Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all~

Ok, so the honest truth is that I have been really busy and I am just don't have the time to crawl under the truck to find out myself so I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with. I have a 2001 Ram 2500 4x4, non-HO Cummins with a 5 speed manual. I need to replace the clutch and need to know what transmission I have in my truck. Also because I am a college student money is a little tight and even though I would love to go with a South Bend Clutch its a little out of the budget right now. So are there any recomendations for a clutch that is a bit tougher than stock but not something that would be used to pull a sled down the track. The truck is bone stock, no mods, no chips. I do a fair amount of pulling (12k - 15k trailer)and now that I bought the car for the everyday driver it will be used more for work so I am not afraid to put a little bit of a stiffer clutch in it but not ready to step up to a dual plate clutch yet. Thanx in advance for any info you might have!!

Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the site. If I remember right, the last time I had a clutch put in, I was told already had a 13" clutch in it. Is this only possible if there was a conversion done at some point in the past?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so the next question is... Are all 13" clutches the same? Will holes and such line up if I get a new flywheel (if I need one) with the conversion pressure plate? Or will I have to go with what is in the truck now? As far as HP... I couldn't tell ya. Like I said, it is bare bones stock. Not even an after market air intake. The only diff is that when the muffler rusted out I replaced it with a piece of pipe. So I am guessing its not much more than the 300 range. On that note, however, I do put it through the ringer and would like to take a step up to something that can handle a little more abuse. Granted... I have to stop makeing stupid decisions that result in completely smoking the clutch. But that aside... It does get worked.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
ok, there's a guy on the cummins forum that got the 300 or so dollar clutch for his 6 speed truck...he's killed three transes and the clutch held up through all of that, so, i think you'll be fine w/ the 400ish hp one.....you can call Valair and ask em any questions ya have...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey cmns~

Not to change the subject, but how far out does that "slurpie" cup holder stick out in front of the console? I have my CB mounted right in front of the center seat and was just wondering if it would be in the way. Also how tight is it attached to the console. If I have the dogs riding with me I like to put the console up so there is room. Would I have to chuck the cup holder on the floor or could it stay in the console w/o popping it open and pissin' me off? Thanx again for the help.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
Hey cmns~

Not to change the subject, but how far out does that "slurpie" cup holder stick out in front of the console? I have my CB mounted right in front of the center seat and was just wondering if it would be in the way. Also how tight is it attached to the console. If I have the dogs riding with me I like to put the console up so there is room. Would I have to chuck the cup holder on the floor or could it stay in the console w/o popping it open and pissin' me off? Thanx again for the help.
no, you can't have the cb in the middle w/ the smoothie on a standard trans truck, i tried........i have mine mounted to the plastic outside of the 4x4 shifter thing.....i'm not too sure how high it sticks up w/ the console all the way up, i've yet to put it up since i've put it in the truck...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx man, I appreciate the info. I am pretty sure I have enough info to be able to find what I am looking for. If anybody has anything to add that they think I really should know post it, but I think I have a good handle on it now. Thanx again cmns!!

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
It sounds like you have done the stock or cheep upgrade clutch thing once already, how long did it last? I spent the cash on the SB CON-OFE and never looked back. I just figured it was cheeper to do it once with great parts than twice with good parts. Food for thought...

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
It sounds like you have done the stock or cheep upgrade clutch thing once already, how long did it last? I spent the cash on the SB CON-OFE and never looked back. I just figured it was cheeper to do it once with great parts than twice with good parts. Food for thought...
the "cheap" ish Valair Con/Ofe held up to a guy that was runnin a Smarty/TST stack(the BEST one for our trucks) through like three trannies.....i'll go valair if i ever get a clutch.....i gotta support my fellow Texans.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.