DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 3.55 in my '04 AWD Hemi Limited Durango. That gives me a tow capacity of 7200lbs. If I had the 3.92s I could tow 8700lbs. I'm looking at upgrading to a bigger boat, and almost need a new truck, but swapping gears might let me keep my D. What's it going to cost me and what does it entail to swap the gears out?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi Joe:

You have a couple of ways to go about it.

You can have the gear sets swapped out by a dealer or 4x4/off road shop.
With new parts and the labor you will be looking at somewhere between $1800 and $2000.

The other option would be to find a totaled D that has intact axle assembles, and either swap them yourself or have it done.

One Gen 2 owner went this route, and did the labor himself for ~$900.

I would guess you would pay another $400-500 labor to have them swapped.

If you go the gear set change route, you need to find a shop that knows their stuff. Not everyone can do this type of work, and if it is not done right, things can get expensive really quick.
Don

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thats more than I was hoping. Almost doesn't seem worth it to do on a truck with 80K miles.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Joe:

I think you are seeing things in a real way which is sometimes hard for one bitten with the urge to upgrade.

As much as the price on these rigs has come down, you might consider trading up a few years, and getting one equipped as you wish.

I believe that more than one D owner has come to that conclusion given the current market.

Don

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Run a 28" tall tire will do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
275/50/17 will give you an effective gear ratio of 3.908:1

Also if your not towing in the mountains and you are legaly with in the 7700
lbs you will be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.