DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I was looking through my owners manual and I see that it recommends ATF+3 but what I have read here is for me to use ATF+4. What should I put in my transmission and also what brand?

·
Mopar owner since 1977
1,204 Posts
I run the Mopar brand. You can buy it at Wal mart for much less than the dealer sells it. Valvoline is an ok 2nd.

·
Registered
988 Posts
dont mix the two tho!! if your going to flush the system, go with atf4, if toping off or a drain and re-fill at home, use atf3
i personally like the castrol aft products, and valvoline is a good second

·
Mopar owner since 1977
1,204 Posts
I don't believe you'll find ATF+3 anymore. ATF+4 replaced it. It is an upgrade from ATF3 and will work fine in older Rams

·
Registered
878 Posts
ATF+4 is my choice. I second and third all who use it. As for not making ATF+3, I can't find it at the dealer. I've mixed them as well, with no issues at all. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's Mopar ATF+ 3 or 4, I'm using it... no matter the price. :rck:

Just my $0.02

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
You know something that is very interesting? There is NO difference between the 42/46/47RE transmissions on the years that are REQUIRED to run +3 as to the ones REQUIRED to run +4.

·
Mopar owner since 1977
1,204 Posts
Absolutely true, in reality it was the chemistry of the tranny fluid itself that was changed to control shudder and slippage. At least thats according to Ma Mopar.
Personaly I believe it gave DC a monopoly for a couple of years until the aftermarket was allowed to sell it. I remember it was 6.77 at the local dealer in Phoenix.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
So in reality,it is not that +3 in a 46RE where it is suppose to take +4 will mess up your transmission,it is merely do you want a better fluid? Then use +4. ;)

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
I am going to install a drain plug in my 47RE so I can install a temp sender.
If I do a pan drop fluid change with +4 in a trans that has +3 in it now, will I see any benefit or will mixing the fluids be a problem and I should do a full flush and switch to +4?
(sorry for the hijack)

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Mixing is fine.

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
Good to hear.
Thanks Terry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status