DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Wow this thread got hostile
Bottom line if your towing at near max, max or over max with a 1500. Your endangering not only yourself but others on the road. I for one would rather be safe than sorry . I have towed my 8000# trailer with both my OLD 1500 Hemi and my current 3500 CTD.
Not only do I feel safer but so does my wife. We like our somewhat large trailer she is claustrophobic. If your married you know happy wife happy life. Sure if it was just me and my dog I would be happy with a little 17-18' trailer.
I am for one not trying to make anyone buy a bigger truck or bigger trailer.
But face it facts are facts
^^^^^^ Someone that actually knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My trailer is 34 foot

7300 Dry. 9500 wet.

Am I over my weight limit. I need to get to a CAT scale this summer.

The truck towed fine, stopped fine. I tow with no water since we are almost always at full hookup.

My racecar trailer with car is around 10,000+ depends on tools I take etc.

Truck tows it fine.

Do I want a 2500 or a 3500. yes but at this point wife says no. Do I drive fast on the highway. No. I get 9 MPG with the wind pushing me. Just be safe and smart. Not going to lie though next truck will be a ford f350.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
My trailer is 34 foot

7300 Dry. 9500 wet.

The truck towed fine, stopped fine. I tow with no water since we are almost always at full hookup.

Truck tows it fine.

Do I want a 2500 or a 3500. yes but at this point wife says no. Do I drive fast on the highway. No. I get 9 MPG with the wind pushing me. Just be safe and smart. Not going to lie though next truck will be a ford f350.

Love your trailer, do it have a BB in the rear?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes there is a back bumper hard to see agents the blacktop. Will be adding a tray on the rear. it was a option but they didn't order it this way.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think mojoman was referring to a bunkhouse, my guess with the two rear windows it is a bunkhouse.
LOL sorry

Yes the back is a bunkhouse. 2 on the door side a table for the kids that turns into the bunk and a bunk above it. So you really have 3 and a table that turns into the 4th. also has a door so it can be completely closed off.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
we tow this

35 ft 7800 lbs dry 1500 5.7 3:92 gears 8 speed

Attachments

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
LOL sorry

Yes the back is a bunkhouse. 2 on the door side a table for the kids that turns into the bunk and a bunk above it. So you really have 3 and a table that turns into the 4th. also has a door so it can be completely closed off.

Sorry yeah bunk bed.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
35 ft 7800 lbs dry 1500 5.7 3:92 gears 8 speed

Sweet looking trailer, I hope one day to get me one but I don't need it that long because it just my wife and I.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
its just the two of us but we bring 3 dogs and one is hard to get along with when all 3 are together so we needed 3 seperate areas but we like the room

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been towing my Keystone 299BH for the past year with my 2013 Ram 1500. She pulls and stops fine (trailer brakes), I've never felt like the truck was laboring at all when towing. My only concern is with wind buffeting causing the trailer to initiate small side to side movement with the truck. This occurs most especially when being passed by semi's, although it does happen on windy days. I don't know if this is normal for a truck/trailer combo of this size or if it is something to worry about.

When towing I go no faster than 65mph and remain alert. However, on busy interstates, this buffeting occurs so much it creates a white knuckle experience for me. There was one time my antilock brakes engaged and it sounded like my left front tire lost traction. This has only occurred once and was on a wet road when I was passed by a semi. That was months ago and has not happened again. This incident may contribute to my anxiety because I'm constantly on the alert listening for it to happen again.

I'm also using a BlueOx sway pro hitch with 1000lbs bars, and tow the trailer with the tanks empty.

Here's the stats on the two vehicles:

2013 Ram 1500

5.7 Hemi with 3.55 rear end and tow package installed.
1661 is max payload
8800lb max tow limit
curb weight is 5150
GVCWR is 14150

2015 Keystone Laredo 299BH

Dry weight of 6819 (probably has 1000lbs of stuff in it)
hitch weight is 830lbs (more like 1000lb when loaded)
trailer is 11'1" tall and 32'10" long.

I'm wondering it it's the height and length rather than the weight causing this.

Should a properly equipped rig have these symptoms?

When I say side to side movement it's not truck sliding side to side but more of a vague jerky feeling in the steering wheel. this might be natural when towing something heavy, I just don't know.

I posted the above on another forum, right before I purchased a 2500. I eventually decided that I was pushing my 1500 to it's limits and wanted to ride safer. I'm not saying this is the answer to everyone in my situation, but it was what I chose. one close call that activated my antilock brakes was enough.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Yes that is common with a pull type trailer. Best way to stop that is a dually or at the very least heavier side walls on the rear tires. Going for a 1500 to a 2500 won't do much in stopping that.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Almost 33ft, that's a lot of a wall to catch wind and create that wind push!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My trailer is 34 foot

7300 Dry. 9500 wet.

Truck tows it fine.

I'd be concerned with your payload limit AND your GCVWR. I'm betting you're at or near the max.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd be concerned with your payload limit AND your GCVWR. I'm betting you're at or near the max.

I would guess I am at Max. I will weight it in 3 weeks on our first trip. I have towed it around town "Granted not loaded with Clothing and food" but most of the supplies are in there.

She tows great. the issue I see it truly semi passing creating sway. I will not load water etc, since we mostly do full hookup. Might install airbags if I can get her level like I want.

But you are right I am pushing her limits. But so far it has taken it and not been a issue.

Now is a bigger truck coming. Yes one day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How long?

Thread's getting long in the tooth but wth and fwiw...

32 ft, 7500 lbs and 13K miles over the last four yrs. Three round trips through the Rockies too. No issues. Some tips:

- distribute the load in the RV;
- ensure your have a good WDH with integrated sway control; and
- don't be in a hurry!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just pull mine this weekend fully loaded. You know it is there but in no way did I feel unsafe. I stayed around 60/65 mph and it was great. now highway 75 down by me is like driving on a dirt road so that sucked but once you hit smooth pavement it was great. I do tow with no water on board since we get full hookup.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.