DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you know, I am fairly new to the forums and I am putting my car back together after getting into a pretty good fender bender. Since my car is out of commission for a while I decided to do a few more mods, one of those mods is a high flow cat-back muffler. I wanted a monza style muffler, one made of stainless steel (I live in Alaska, snow and ice and salt on the road) to fit under my new rear lip (which I don't have yet because it's floating on the pacific somewhere between the lower 48 and Alaska on a barge).

The question is, if you have replaced your muffler, what made you choose the one you have and did you have any problems with fitment?

I bought a monza style magnaflow muffler (looks like a borla) but had to send it back because it doesn't fit my cat (my cat pipe measures 1 7/8 from outside to inside, the mangaflow resonator pipe measured 2 1/4) which I would have had my cat pipe expanded, but, the real problem was that the muffler didn't clear the rear suspension bar in back. I talked with magnaflow direct and they said, "ya, we designed that muffler for the 2nd generation neons without a rear suspension bar" My car is about as "no frills" as they come 01 sohc 2.0 manuel SE. What 2nd gen neon came without a rear suspension bar? Just curious?

...and, if you are interested in knowing what I am replacing it with, I wept tearfully at the price of a borla...it had BETTER FIT!

Click Here to see the Magnaflow Muffler I sent back

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
A cat back exhaust isn't going to gain much if anything in the power dept. Sure it will sound nice but is a sound worth the money you pay?

If you realy want power for your money buy a good header,cat and muffler. You can get powder coated headers that will not rust in the weather up there. The cat,pipe and muffler can be as easy as Flowmaster for a fraction of the cost that you spend on Borja,magnaflow or Thermal. JMO tho.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So ACR, did you have any problems with fitment? How did your install go?

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
I actually went to a muffler shop and got everything from them and they installed it.
The header,cat,2.5 pipe,and a dual outlet muffler installed for about 400$. I think it was well worth it! You would almost have that much in just a Borja muffler! I normally do other stuff myself but I like my exhaust welded not clamped together. So I had it done rather than do it myself.

The only thing that give them a few fits was getting the muffler positioned just were they wanted it. The reason for that was the 2.5 inch pipe.

OH b4 that I had a dual outlet Camaro muffler and stock exhaust minus the cat's inards. LOL It runs better with a cat. But seemed to pull harder in the upper rpms. Maybe my butt dyno just thinks so.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Borla is not cheap...no doubt. In fact, they are going up in price by a "c" note at the beginning of the year I was told. There are a couple factors for me here in the frigid north - 1. no quality muffler shops in my area able to do what yours did for you (stock replacements is about it). And, 2. my stock muffler pretty much fell apart when taking it off the car, its 5 years old. Most people here drop a heavy duty stainless on if they care. When you add up the replacement costs against a Borla, it may not be a bad investment. We get a lot of precipitation here, live by the ocean, and there has to be a salt mine somewhere around here by the looks of what it does to cars and trucks driving the roads here. If Borla stands behind their million mile warranty - it's feasible that the muffler will be all that is left when the car has rotted away! LOL, it's funny and it's not.

How about the rest of you? Why did you choose the muffler you have and how easy/hard did it go on?

·
Registered
231 Posts
i bought a Ractive muffler and took it up to the muffler shop have them weld 2.5 inch pipe on with it...it fit just fine i just had to cut a lil notch out so it would sit flush with the back bumper and not angled downward.

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
I went with a Lukey Turbo Flow muffler, 2.5 inch pipe and highflow cat. Mid / longtube custom made headers also. Sounds like a v6. Lukey are a great name brand here in Aus that lasts forever. I got all mine done by an exhaust shop.

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Just cat back system alone u will get more power and notice how easy the engine revs up too. Standard sohc mufflers are terrible for high flow. The sohc will easy gain more horses by an addition of a cat back system compared to the dohc.

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
hoodoo said:
Just cat back system alone u will get more power and notice how easy the engine revs up too. Standard sohc mufflers are terrible for high flow. The sohc will easy gain more horses by an addition of a cat back system compared to the dohc.
Thats right! I forgot about that. Heck for that matter you can replace yours with a stock DOHC muffler and gain some power.

