DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a search for a paintable front valance for my 2002 Dakota QC 4x4 SLT. I hope to find a smooth one, so as to avoid a lot of prep before paint. I don't want the combo cover thing that will cover my chrome bumper, just the valance.

My question is, what years are the valances the same, does anyone know? I need the fog lights w/ the tow holes. I could waive the tow holes if I found something that would fit. If I knew that 97-04 were the range, for example, this would help the cause.

· '02 Dakota QC SLT Plus
374 Posts
I am in (have been for too long, actually) the process of doing the same thing you are tying to do for your front valance. This is what I have determined based on part numbers and other things to consider.

The smooth valance is common from 1997-2000. The 2001 model year introduced a one piece bumper/valance cover that installs over a bumper beam. This is used on the sport and R/T models. The SLT continues to use the separate bumper and textured valance.

The 2001 changeover introduced a new fog light design - the lights mount into a bracket molded into the back of the valance. The 1997-2000 valance had holes in them for the fog lights to pass through - the fog light brackets are mounted to the bottom of the bumper.

I hope this helps you in your quest...

BTW - I am looking for 2000 fog lights to finish my parts acquisition, but am not sure if the wire connector is the same for the 2001+ and the 1997-1999 or 2000 lights. Does anyone have the part numbers for the 1997-1999 and 2000 fog lights? Thanks!

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually dumped the stock fog lights for some performance blue aftermarkets... it is very straightforward on the wiring. The mounting, however, required a slight modification. That was fairly easy though.

I've also seen some valances on ebay for the 97-00, smooth w/ fog light openings, and am wondering if it's a perfect mate to the 2002...

I sent this guy a message, and will post his response

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To close this thread, I've completed the retrofit of a 97-00 smooth valance on my 02 Dakota. This confirms that these years are interchangeable. One note to highlight, however, is the difference between the two. The 02 textured, disgusting grey valance has the fog light mounts integrated on the actual valance. Specifically, it's molded on there. Whereas the 97-00 valance, which was aftermarket by the way off of ebay, does not. The nice thing is the bracketry holding the bumper assy to the frame lines up nicely to install a simple bracket to grab the fog lights.

So there you have it. Get rid of that ugly grey textured valance and put a smooth painted one in its place. It makes a big difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.