DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put headers on my 96 ram, now i need exhaust. My idea was to have run duals 2.5 inch, into a x pipe to dual magnaflow mufflers then dump them out of the passenger side before the wheel. I would love to run one out of each side but that damn gas tank is in the way. Would this be a good setup? would i lose any performance?

-josh

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
On a small block, Id run 2.25" if your running duals

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it effect the performance if i went with 2.5? with the duals?

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
Haeusser said:
would it effect the performance if i went with 2.5? with the duals?
I would think you would see a little more gains with the 2.25 size pipes! Even the Hemi's like that size better than the 2.5.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
3" single out or dual 2.25" out for the best performance, IMHO. From my experience, anything larger will result in a loss of much needed low end power. In fact, most people are finding on the Chrysler smallblock truck engines that a single out is the most desirable in terms of useable power.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
should i just run a magnaflow dual in and single out? 2 1/2 then???

·
5,101 Posts
Haeusser said:
No its gonna be single in and single out since it is after cat. Not completely sure what size in it is. 3" in? 3" out for sure.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Haeusser said:
I had Mesa headers on my old 99 Ram w/5.2l
and ended up getting better perfromance after
I canned my dual exhaust and went with a
5X8X18" strait through Magnaflow. Single 3" in/out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok bottom line, should i go with 3" y pipe to a 3" single in/out magnaflow, or 2 1/2 duals with a x pipe, and dual magnaflow mufflers?? which would yield better results??

·
5,101 Posts
Are you scrapping your cat convertor all together? Are you working from the headers down? Cause if you are working from the cat back, you wont need a y pipe or an x pipe.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
headers back,no cat, need decison quick!!! i think im just gunna run 2 1/4 duals with x pipe and dual mufflers,

·
5,101 Posts
I would Y pipe to a single 3" in single 3" out muffler!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
right now i've got single in dual 2.5" out. if i put 2.25" reducers on at the end of the pipe would it make a difference?

kevin

·
Addicted to Smilies
114 Posts
You could always go with Gibson's Super Truck Exhaust which slaps onto the Cat, and dumps out before the Passenger side rear wheel :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
2.25 head pipes into 3" y back to a good muffler from there you can daul it and not loose anything (power mileage ect.) and it will save you some money but if you do go with duals all the way h pipe is fine because you are just balancing presure between the left and right bank of motor 2.25 is what you would want but 10inchs befor muff bump to 3" into muffler it will stop the poping while letting off the gas then finish with 2.5" I have done it to several trucks and that is what I have found :) but the y into 3" is what I did with flowmaster 40 series

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.