DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the longest travel trailer you'd feel comfortable towing with a 1/2 crew cab, 5.7 with 3:92's ?

The trailer we have is the only one I've ever towed and Mrs. and I are looking to get a bigger travel trailer but I have no reference to what's is reasonable and what is salesman pitch.

I have a 23 ft (maybe 27 ft total hitch to trailer bumper length) and it tows easy, easy to back in and manuver in and out of shopping/gas stations, etc. but it's just that much too small.

There's no place nearby to rent a bigger trailer for a weekend test drive so any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Edited -- i guess the question of weight goes into this as well. My truck is configured for 10,000 lb max trailer weight but I'm limiting the trailer weight to 7,500 max.

·
Technology Handyman
1,062 Posts
I have a 2013 Keystone 26rlssr it is 7600ish dry. It is close to 30 feet long and it is tall.

I added air bags and bigger springs in the rear, I also have anti-sway and a WD hitch.

I still am not happy with how it feels on the road, My hitch is setup right and the engine has all the power in the world, I am just not happy with how it feels.

It does pull it, and I am not overweight, but it really comes down to how you feel when you are driving it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
What's the longest travel trailer you'd feel comfortable towing with a 1/2 crew cab, 5.7 with 3:92's ?

The trailer we have is the only one I've ever towed and Mrs. and I are looking to get a bigger travel trailer but I have no reference to what's is reasonable and what is salesman pitch.

I have a 23 ft (maybe 27 ft total hitch to trailer bumper length) and it tows easy, easy to back in and manuver in and out of shopping/gas stations, etc. but it's just that much too small.

There's no place nearby to rent a bigger trailer for a weekend test drive so any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Edited -- i guess the question of weight goes into this as well. My truck is configured for 10,000 lb max trailer weight but I'm limiting the trailer weight to 7,500 max.
I would not go bigger than what you have already if you need a larger TT get a larger truck

I have a 2013 Keystone 26rlssr it is 7600ish dry. It is close to 30 feet long and it is tall.

I added air bags and bigger springs in the rear, I also have anti-sway and a WD hitch.

I still am not happy with how it feels on the road, My hitch is setup right and the engine has all the power in the world, I am just not happy with how it feels.

It does pull it, and I am not overweight, but it really comes down to how you feel when you are driving it.
I have the same exact TT was pulling it with my old 2007 TRX4 CC 5.7 was not enough truck. I changed the gears to 4:11 added a extra trans cooler and trans pan along with larger diff covers and stiffer new rear leaf springs. It still was not enough truck After worrying about killing the trans or engine. I finally pulled the trigger on my current rig noted in my sig All I can say is I wish I did it sooner instead of all the upgrades I spent my $$ on..

·
Technology Handyman
1,062 Posts
I have pulled a lot of trailers, but am no expert by any means. I just know it doesn't feel like it should and I know it is the suspension.

The Hemi doesn't struggle, when you pull yours with the 2500 do you feel it pull you around?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have pulled a lot of trailers, but am no expert by any means. I just know it doesn't feel like it should and I know it is the suspension.

The Hemi doesn't struggle, when you pull yours with the 2500 do you feel it pull you around?
3500 half the time I don't really know its there unless its a SUPER WINDY day most the time I dont even use the weight distributing hitch. My 07 1500 was right on the threshold of its weight limit

The Hemi worked good but sucked down fuel like a banshee 7-9 mpg
CTD 11-12 mpg :rck:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I pull a 32 foot Sierra, no problems pulls great , windy days anyone can have a problem, sway bars, electronic brake, make it a breeze, been pulling it since 09, all the summers and sometimes in the winter... it depends on the weight of it,and your experience with it, you dont have to buy a 2500 just to pull on occasions, I get 11/12/13 mpg with mine , I am satisfied.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Big difference between Texas -Virginia (op) and California terrain we got mountains you dont even have hills..Apples to oranges in my opinion. 11-12-13 mpg I dont really buy

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Big difference between Texas -Virginia (op) and California terrain we got mountains you dont even have hills..Apples to oranges in my opinion. 11-12-13 mpg I dont really buy
Evidently you have never been to Texas. It is very hilly - not mountainous though.

I have a 35' Keystone Cougar X-Lite that comes in right at 7100 pounds. Truck pulls no problem, it just sways a little with heavy wind.

I get around 11.5mpg towing it. Don't buy that either?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Lot of factors come into play when towing.............

