DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brothers truck (05 1500 4x4) has almost 80,000 miles on it and lately it has some grinding coming from the front end. It only does it when you turn it the extreme left and some times to the extreme right, but not always. I told him that its probably the cv joints but i wasn't sure. Im new to the independent front suspension and am not familiar how the whole thing works. Some advice or links would be great. What I really want to know is how the cv joints work and how easy is it to replace. Thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts
I also had a grinding noise from the front end. I was expecting the worse. Turned out it was low on power steering fluid and made the noise when I took my foot off the brake and hit the gas peddle to accelarate. Guess the pump speeded up with the engine and was starved for fluid. You might also be starving the pump for fluid when you turn the wheel all the way to one side??

·
:D Hello!!!
3,401 Posts
80000 on an '05? geese I thought my 27k was high..... What motor?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
:huh: :help: i hear the same thing on my 02 with 85000...i can hear a type low whoosh whoosh occassionally. The guy i know at the shop said it might be a bearing. its expensive to replace and its hit or miss with em...????doesnt effect how it drives whatsoever :huh: :help:

·
Registered
890 Posts
From your description, it does sound like it could be your bearing on the right side. When you turn extreme left, it's putting pressure on the right side wheel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gc714 said:
80000 on an '05? geese I thought my 27k was high..... What motor?
Its got a hemi.
The reason it has so many miles is that we put around 1000 miles a week on it driving to and from work. Believe me its not exactly the best truck to drive that far every day with. But plenty of power to haul tools and stuff(mainly a$$)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Hmmm...I have the same noise. I guess I can try the power steering fluid.

Any special kind or just basic?

·
:D Hello!!!
3,401 Posts
hemiram_05 said:
Its got a hemi.
The reason it has so many miles is that we put around 1000 miles a week on it driving to and from work. Believe me its not exactly the best truck to drive that far every day with. But plenty of power to haul tools and stuff(mainly a$$)

Wow! I put 15k on mine in the first 6 months. Have you had anything give you problems other than in this thread?

I just noticed your screen name....Man it pays to read those. Lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually the truck im talking about is my brothers so you had good reason to ask. This is the first trouble he's had out of it. Other than turning in parking lots(sharp turns). Its still doing great. He has had 3 2nd gen rams in the past and he says that this is by far the best one yet. On the 2nd gen he allways had u-joints and wheel bearings going out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
HEMI05RAM said:
Hmmm...I have the same noise. I guess I can try the power steering fluid.

Any special kind or just basic?
You need to get the stuff Dodge recommends - it isn't the basic stuff. I don't have access to my owners manual right now. Sorry.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
ATF+4 IS WHAT YOU NEED. Many 3 gen rams have leaky return lines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.