Votes: 6 33.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed down the spark plugs that I am choosing from.
1) Champion 4071 truck plugs
2) NGK FR5-1
3) Autolite AP3923
4) Bosch Platinum 2

My question is what plugs do you run in your engine and why you chose them?

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
Autolite AP5224 side gaped to 0.040

·
Off the Grid
1,827 Posts
I didn't think Magnum engines started till '93 or '94.

I have read about side gapping plugs before, but I thank Stev for going through the effort of the diagrams and photos.

I did post my use of the Bosch +2 in the poll, even though my Engine is an LA 318 and not a magnum, and I posted the same info in the other thread. I just want to see that beating a dead horse Emoticon again.

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
680 Posts
Call me crazy, but I use the exact plug recommended on the sticker under the hood, and they work just fine.

Attachments

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
The Autolite 5224 is the cross reference over to the stickered Champion plug on that label.

This past week, I've also done the Seafoam treatment. This is the third time since owning the van. There was very little white puffs coming out the tail pipe this time. Seems that the build up is now out of the combustion part of the engine. I'm hoping to replace the O2 sensor this Spring.

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to every ones input. Due to the poll results and seeing what they have done in a van at work I am going to use the NGK this time. Last Friday I removed the Champion set out of my mothers car which had a mis at idle up to 1500 rpms. The number one plug (4 cylinder) had a broken insulator and the center was worn down to the end of the ceramic. The other three plugs had only slight wear after 2 years in the engine. Right now I am not happy with Champion products.

I am still reading up on the side gapping but right now not convinced that they are the way to go or that there is that much benefit in using them. I would like to see some dyno numbers on different spark plugs. I did find one that showed very small differences with different standard plugs but not the side gapped ones.

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
Right now I am not happy with Champion products.
Oh, I could tell you that over the past 28 years, I've never been happy with any set of Champion plugs I've found in engines. Your telling of the broken insulator reminds me of many Champions over the years like that and having others break in the threaded plug hole to use an easy-out tool to save the block from having the engine pulled or tore down.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
I assume you're using the quick reply window at the bottom of the page? If so, try clicking on the "Go Advanced" button down there instead. Some of the more common icons will be on the right side, or you can click the "more" link to get, well er...more. If you click the "more" link a new page will open. Any icon you click on the new page will be inserted into your post back on the first page right where your cursor is. When you click the "Submit Reply" button to submit your post, the 2nd window with the icons will automatically close.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use spark plugs CHAMPION RC12YC.
Cheap and always is available at the dealer.
' 1992 B250 318 Magnum
Ps: Excuse for bad English

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
I use spark plugs CHAMPION RC12YC.
Cheap and always is available at the dealer.
' 1992 B250 318 Magnum
Those are the same type that froze in my engine block and cost me $300 to have them removed. Three broke off in the engine block and needed an easy out to remove them.

The Champion's do not have any corrosion protection and corrode quickly.

For being cheap, those plugs are not worth the extra removal cost. Autolite or Motorcraft.

Now, this thread here inquires about what plug we use for the Ram Van. Here's a link to the Ram Van Magnum engines on what plugs that can be used in alphabetical order ...

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=182698&postcount=9

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for council stev.
At replacement has broken one spark plug)
In Russia not so it is a lot of spare parts available at the dealer.((

·
Mylestone
1,251 Posts
Hi

What model of Autilite spark plug do you recomend?Autolite XP Iridium,Autolite Double plat,Autolite Platinum? So many choices!
Thanks
Myles

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
What model of Autilite spark plug do you recomend?Autolite XP Iridium,Autolite Double plat,Autolite Platinum? So many choices!
Thanks
Myles
If you can afford them, Autolite XP Iridium. I can not, but have been running with Autolite Single Platinum (AP series) side gapped. The single platinum and double platinum show really do difference in gains over each other. So, save your money and look at single platinum.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.