Check the trailer weight, hitch weight, load capacity of truck, axle rating ect. You'll find really quick what you can tow. I had a TT that was 34' ball to bumper, only weighed 7,300 to 7,500 lbs depending on what we brought. Trailer was light IMHO for the length BUT it was almost 900lbs on the hitch! Ballpark that figure and only left about 400lbs available before I went over the vehicle weight rating......family of 5 (3 kids, 5 year old and twin 2 year olds) makes it very easy to exceed that weight. Point here, trailer is well under max trailer weight rating but the truck itself is maxed out or slightly over rated payload capacity.

Shop wisely so you can tow comfortably and safely!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Evidently you have never been to Texas. It is very hilly - not mountainous though.
Actually I have family in Austin area and friends in Wichita Falls area
So I am quite familiar with Texas have driven across it many many times
Only time it sucks my fuel down is when coming back to Cali on the 40 and that is only because of the winds and high speed limit love being able to drive 80 mph

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
7000 loaded is all I will do with my 04 1500. I did heavier (8200 guesstimate with camping gear, firewood and water)and its a white knuckle ride in the wind or hills. and I have the wd hitch and anti sway kit. it was a toyhauler

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
ours is 35 ft from tounge to bumper 7800 lbs dry added wd hitch built in sway bar air bags hemi 8 speed 3 92 gears tows good for us a 2500 would be better but my 1500 does just fine

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Vinch.....don't really care what you would or would not buy ..op asked I told him what I get..comment on your own MPG not other peoples vehicles you don't own or drive..wouldn't be the first time a diesel owner didn't believe a Gasser could actually pull a trailer..

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Most would have a hard time believing 11-12-13 MPG pulling a 32 foot camper with a Hemi.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the info.

(Mike) To eliminate virtually all sway I went with a Pro-Pride hitch. It's the next generation update to what was the Hensley hitch. It's a bit pricey but it works, so sway is non-existent.

My concern was with driveablity with a bigger trailer. Using the advice given here (Again, thanks) I think the max is going to be 28 FT box.

I've weighed my truck with me, camping gear and the Leer cap, it came in at 6,400 lbs (I am a bit of a fat a$$, but not that fat) so hitch weight is a factor as well. My current trailer says 380 lbs hitch weight and the vehicle says 6,800 lbs max

I would love to get the new 2500 with the 6.4, but my wife and my bank think I'll be keeping this truck for a bit longer.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
we went from ga to ct i get about 6 to 9 mpg and 9 was going down hill with our feet up and the roads were wet mpg sucks but i love my hemi

·
That guy
3,097 Posts
Another diesel guy chiming in...

Be vary cautious when reading the RV's dry weight numbers, they are often very optimistic and if you put them on a scale you will see higher numbers. After you load people, beer, chairs, beer, pots, pans, beer, and ice you will quickly find out that the weight climbs faster than your rear axle is rated for.

I towed a camper witha Hemi for a while so I have been in your shoes. I averaged 8-9 when towing mine back in the day but I am not one to call anyone a liar.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Another diesel guy chiming in...

Be vary cautious when reading the RV's dry weight numbers, they are often very optimistic and if you put them on a scale you will see higher numbers. After you load people, beer, chairs, beer, pots, pans, beer, and ice you will quickly find out that the weight climbs faster than your rear axle is rated for.

I towed a camper witha Hemi for a while so I have been in your shoes. I averaged 8-9 when towing mine back in the day but I am not one to call anyone a liar.
Exactly. 50 gallons of fresh water is 417 pounds. Two 30 pound propane tanks full is another 110 pounds or so. Most trailers come with an RV battery, add another 40 pounds or so. You can easily add 2K to the trailers dry weight just in "stuff"

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
My old trailer was a 30 foot TT and I had a double bike trailer on the back with a golf cart in the bed. I would get 12-13 MPG pulling the load with my dually. I pulled it once with my wifes 2001 Off Road with 4:10 gears and got 6 MPG towing and the tail wagged the dog all over the road. It was the last time I tried that. Always better to have more truck than less truck for the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
As stated I had a 07 Ram 1500 it was not enough truck for what was needed.I love it when peeps get all butt hurt and go off the rail as is happening in this thread. Maybe call it inexperience youthful thinking what ever. All my statements were based on my OWN experience and old age not guesstimates. evidently I am not alone in my statements
Grow the freak up

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.