DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an '03 QC 4.7 SLT. I originally purchased the truck because of the 4.7. I didnt do my research and assumed the 4.7 would be getting better mileage than the HEMI. (more HP means more fuel right!?!)

Ok well It seems that these days the Hemis are Getting the same Mileage?

I am interested in trading up for a newer (04 or 05) Hemi. I had the chance at an 08 4.7 which was really nice and the power is great (compared to 03) But I just HATE the new blue, and I am not a fan of the newer style head and tail lights. I honestly tried giving them a chance, but I much prefer the older headlights.

Therefor that confines me to an 04 or 05 Hemi QC I believe. I will be looking for a truck with 30,000 or less miles on it. But my question is...

What should I look out for? as far as any problems, be it HEMI related or Just Dodge Ram 1500 Related?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Try to get a 3:92 rear end.
The 3;55 sucks.
That would be the only thing to really worry about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, yes i shoulda stated that I am definately looking for the 3.92. Thats what I have in the 4.7 (thank god because I didnt know any better at the time of purchase) But I def be getting the 3.92 rear.

I am just thinking more along the lines of problems. It seems that most peoples rams are fairly reliable and problem free? Atleast a majority that I read here are.

My Current Ram is a headache and I sometimes wonder why Im even looking for another but then I just have 1 look at other trucks and I remember why.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
myne has 23,000 and no problems yet and to make a long story short the rear end has 50,000 and still no problems.

·
Tape On
829 Posts
The only real issue would be the clips in the rear-end breaking. Check for that, other than that I don't have any complaints with my '04. Get one with as many bells and whistles because you’re definitely going to get a better deal on a higher model that if you were buying new.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have an 04. It had 23000 miles on it when I got it and it is now at 68000. Truck is completely Loaded with every feature available. The only problem I ever had was the throttle body had to be cleaned. Also while towing I forgot to push the tow/haul button and the transmission got hot but thanks to the internal computer it put the truck into limp mode and prevented any damage to the truck. I love my truck. Yes it's got a HEMI!

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
I have a 2004 2500 quad/8' bed Hemi SLT.

It is the truck I have always wanted.

I am glad I have it, 23K on it when I bought it.

Bought it recently, so I can give you the details of my deal.

It was a one-owner local trade by a police officer that bought it new at the same dealer I bought it from. He kept it a couple years and brought it back to trade on a 3500 quad/duallie CTD truck due to the fact that he increased his fifth wheel trailer size. Mine is the SLT, loaded with almost everything you can think of, power everything, HEMI, you name it. Truck originally stickered for 42K. It is a "Certified Dodge Used" vehicle, if that means anything. Dealer had it on the lot for 26K. After some hemming and hawing, I got the truck for 22K and some change, the dealer gave me 8K for my 99 Silverado (which was a little tired), so after all was said and done, I was out somewhere 15K and some change. Then I bought the extended warrantee for 1700.00, so I wound up about 17K cash difference.

Seems that you can buy 04/05 HEMI trucks (4x4) for anywhere from $15K up to $25K depending on mileage, equipment, options, and local market.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Total price on my truck was $22,500 with taxes and all. Well worth the money to buy used and get the extended warranty. Doubt you'll need it though. Mine is still Rock solid.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
- Rear End Clips
- pinion Bearing Seal is known to leak
- Rotors Warp easy on 3rd gen rams
- Power Steering Hose (return hose) tends to leak. (Easy fix)
- Tbody gunks easy (plan on cleaning it, specially if you buy one with an aftermarket CAI)
- some reported issues with AC fan motors, and Position accuators (not common though)
- Ball joint and suspension bushings are kinda cheap
- make sure the tranny TSB has been performed (PCM Flash)

Before you buy make sure to the CEL key trick to see if any codes are present.

I have had my 04 for 4 years and have 100k... No major issues. Mechanically superior than my 98 GMC ever was!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I may have just found a really good deal on an 07. Its basically new and its Hemi w. 20's.

How do I know if it has the MDS? It is not at a dodge dealer but a Honda dealer and Im not sure if they will know.

Eitherway its $24,000 and its a pretty loaded up hemi. All the options of my 4.7 but with the Hemi, 4 years newer and has 20's instead of 17's.

If I can get them to drop a few grand, and I should make a couple grand on my trade it might be an ok deal. I really lke the idea of the warranty for another 2 years.

Maybe I can crack those big ugly headlights open and paint em darker. Or buy new. thats all i really hate is the headlights.

·
New Project!...Again!
3,261 Posts
An 06 1500 will have MDS. Only time it wont have MDS is if it is a 2500-3500 or Mega Cab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.