DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have thought about putting a programmer or chip in my truck and maybe even some kind of exhaust. Maybe headers. Does any of that void your warranty and if not please mention any mods that will.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Nope. Good programmers usually let you return settings to factory. They wont even know. I have never heard of an aftermarket exhaust voiding a warranty, but I am sure they could be dicks about it....

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Headers will void your warranty only if they can prove them to do any damage to the engine.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Aftermarket programmers DO void your warranty if the dealer knows you have been running one. You are taking a prety big risk, IMHO, running one on a new Ram because the onboard computer retains little notes that the dealer can access via the diagnostic machine that will show certain changes were made( such as tranny line pressure increases to firm up shift points ). It is very easy for the dealer to tell you have used one even if you are running the stock/OEM program when you bring the truck in.

Yes, these programmers do retain your stock settings that can be loaded back in. That is true. However, if the dealer really takes the time to look they CAN tell you have run a programmer and if they want to they CAN void you over it. Then, despite it being up to them to prove it was the programmer that caused it, YOU, will still have to take them to court to make them prove it. Until then they can just say VOID!

I was told this about the programmers by the head mechanic at my dealer who is about the most knowledgeable tech you would ever meet. Apparantly many new car mfg's are programming the onboard computers to retain clues and tips to show these aftermarket programmers are being used. Sort of like black box devices on planes recording events.

Is it true? Not 100% sure BUT it sure sounds plausible and the guy has never lied to me before. I believe him personally. I won't run a programmer personally while under warranty( my 7/70K would be at risk ).

I have NEVER heard of a dual outlet exhaust, true duals, or changing out the stock muffler voiding your warranty. The only warranty you would void would be on the exhaust itself if something happened to it. Obviously they won't warranty something you changed. Hard to fathom anything that would be effected by some exhaust work? Perhaps if you swapped the cat converters for some aftermarket ones it could lead to some warranty issues with emissions things or something( EGR maybe? ).

Headers themselves won't void you but if you had issues on the heads where they mount I could see them trying to blame the headers.

CAI kits in general do not void you either. The only thing to watch out for is if you run one with an exposed filter vs one in an air box setup like Volants. Exposed filters "can" allow moister in and if that happens the dealer will blame the CAI. As a rule you are pretty safe running any CAI. Millions of people do with no problems.

However, let's say you hit a really deep puddle and the water splashes way up into your engine bay and soaks your CAI's exposed filter( can easily happen and especially to the type that sticks them way down, low, in the front vs mounting them over where the stock air box was ). You then suck water in to your eninge and cause a lot of problems. The mfg will deny fixing your engine and blame the CAI. They WILL win as well.

Basically look at it like this. If you do something that changes or modifies the stock setup, something like a lift kit( voids suspension and power train warranty )or say a shift improver kit( voids tranny and possibly rear end warranty ), you then blow your warranty coverage for that modified thing and very possibly things that could be directly effected by what you did( ie; the firmer shifts from the shift kit voiding your tranny warranty and possibly the rear end due to extra stress from the firmer shifts ).

You need to really think about any mod you want to make before doing it in relation to your warranty. What will this mod do and what does it interact with that could be damaged?

The Magnusson act that so many refer to is not a license to go crazy and modify your new vehicle any way you chose. So many folks are misinterpreting what it actually states. There are a lot of mfg's making aftermarket goodies that like to use it to try and say their product won't void you when it certinaly can and probably does.

The law was written to stop mfg's from forcing people to ONLY use OEM parts. For instance, it does not allow DC to say you HAVE to use MOPAR parts for your vehicle or you void your warranty. You can run any aftermarket part that meets or exceeds OEM spec's. If a mfg requires that you ONLY use their parts then they have to provide them for free under the act.

So if you manual calls for 5W-30 API certified oil it can NOT say MOPAR 5W-30 API Certified unless they provide it for you free. You can run any API Certified 5W-30 oil you choose as long as you change it at the interval DC gives in your owners manual. You HAVE to use the proper weights, ratings, and certified fluids, and you HAVE to change them when the mfg says to, but you do NOT have to use their parts to preserve your warranty.

Here is an example though of what can void sections of your warranty with just a simple fluid change. Right now DC requires that you run a certified ATF +4 fluid in the tranny and transfer case( on 4X4's ). A LOT of guys are running an aftermarket synthetic brand of fluid that claims to meet some of the specifications of an ATF +4 fluid. So, they think they are okay.

The truth of the matter though is that the fluid is not a certified ATF +4, and doesn't actually say it is either just that it meets some of the spec's, and that does NOT meet requirements of the warranty. Should they have a tranny problem the dealer most certainly can say it was caused by running the wrong fluid and void the tranny warranty.

It doesn't mean problems will happen if they run it or even that a dealer will void them for running the fluid. It simply means they CAN if they chose. You are best suited to have a conversation with your local dealer's service manager to discuss the types of things they have issues with.

The point is you must run the proper ratings and such. It is all right there in the owners manual and very easy to follow. Run any brand you want just get the right one. It is NOT up to you to decide what weights and such you will run.

The same applies to all the basic parts and pieces like spark plugs( stock OEM style - changing to something like Iridium, Platinum, or Splitfires is a different story ), filters, shocks( again stock OEM style ), stock suspension components, light bulbs, etc... The mfg would have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problme to void you. It would be impossible for them to do that and they wouldn't even try and void you unless the part was not OEM style.

