DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE!!!!
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gona chang my trans fluid soon. I was told that all I need is RTV to seal the pan to the trans, so no gaskit? What type of RTV r u guys useing?
THANKS
racenut

·
Premium Member
10,539 Posts
Go to your stealership and get some Mopar ATF-RTV. It's not really that expensive and there is enough to do 2 or 3 pans.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a friend that owns close to 15 transmission shops.

Number one rule is NEVER use sealant on the transmission pan, one drop in the wrong place internally can fry a transmission.

Get a gasket and be done, Napa carries most of theirs in rubber and will have 4 holes a little smaller than the others to hold the bolts on place while you install it.

·
NoMoreMoney
294 Posts

Number one rule is NEVER use sealant on the transmission pan, one drop in the wrong place internally can fry a transmission.

Get a gasket and be done, Napa carries most of theirs in rubber and will have 4 holes a little smaller than the others to hold the bolts on place while you install it.

I just had to change my transmission pan and the dealership said no gasket was made for my truck and to use Mopar ATF-RTV.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wix Part#'s for 5.7 engine 2WD 58846 4WD 58843 45RFE

If you have the 45RFE getting a gasket is really easy most of the online stuff shows 08 to have that transmission.

Napa Sells the Wix but I don't know if their numbers are the same.

·
Labrador Retrievers rule!
1,794 Posts
If you don't want it to leak, use RTV Silicone.
Permatex Ultra Grey- rigid high-torque RTV is what I used.
If you do it right, you could remove all the bolts and it still wouldn't leak.

·
HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE!!!!
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just had to change my transmission pan and the dealership said no gasket was made for my truck and to use Mopar ATF-RTV.
No gasket, that is what I was told too.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

X2, Gasket for sure

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

With the lifetime powertrain warranty, I wonder why Dodge isn't worried about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With the lifetime powertrain warranty, I wonder why Dodge isn't worried about it.
I Don't know?
I wonder why Dodge has the worst reputation in history of bad transmissions, it is sort of a given if you have a Dodge you WILL have transmission problems at some point. RTV ??????

I wonder why every major filter manufacture supplies a gasket in the filter kit? For that matter why do they waste the time making them?

You use RTV on a pan you have to wait for it to set up which adds time to the service and you take a chance loose pieces that ssqueeze into the inside of the pan working loose and traveling into the tiny passages of the transmission and possibly costing yourself a transmission.

My transmission in my 98 went over 100,000 miles with the correct servicing which included using a gasket during the service.

I have been driving 22 years now and always done everything on my vehicles and have never had a pan leak using a gasket so I wonder why you would go through the hassle of RTV when a gasket is available?

Just my .02

David

·
Registered
287 Posts
Put a Pml deep pan on mine. Not a big fan of rtv but have used it in the past and it will work. Went to NAPA and got the rubber gasket. Great fit no leaks. Do the gasket.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
:SPIN:Kinda of a no brainer, gasket gasket gasket

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
i would stop on in to the honda dealer and grab a tube of hondabond. that stuff is the best "RTV" i have seen yet. its used to hold teans axle cases together in the hondas, allong with anything else the need a "RTV" for. the stuff works so good that i have chenged the rear end fluid 4-5 times in my truck and every time i used hondabond and have yet to clean the old stuff off and it still seals without a single leak. link.....http://www.hondapartsworld.com/hondabondht.aspx

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The 10.5" AAM rear end in my 2500 came with a gasket. I re-use it every time I change the fluid and no leaks. I just bought a filter kit and some ATF+4 fluid for it's first change at 100k miles. No need putting it off too long... The kit came with a gasket and I'll be using it. If it leaks, I drop the pan again and go with the RTV sealer. I like gaskets on serviceable items. Makes the job easier. I re-used the gaskets on the 47RH and 47RE transmissions in my Cummins Rams several times and never had a leak.

·
"Joe the Bummer"
325 Posts
I've used the Honda Bond before for diff. covers, oil pans, but as some of you are right, i would not use it on the transmission: Too risky. I hope they offer a gasket as a replacement over the RTV, does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
YES They do offer a gasket any napa will have it :D
I'm with you , I would never use rtv on a tranny esp these.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I got my filter kit at Advance Discount Autoparts and it came with a gasket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.