DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I was in a wreck yesterday. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. It's short bed, regular cab, and 2WD. It has the HEMI engine and some after-market 20" wheels. It also has 97,000 miles on it. I think it's worth around $8,000 give or take. The wreck left it needing a new bumper cover, components behind the cover, a new grille, new hood, possibly new radiator/trans cooler, and fresh paint for all new parts. I'm not sure how much this is all going to cost, but I'm guessing 4-5k. Do you think my truck is worth too much to consider it totaled with this kind of damage? Thanks for anyone and everyones time who responds.

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
When the cost of repairing a damaged vehicle exceeds a percentage of the fair market or actual cash value of the vehicle, insurance companies will declare it a total loss. According to Edmunds.com, some insurers declare a vehicle totaled if damages are at or above 51 percent of its fair market value, while others will total at 80 percent. An understanding by consumers of how to estimate the value of a totaled vehicle helps obtain fair settlements from insurance companies on a totaled vehicle.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, guys... i hate to say it, but i'm actually hoping they do total it... it'd be nice to get out from under that monthly payment... plus i already have another vehicle that's payed for...

·
Registered
157 Posts
thanks for the replies, guys... i hate to say it, but i'm actually hoping they do total it... it'd be nice to get out from under that monthly payment... plus i already have another vehicle that's payed for...
Pull them SRT wheels before it's gone!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pull them SRT wheels before it's gone!
Oh, don't worry I will. Gonna snatch my CAI and Pioneer head unit too. I mean I paid for all that, it's mine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My Dak R/T got wrecked and when the insurance totaled it out (at the time they had a policy against selling the wrecked title) they f'ing raped me on the parts, and sadly I had little say in what they considered fair market value. I never even got a chance to head down and strip the truck @ the yard before it was shuffled off. Still pissed about it, I think the insurance company was Metlife Auto. Garbage. 5-7k in a parts and they gave me like 3k for em.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
There is a trick to this gentlemen. If you ever get in a wreck that has to be towed, YOU PAY THE TOWTRUCK DRIVER OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET. Have him deliver it to your house. NOW you have the bargaining tool at home. Don't let them tow it to their yard. As long as you pay them they must tow it where you want. Now the insurance company is dealing with you at home. Over the last 35 years my family has done this on 6 occasions. You can bargain better when they aren't paying $50 a day in storange and you can also take your stuff off at home and replace it with factory stuff.

·
Registered
157 Posts
WHERE WAS YOUR WISDOM IN 2002!!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
good advice

·
Mr. Registered User
384 Posts
There is a trick to this gentlemen. If you ever get in a wreck that has to be towed, YOU PAY THE TOWTRUCK DRIVER OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET. Have him deliver it to your house. NOW you have the bargaining tool at home. Don't let them tow it to their yard. As long as you pay them they must tow it where you want. Now the insurance company is dealing with you at home. Over the last 35 years my family has done this on 6 occasions. You can bargain better when they aren't paying $50 a day in storange and you can also take your stuff off at home and replace it with factory stuff.
Exactly, I had a 01 Toyota Celica with about $8k in aftermarket parts on it and it caught on fire while I was driving it. I had it taken to my house and I pulled all parts that here salvageable off it before the insurance company took it.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
damn good advise!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Knowing the insurance company tries to screw you as much as they can I have always said that if I got into any kind of wreck and had to be towed it would be to my house and either on my driveway or in my garage so they can't touch it.
The only way that wouldnt happen is if I was out cold and taken to a hospital but the minute I got out I would be at that yard with a tow truck to take it home.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Got pics and where are you located?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Unless you owe less than what the amount a total would equal you have to pay the rest out of your pocket unless you have GAP insurance. Before agreeing to a total( you can argue and fight and sometimes win - try talking to the body guy about other options to save the truck if needed )make sure that by accepting a total you aren't screwing yourself.

My brother in law's Dakota that was just 3 days old was going to be totaled after some stupid woman ran a red light and t-boned him. I worked with the body guy and the adjuster and the truck was fixed 100% back to new with a new frame and not totaled out. If it had been totaled my Sister and BIL would have owed thousands as they were upside down on the loan with no GAP. He drove that truck trouble free for 5 years and over 100K.

I understand you have a 04 so you don't owe that kind of money but a total is not always a good thing. Make sure you know what pay off is before you accept anything from the insurance company.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I am lucky and have been in few accidents but have helped out family members who seem to be accident targets. My SOP is to have the vehicle towed to MY body shop guy. If it gets towed somewhere else I immediately go there and have it towed to my body guy before the insurance company can get to it.

He let's NO ONE touch vehicles in his yard without the owner's OK or presence and that includes insurance companies. The vehicles are kept locked up and if a truck arrives for it, even with the proper papers, he won't allow it until he calls the owner and verifies. I agree to take it somewhere that you have control over it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Here is another tip. If you are in an accident when you call your insurance company to report it be sure and inform them to have the adjuster call you and let you know when he/she is going to go and appraise your vehicle as you ARE GOING TO BE present. Don't ask for permission TELL THEM yoou WILL be there or else. Let the body shop know as well that you are going to be present and involved in ALL discussions and negotiations. They may not like it but you have that right.

Even if you don't know anything about body repair it cuts down on deals that ultimately screw you. For me, as a former body supply salesman and someone who has written a lot of crash orders as a dealer parts guy, I have caught a lot of shady deals by the adjuster because I know how the system works. Of course my body guy is a straight shooter and would have caught it as well. The average person may not catch everything but you sure as heck can start smelling a dirty deal being cooked up with even an ounce of common sense.

If you trust your body guy the way I do you don't have to be there but otherwise make it a point to be present at all discussions and negotiations. If the body guy won't go for that then tell him/her you will have to take the vehicle somehwere else. Tell him that makes him untrust worthy in your opinion and you feel he is trying to hide something.

It is your money and vehicle and you have a right to be involved and make decisions. In most states now it is illegal for insurance companies to demand aftermarket and/or used body parts be used unless a vehicle is older than a set # of years. If it is newer than the cutoff date you have the right to demand new OE parts be used. Unless you get involved and demand new OEM parts you end up with the aftermarket or used crap being used. That is just one example of why you need to stay involved with it.

The bottom line is be VERY INVOLVED in all aspects of the repair process. Have it fixed where YOu want as well. IMO never let the insurance company recommend a shop. Those shops ALWAYS screw over the customer in favor of the insurance company. Find your own shop. Legally the insurance company has to allow this.

I had a 2005 Silverado that was destroyed by hail. I had to fight tooth and nail with my insurance company over the amount they would pay to fix it at MY body shop. They were vastly under paying for the work that needed to be done. My body guy refused to do it for that and I fought for days with them. Eventually they said go to one of our preferred shops and they will do it for that amount. Right there I knew this was a shady deal. I got the state insurance commission involved and threatened a law suit. I got my truck fixed at my preferred shop. Had to compromise the amount some, so it wasn't done as good as it should have been, but it was done by someone I trusted and for darn sure better than those other shops would have done. I changed insurance companies as well.

Stay involved and fight for what is right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.