. From what Ive seen, it only has 150 miles on so not getting on it to much for a little while, but I love it. Its nothing compared to the wifes SRT-4 but does very well. I think anyways and I love speed
I agree with you on the acceleration. I also drove the SLT without the suspension package and the R/T with it. There is a night and day difference between the two of them. The R/T is definitely the way to go!!! Did I mention that I got mine $4,000 below invoice...$24112 fully loaded!! :rck:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine feels pretty peppy for a 3.7L

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mines An 07 With The 3.7v-6 4spd Auto
I Think It's Pretty Peppy For What It Is My Other Vehicle Is A Durango With The Hemi
I Believe That With A Less Restrictive Exhaust And Air Intake Kit It Should Be Pretty Good The Only Other Thing That Needs To Be Adressed Is It Should Have A 5spd Auto

·
Go big or stay home!
1,314 Posts
My .02 is that they should offer it with a 5.7L Hemi!!!
:rck:

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
How much do these things weigh? And how much does the 99-04 Grand Cherokee weigh? By looks and feel alone, I'd say they weigh around the same, and if thats the case, then the Nitro/Liberty definitely need the 4.7

·
Registered
201 Posts
Actually the Nitro is about 100 lb heavier than the older model GC. 3995 lbs vs. 4100 lbs. I looked them up. My wife drives a 2000 GC and we are planning to replace it with a Nitro. But our GC is the 195 hp I-6; so the 260 hp V-6 should be a nice improvement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 4.0 with an AEM intake. The pep is good. Looking to put in Jetstage one and gibson dual exaust. Should make a big dif

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
We just passed 5000 miles, I am very pleased with our 4.0's power.
when our R/T was at the dealer, we were loaned a 3.7 and I was not impressed.

My $.02

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.