DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
WOW , thanks for the compliments , (old timer), I am 60, but to you that is young, I don't tow at 80 mph, ... I do the speed limit or a little under while towing, around the areas I travel it is 60/65 so the mpg's most people would never see, I am not in a hurry, at all...
the op has a 1500 with a 5.7, giving him the different perspectives of trucks in his category , helps him to make his decision, isn't that what the thread is all about ??...
Another poster let us know about his mpg and also how bad it handled, that is also important, and makes for a great thread, but unlike some that cant take or listen to any other ideas or options ,maybe YOU should move on or try to help this guy..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tow a 2012 Surveyor ultralite. It lists at 29' but is 33' when you add in the tongue. The dry weight is listed at 5400#, but realistically with propane, dishes, clothes, etc. I would say it is about 6200#+. I really like the fact that mine isn't as tall as most. Reducing wind-drag and increase gas mileage. We tow about 3-4 times a year, so I didn't see a reason for CTD. I have the Outdoorsman with all the towing goodies.

Towing the trailer is better than I thought. I pretty much put it in tow/haul mode, get it up to speed and set the cruise. Getting around pumps for gas has to be planned well in advance to pulling in because at that point you are somewhat committed. Considering 33' TT and 17' for truck, that is 50' total.

The Hemi does good, it spends about 70% of a normal tow trip in 4th (.75) and about 30% in 3rd (1.0). Mileage is about 9-11 MPG depending on wind and terrain. I tow about 65-70mph.

I would recommend nothing over 6000-6500# max and I wouldn't go any longer than mine at a total of 33'.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I tow a 31ft Aerolite bunk house 6400#s dry. I have found speed is a big factor in mpg. If I keep it at 60-63 I average 10mpg. Plus it is easier to stop, with a combined weight pushing 14k that's important. Just my 2cents.

·
DJEazy
133 Posts
I think it all comes down to what you are comfortable towing within you weight limits! There are many ultra light campers that weigh a whole lot less in a 30' version than a 25' non lite version so it just all depends on the room you have to maneuver you camper and where you plan on taking it as some places are much harder to get larger campers into and out of so there is no one answer as to what length you should stay under, my uncle hauls a 32' outback with his 2010 1500 with 3.92 and it weighs 7600 dry

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
tounge to bumper 35 ft dry 7700 lbs my 2013 laramie 2 wheel drive hemi 3:92 8 speed tows good can't justify a diesel 2500 we do one long distance 1 time a year and others 3 hours at the max away

·
Registered
934 Posts
our first two hour trip with ours this weekend and you guys are scaring the $hit outta me....but i was there already truth be told.

Mine trailer is 32 @ 6900lbs dry, i have the hemi and 355 gears....will report back

·
Registered
934 Posts
tounge to bumper 35 ft dry 7700 lbs my 2013 laramie 2 wheel drive hemi 3:92 8 speed tows good can't justify a diesel 2500 we do one long distance 1 time a year and others 3 hours at the max away
sounds identical to us - 2 1/4 hour cabin drive away will be the usual tow, one long trip a year.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
just drive easy you will be fine go with a good hitch weight distrubition hitch and run only 5 gal water in your black water tank less weight without water you will have water at the campground and just pay attention to the traffic and don't tailgate lol have fun

·
lerchcon
410 Posts
sounds identical to us - 2 1/4 hour cabin drive away will be the usual tow, one long trip a year.

how was the trip? I am pretty lost with the whole rear gears thing, and why my truck came with a controller under the drivers dash but didn't come with a trailer hitch receiver. SO I added one from the Mopar site as seen here

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/class-i...s&adid=29963&gclid=COe5vIzx1b8CFRWVfgod1EYAOA

I got this, installed it, when I bought the truck the printout the dealership gave me says my truck has 3.55 gears, but I cant find a sticker on the rear end that tells me if I do or not. I just have to hope the printout they gave is right. right now the only thing I tow is a 17 foot open bow boat with a weight of about 2000 lbs. I have been towing for years, pushing and pulling but not with my truck, and I usually tow fighter jets and push them into parking spaces lol. but then I get a tow vehicle rated for it, so this vehicle towing is all new to me. I get the rating thing, tongue weight stuff, but I don't want to change gears at all, I NEED to figure out how to use this controller thing, and since I got my truck CPO (certified pre owned) I don't have an owners manual. when I type my vin on dodge site, I get " my vin doesn't exist" but I emailed them to see why. I got a carfax and the loan with that VIN so no worries..lol

never to hijack a thread, but I see there hasn't been a post in a minute and I figured I would keep this one going. How do I use this controller from dodge? can anyone get me a free copy of a user manual?

without changing anything on my Ram 1500 Express quad cab, how big of a travel trailer can I tow? I may not keep the travel trailer but I want one, so I don't want to change anything on the truck, and its still under the warranty so I don't want to break it? any help is better then none. thanks in advance. and if the OP would like me to start my own thread, I would be more then willing as to not hijack a thread.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
how was the trip? I am pretty lost with the whole rear gears thing, and why my truck came with a controller under the drivers dash but didn't come with a trailer hitch receiver. SO I added one from the Mopar site as seen here

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/class-i...s&adid=29963&gclid=COe5vIzx1b8CFRWVfgod1EYAOA

