Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Ram 1500 4x4..

I want to level the front end a bit, and I understand that I can just tighten the torsion bars by about 4-5 complete turns to do so?

What size socket do I need to do this?

Any 'side effects' of doing this? Do I need to get it re-aligned?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I can't remember for sure, 9/16 or 5/8. Yes, you will need to get the alignment checked after you are done. I cranked mine 5 times, and got 1 1/2 inches of lift, then I swapped the shocks for longer ones and got another 1/2 inch. I think the stock shocks limit lift.

·
Up The Irons!
279 Posts
18mm. I did mine 3.5 turns and it rides/stops/handles fine. Only thing I noticed is that the pull it used to have to the left at highway speeds got a little stronger....still barely noticeable though. The new position of the wheels my increase the "off-ness" of whatever is slightly out of alignment. I'm getting it aligned in the next month or so anyways.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang.. I went out to go 'crank em' .. but the drivers side is inaccessible without removing some 'stuff'.. the passenger side, I tried but couldn't get it to move.. I may have to get a 'breaker bar' to get that sucker to turn..

Should I lift the front of the truck off the ground with a jack to do this??

·
Up The Irons!
279 Posts
Mine was on the ground, and actually facing downhill so there was more weight shifted to the front suspension. I used just a regular Craftsman 1/2 inch drive ratchet and shallow 18mm socket. It was in fact rather hard to turn, but I just went 1/4-turn at a time.

What is in the way....skid plate of some sort? They should be pretty much out in the open.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
cal_gecko said:
Dang.. I went out to go 'crank em' .. but the drivers side is inaccessible without removing some 'stuff'.. the passenger side, I tried but couldn't get it to move.. I may have to get a 'breaker bar' to get that sucker to turn..

Should I lift the front of the truck off the ground with a jack to do this??
Yeah, getting the front up will make it much easier to turn them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm.. turns out I was trying to crank the wrong thing (d'oh!)... I was trying to tighten the crossmember bolt... LOL .. didn't realize the adjustment for the torsion bar was perpendicular to the actual torsion bar!!! LOL... I went out and adjusted them a few minutes ago.. when you're trying to turn the correct bolt, it's a lot easier :)

·
WYOhemi
478 Posts
Can you only do this adjustment on half ton trucks or can you do it on 3/4 tons too?

·
Registered
27 Posts
fyi - I just had my torsion bars adjusted at the dealership. The truck looks much better (40 inches from the top of the wheel well to the ground on all 4 now). Also, the dealership said this will have no impact on the warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.