Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RAM Power Wagon, 2007 Dodge RAM 1500, 2011 Jeep JKU
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the truck in my Sig. It has the Tow Pkg, but I do not see any ratings on the hitch, as I have with every other truck/hitch I have owned.

It does not look to stout..

·
Registered
533 Posts
My window sticker said mine was a class IV hitch. Mine is also a 2007 Quad Cab 4x4 but is the Big Horn package rather than the Thunder Road which I believe is regional.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not get a window sticker, Dodge is suppose to be sending me a new one.

What is the Max tongue weight and weight carrying capacity? I also went to Dodges website and could not find it listed.

We have both ThunderRoad and the BigHorn Pkgs here, from looking at both they looked the same, except for the badges.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Most class IV hitches are 8,000 lb or 12,000 with weight distribution hitch. I wouldn't put either of those behind my 1500. I don't know if the factory hitch will hold that but I would not be confident pulling that type of weight with a 1500. We have pulled my single cab ram on a 24' metal trailer that weighed about 2400 lbs with ease but I figure you are talking 6500 lbs at most. It might pull 8000 but that just seems like you are pushing a 1500 and even with electric brakes on the trailer the ram on the big trailer was somewhat difficult to stop.

·
Registered
605 Posts
yah it's not good to consistently tow anything around 8k or more with the 1500 with the 5.7 i'd imagine. i've towed 10k once or twice, or rather my brother has, and the truck was fine, brakes were its downside cuz it has no brake box.

·
Blue Dodge Ram
317 Posts
It is a class IV hitch with 5,000 lb/12,000 max with weight distribution.

Tongue is 500/1200 with weight distribution.

On the 1500 I believe the max trailer weight can be 8400 lbs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rz0mbie said:
It is a class IV hitch with 5,000 lb/12,000 max with weight distribution.

Tongue is 500/1200 with weight distribution.

On the 1500 I believe the max trailer weight can be 8400 lbs.

Thanks, that is all I was looking for.

I have NO plans to tow anything that heavy, traded in my Travel Trailer for the truck, and all I have left at the moment is my 20 ft Boat, which is a little over 3,000 lbs. Other than that it will be a Golf cart and ATVs.

The hitch just does not look up to the task, not very beefy compared to the one that was on my F350, I know Apples and Oranges, but a comparison none the less.

I'm sure it will be fine for what I will be doing, I have been towing 10,000-11,000 lbs for the past 8 yrs, and it is just different than what I have had.

Thanks for your help.

I am really liking this truck, I'm glad I purchased it, and hopefully it will serve me well for years to come.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Glad you are liking the truck. I can imagine an F350 is a huge change. Did I hear you talking about the F350 being bought back under lemon law?

I wanted to buy a Cummins and my dad pushed me hard to buy one even though I don't pull anything. If the Cummins would have had the lifetime powertrain and diesel prices were less than 3.50 in my area I probably would have bought one.

At the same time I'm very happy with my 1500. I had an 03 single cab I built into a toy but this is the first one I've actually used as a truck. If you do your own home maintainence and etc you just have to have a truck of some sort.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I ended up Lemon lawing my 2006 F350. I have had 3 Ford Super Dutys and the first Two (7.3L) were great, but the last one with the 6.0L was a POS. :VHOT:

My last Three trucks were BIG ones, all were 1 ton, long bed, Crew cabs, this truck is small (compared to them) and very easy to get into and out of a parking lot. :D and the HEMI has Very good power. :drivingz:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talk about a HUGE change, right before I had to drop the F350 at the dealer, I purchased a 99 Toyota Tacoma to fill the gap between the Ford and what ever I would buy, did not know I would buy a Dodge, with the intention of giving the Toyota to my son on his 16th birthday (his First Truck), which is in Jan. I have been driving it since Aug. 28th. Now that is a BIG differance, going from a CC, LB, 4x4 F350 to a Reg Cab 4x4 Toyota Tacoma. :D IT really did feel like a TOY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.