As to using aftermarket performance goodies. The act does NOT give you carte blanche to do what you want. It merely states the dealer needs to prove/show the part(s) caused the malfunction to void your warranty. It isn't too hard for them to prove a 6" lift w/35" tires threw off the driveline geometry, and put too much stress on the differential, and caused your rear end to blow up or your tranny to melt down. The act is NOT going to protect the average person who makes such a major modification to the vehicle despite claims it will by many folks around here.

When you start using things like programmers that change the factory computer settings it is VERY easy for the dealer to prove those changes caused the problems and void you as long as they can prove you ran a programmer. Install something like a different cam and your entire power train warranty goes bye bye because they can show you upped the power and the driveline can't take it type of thing.

I have personally worked in a dealership, in parts and service, and it IS something dealers will check on when problems arise, and generally they will void your warranty because of the parts. Generally they win too. Basic maintenance items and very mild performance add ons like CAI's and exhaust are oaky. Major mods like programmers, engine work, tranny work, etc... put your warranty/parts of your warranty at risk.

Sorry this is so long but you asked and the usual replies are all "do what you want the dealer has to prove it" and those answers are very misleading.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Also, don't forget you could also call dodge customer service and ask about any mod you intend to do. Tell them exactly what you plan to do & ask any questions about warranty coverage. Even if they are mopar performance parts, ask about warranty coverage because some mopar performance parts void parts of the original factory warranty. I did this when my '97 was under warranty & they are very clear if or what part of your warranty will be void.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Wow. I think that is the longest post I have ever seen! Basically mods/upgrades will not void you warranty ... but you won't have coverage on anything you add, and dealers like to try to connect your mods/upgrades to other issues.

As an example, in my 01 Ram I had a MSD Ignition/Blaster coil setup. Shortly after one of my cats burned up (under warranty), and my local dealer denied warranty coverage ... but the service manager pulled me aside and told me to remove the MSD and come back and he would "pretend" like he never saw it. I returned a day later with the MSD stuff removed ... and the dealer replaced my cat under warranty.

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
programmers and chips will void warranties, even if they are restored to factory specs. the computer inside the truck will log the programmer or chip into its memory.

mike

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
MSCH2112 said:
programmers and chips will void warranties, even if they are restored to factory specs. the computer inside the truck will log the programmer or chip into its memory.

mike

I must agree. I had a HPP3 in my TA until I had it proffessionaly tuned. The guy asked me if I had removed the programing and set it back to stock. I had, and he said it leaves stuff behind in the cars computer even after being removed. He cleaned mine all out at the time. :D

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Find yourself a good dealer that sells and likes mods. They will not have a problem with mild bolt on type stuff usually. now they aren't going to cover bent tierods on a suspension lift, if you have a lift and the tranny goes out, that will be questionable depending on tires etc, but if you hae a lift and the ac stops working, they arent goin to have a problem fixing that.

If my trannny goes out, I know they will blame it on my drop and pinion angles, bleh blah. I'm going to file with my equipment coverage, and get a crate.........take it to pops hot rod shop.........and let it rip all over my warranty.......nuff said.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
spharis said:
Find yourself a good dealer that sells and likes mods. They will not have a problem with mild bolt on type stuff usually.
Good advice. I've heard of stealerships voiding warranty work on motors due to headers. And I have a buddy that used to get warranty work done on his Camaro that dynoed at 525 rwhp. The thing sounded like a dragster, and they just pulled it in and did the work. They wouldn't touch his motor of course, but did other work. I also have great history with the same Pontiac dealer. But now they don't sell anything I want. :tdwn:

·
Registered
54 Posts
That was one of the best and most complete posts I've seen in terms of explaining things when it comes to after-market products and warranty. I just got my 05 1500 and have been doing research on CIA's and cat back exhausts and their effects on the warranty and this cleared up allot. So it looks like for at least for a while I'll stick to the minor stuff like that (airram/flowmaster). Anyway thanks a bunch for clearing stuff up

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Appeciate all the info fellas. If or when i get down to doin some mod'n i'll definately check into it first. Thanks again.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Driving your truck off of a cliff will definitely void your warranty. :cool:

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
but it won't void the warranty with your insurance company!

mike

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Hemi Pete said:
Driving your truck off of a cliff will definitely void your warranty. :cool:

We should try this with your truck. We could tow it to the dealer afterwards and tell him it won't start. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
My brother in law blew the transmission on his F-250 PowerStroke that had been chipped. Somehow the dealer was able to show it had been chipped and would not honor his warranty. He fought it and had to pocket the money to replace his tranny. Not good! I don't think I would take the gamble on my Cummins.

Regards

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
black wolf once you take the truck (after driving it off cliff) in complaining that it wont start you should ask them if they will fix the small dent on the fender and tell tham that it was there when you bought it. that should work right?? and be covered under warrenty too. lol

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
mattspenc said:
Maybe I will put off buying my Superchip until I hit 80k then....
Put it off until 70,001 miles or 7 years and 1 day. Whichever comes first. Or, put it in and hope nothing breaks down that is too expensive.

Reapirs to vehicles these days just cost too much $$$ for me to risk it. Some guys don't seem to mind.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.