I got this, installed it, when I bought the truck the printout the dealership gave me says my truck has 3.55 gears, but I cant find a sticker on the rear end that tells me if I do or not. I just have to hope the printout they gave is right. right now the only thing I tow is a 17 foot open bow boat with a weight of about 2000 lbs. I have been towing for years, pushing and pulling but not with my truck, and I usually tow fighter jets and push them into parking spaces lol. but then I get a tow vehicle rated for it, so this vehicle towing is all new to me. I get the rating thing, tongue weight stuff, but I don't want to change gears at all, I NEED to figure out how to use this controller thing, and since I got my truck CPO (certified pre owned) I don't have an owners manual. when I type my vin on dodge site, I get " my vin doesn't exist" but I emailed them to see why. I got a carfax and the loan with that VIN so no worries..lol

never to hijack a thread, but I see there hasn't been a post in a minute and I figured I would keep this one going. How do I use this controller from dodge? can anyone get me a free copy of a user manual?

without changing anything on my Ram 1500 Express quad cab, how big of a travel trailer can I tow? I may not keep the travel trailer but I want one, so I don't want to change anything on the truck, and its still under the warranty so I don't want to break it? any help is better then none. thanks in advance. and if the OP would like me to start my own thread, I would be more then willing as to not hijack a thread.

If you go the the dodge website, in the build section you can put in your VIN# it will tell you everything you need to know about your truck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Lerchcon-I read these threads a lot about camping. I may not be an expert. I've been doing this for about 8 years now. I read about people bragging all the time about how they pull a 32ft or long TT with the weight. My question is, why do you need a camper as big as the Titanic to go camping???
The old one I just traded was a 24ft and had room in it. The truck handled this great. My family outgrew this and we went to the show and looked at a bunch. They had all those Titanics TT there with the weight issue that I did not want. All we wanted was a better floor plan to suit us. We do not live the thing, we just camp in it. So we don't need a very large, overweight TT to brag to everyone about. I ended up finding a 26ft weighing in about 4200lbs and the floor plan suited us.
It takes me about 1 hour to pull into a site set up and ready to go. I laugh watching these people pulling with these 30ft or larger yaghts and takes them about 2 hrs or more just to get into a site just for the weekend. I can put mine into a site myself. And don't these guys full you that they say they can pull those Titanics and park themselves. I call them liers. I have watched these people for many years. So not only the weight issue, you need to consider the length of your camper to park it. Don't believe me, just go camping and watch the funny movie. I see it all the time.
Can anyone tell me why two people need a 28ft or longer TT to begin with? I know, it's because you want it and think you need that much more room. I see it all the time. I see a huge TT pull in and only two people and ask myself WHY?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Bigger is always better :D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Yeah, I agree because you can run the little old lady around the trailer inside naked....:laugh Work for me, and like Carl said bigger is better.

·
lerchcon
410 Posts
The wife an I spent an entire weekend looking at every trailer they have to offer at every place here in Vegas and in AZ. What I have found out is that when your 6 foot 5 the TT become really small. I wasn't able to enjoy being in a normal TT without feeling claustrophobic.

what I did find and just need to talk the wife into eventually is a 5th wheel, which my budget would never allow and I went into a toy hauler which felt better because the ceiling was similar to a 5th wheel with it being arched. Subsequently the one we looked at was a 24 footer with a generator, and all the bells and whistles. But the wife brought up a really good point in that we are not really huge campers, and to make a purchase like this would force me to find a place to store it, and here that can cost another 60-200 a month depending on size. In time we will tell.

thanks for sharing your story though, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I had the same problem, although I don't one yet but will one day soon, since I'm retired military I can store in out on post with no problem. The wife said to me that before we go and buy one that we can rent one and see if we like it. I have been wanted one for about 20+ years and since now I'm retired I will have a little more time but not much because I a full time pastor. We will see thought but good luck with that lerchcon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, Ram Dually, I'm gald that you can afford and tell every one that they need a 3500 dually and a 35ft titanic just to go camping. Everytime I come on here to see your response is that everyone needs to buy a 3500 dually, desiel pulling a 35ft titanic. We are not interested in your response because we all don't need to brag to everyone what we want, not necessarily can afford. People come on here for information and you only suggest that everyone buy a large truck and TT like to be safe. I'm saying compelete B.S.
If you can't afford information, then keep to yourself. I understand that some people are pulling way over their limit, but not all of us. I am sorry that all of us can't afford a 3500 dually and a large titanic like you to go camping, but a lot of us don' t need or want that combo. So, if you can't help people with what they CAN AFFORD, keep you expensive comments to yourself.
I have a half ton with a 28ft camper, and according to you, this would not be save a appropriate to you. This is what I can afford. Our trucks will tow it! Sorry you don't like or agree. But I am tired of seeing you bashing about the half ton truck towing issues.
Again, I don't agree with what some of the operators are coming on here to brag of what they are towing. But, please, with your experience and anyone else, help with what you know, not talk them into buying bigger. Because bigger is really not needed or necessary. Bigger is only for braggers.
I laugh at people who pull into a spot with only them and a dog and laugh at why do you drag that big piece of titanic for only two people!!!! Is it for bragging wrights or what? Give me a hint, because I am not impressed at all.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Instead of chirping, next time read all my posts. You seemed to be over impressed, that is why you took the time to write out the complaint. You keep laughing, we will keep on enjoying ourselves.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Wow this thread got hostile
Bottom line if your towing at near max, max or over max with a 1500. Your endangering not only yourself but others on the road. I for one would rather be safe than sorry . I have towed my 8000# trailer with both my OLD 1500 Hemi and my current 3500 CTD.
Not only do I feel safer but so does my wife. We like our somewhat large trailer she is claustrophobic. If your married you know happy wife happy life. Sure if it was just me and my dog I would be happy with a little 17-18' trailer.
I am for one not trying to make anyone buy a bigger truck or bigger trailer.
But face it facts are facts

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.