DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 94 1500 4x4 with a 318 and 3.50 gears and was curious what some 33's or 32's would do to my power, speed and stuff like that and what would it do for towing

·
Registered
199 Posts
WEELLLL now let me tell ya! I have a '99 318 auto 3.55's and the 33's really made a BIG difference in acceleration (both starting and passing) and braking. If I decide to stay with 33's I will change to 4.11 gears. I do believe I will drop back to 265/75's on the next set.

·
Registered
92 Posts
well i had 32" on my dakota with a 318 and i think it had 3.90's and it wasn't too great on fuel milage, power, and braking. so i would upgrade to lower gears if i was to do it again.

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
big difference with the 3.5's and 33's.

mike

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
With 33's, you'll want at least 4.11 gears.

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
I haev 33" with 3.92 gears and it does just fine.. Power is there, acceleration is there. I get about 13-15 mpg. 3.55's may be a little doggy though and with a 318 even worse.

·
Registered
164 Posts
33's with 3.55's wont make the rear end go out tho will it? I got the 33's cuz thats what I was told was the MAX to run with 3.55's.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I doubt it, but it will just make your engine work harder and your gas mileage to drop some. Basically, it is just a performance issue. Your engine will feel bogged down or sluggish the bigger tire you go. Honestly, if you don't tow or haul heavy loads, and you don't care about quick get-up-and-go, 33's with 3.55's are not really an issue. Lot's of people run that size. If your interested in keeping near or better then stock performance and acceleration while running a bigger tire, then you should consider the gear change.

33's sure look a lot better then the stock tire though, don't you think?

·
Registered
164 Posts
OMG are you kidding me! They look WAY better. I think all 4x4 trucks should come standard with 33's. Makes the truck look way beefier. (that may not be a word..lol) Hey thanks for the info tho. Im going to do the swap to 4.11's when I get 35's next go round. I got a fabtech lift just sittin in the garage. Im going to wait till I can put the gears/tires and lift all on at the same time. You think 4.11's would be ok for 315's as far as performance goes?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm runnng 33's with 3.55 gearing. I've got the 360 motor though. I don't have any problems with the motor bogging down. I'd like to swap out the gears to 4:11's. Quick question on that, do you also purchase the 'master install' kit when swapping gears?

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Bigsapz said:
.....You think 4.11's would be ok for 315's as far as performance goes?
You'd be better off going with 4.56 gears if you plan to run 35's.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
redrams77 said:
.....I don't have any problems with the motor bogging down.
You think you don't because you drive it everyday and are used to it, but I bet if you change you gears, you'll notice immediatly what you were losing. When I went to 4.11's, it was like I had a new truck.

Your 360 probably helps to compensate some too. I have the 318, so it is more noticable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Silver_DodgeRam said:
You'd be better off going with 4.56 gears if you plan to run 35's.
Ok cool thx. How much did the 4.11's run you? (if u dont mind me asking)

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Around my area, it would normally run someone about $1200-$1400 for both diffs (since it is a 4x4). But, I know the guy that owns the shop, so that helped me. I also had them put in a limited slip in the rear, so that would cost more too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Don't tell me that Silver, now I have to look into getting gears

·
Registered
21 Posts
I run 33x12.5 and didn't notice any drop in power. Then again I've got 4.10's and a V10. The speedo is 5mph slow but it works.

·
Registered
662 Posts
iwantone said:
well i had 32" on my dakota with a 318 and i think it had 3.90's and it wasn't too great on fuel milage, power, and braking. so i would upgrade to lower gears if i was to do it again.

Charts site 3.92 gears to be perfect for 32 inch tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A note on changing gears:
The 9.25 carrier is the same for all ring/pinions setups (good thing).
The D44 is not, D44 3.73 & down / 3.92 & up is the breakdown on the carrier...so stepping down from 3.5's (to 3.9s) will require a different carrier in your front axle. It's another expense some don't plan on.

Tim

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
That's not exactly true. I went with 4.11's and did not need a new carrier. The reason is that some gear makers now have what they call a thick gear, allows you to reuse your stock carrier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.