Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 4.7 is INTERMITTENTLY starting.
When it doesn't start, you get ONE pronounced click that seems to be coming from UNDER the FUSE BOX.

What say you lads?

A solenoid of some sort?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
When was the last time your battery was replaced? Dodge electronics are notorious for failing to start, when the battery is on it's last leg. you might be hearing the starter soliniod. It will not start right, Even thought the battery may look good.

·
Registered
827 Posts
pretty simple system to diagnose.........simple test light.......and some cardbourd if you don't want to get dirty.........when it fails to start........take test light check for power on large wire at starter.........if no , check for open/bad connection between starter and battery...if yes move to solenoid wire.....small one one starter.......have friend hold key in crank position....test light should light......if yes, starter is bad...replace....if no, open in wires from there to relay OR relay bad OR fuse blown OR signal from key is bad etc..i can get into relay diagnosis another time.........you say it starts sometimes....probaly a bad starter but a really simple way to confirm......when it doesn't start, take a hammer and tap the starter itself with someone holding the key in crank position.....the taps from the hammer may cause the armature to move just enough to make contact and let the starter spin....good luck

·
Banned
399 Posts
Hum I missed the "when it doesn't start" lol

First thing I would do is have the batter load tested to see if it is good or not.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
How old's the battery? I've seen them good bad in as fast as 3 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alrughty.
good advice there lads..
I'm gonna make sure it's not the starter be4 i go down any other trails..
especially since a jump didn't do it this morning.

The truck, since early on has always been very rough starting: taking often 3 rounds of cranking be4 it starts.
But, that's another thread I spose...
Thanks,
rich

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
i would start with the starter also. when my 98 was having issues with the starter, it would do the same thing. you woulg get a click from the bendix on the starter. it was shorting out internally and would click. it would take 5 attempts some times to get it to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine clicked quote loudly from JUST under the FUSE box.

I just put a light on the positive on the starter, but she turned over, so I'm gonna have to retest when it fails to crank.
Rich

·
Registered
827 Posts
the click you're hearing in the realay center IS the starter relay...........that should send power down to the starter.........by memory it sends the signal to the soleniod.......just by memory though.......it should click, that's a good sign that it's working.........check at the starter....hammer test is easiest.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.