I see what you are saying about the waranty on Borja. With your weather and conditions you might ba ahead to spend the extra cash. You do get what you pay for!!
However I think I would spend my money on a cheaper muffler and get some High temp paint to paint it ever so often to deter the salt from eating at the metal.

One thing I know is metal! LOL I work for a Caterpilar Reman Company that makes Piston rods, Hyd Cyl, pumps ect. Caterpillar is doing tests rigth now on different methods of Chrome plateing by putting the rods in a salt water bath to see how long they last. Most are not passing the test!!!!!! The salt water getts under the chrome somehow and destroys it. I have not yet seen one of them yet but if the salt water can destroy it an about a week I imagine it will eat just about anything metal.

Go for the Borja and we shall see if they hold up under extreme conditions such as you have. At least you will be able to get a new one free of charge if it wears out in the weather. Lifetime Muffler replacement sounds like a good option for you. Good Luck Bro.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
the SOHC muffler is pretty much the only restrictive part of the exhaust after the cat. Replace it with a DOHC muffler or straight through muffler and you're good to go. Your stock pipe should be 2.25" mandrel bent stainless steel. Only 2000 model year neons manufcatured before february of '00 didnt have 2.25" stainless. If you're worried about rust, stick with the stock pipe, unless you want to spend mucho bucks on aftermarket stainless.

As for what i'm running: midlength stainless steel ebay header -> stock cat -> glasspack -> stock pipe -> SRT-4 rear section (also 2.25" stainless mandrel pipe, mufflerless).

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Rice is right about the pipe! It's probably about the best stainless you can get unless you spend like he said Bookoo's of cash for aftermarket stainless. Id just replace the Muffler with a good stainless steel one or a cheap one that you can replace every so often when they are eaten alive! LOL The cheapO Camaro mufflers are about 20 bucks.
Or get your Borja muffler witht he lifetime replacement gurantee. The only thing about that is I doubt the car will last as long as it. Like you said the rest of the car will more than likely fall apart b4 it will. How long do you plan to keep your car? I mean they don't last forever unless you have it painted and a new motor about every 10 yrs. LOL
They just don't make em like they use to. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The downside to the stock pipe is that it is 2 inches, not 2.25 like on the 1st gen neons. By the time I order "anything" and have it shipped to Alaska I pay out the nose for shipping (the price you pay for living in the most beautiful state in the nation IMO). So, if I am paying for 30 to 40 pounds of weight regardless, I'm certainly not going to put something on my car that will rot off in 5 years or less. I think the borla is the right choice for me and my situation, time will tell. I appreciate/value your input though!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Shouldnt be, should be 2.25" mandrel. Are you absolutely positive yours is 2"? The only time they put 2" exhaust on a neon is for the first bit of the 2nd Gen production, and you can easily tell because it wasnt mandrel bent, it was 2" crush-bend pipe, and it wasnt stainless. Maybe it was pre-february of 01 that they did the 2", but I thought it was pre-february of 00.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rice Eater,

In the very first post of this thread I wrote that the pipe dimension is 1 7/8 off the cat. I took the measurement. This is to allow the 2 inch exhaust pipe to fit up to the cat. I dug this up off the allpar site, which states the same:

"I suspect that an even bigger improvement can be gained from installing a high-flow muffler on 2000-up standard Neon. The factory reduced exhaust pipe diameter from 2.25 inches on 95-99 cars to 2.0 inches on 2000-up basic Neon models. This change was made in an effort to make the current Neon appear more mature than the previous generation (i.e. quieter)."

http://www.allpar.com/neon/performance.html

My pipe is mandrel bent and rusty and falling apart - so is the exhaust. It was made in the good ole' :gr_patrio

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I have a habbit of not reading the full post, LOL. I guess maybe I should.

The SRT-4 factory exhaust should retro-fit to your neon from the cat-back, you'll just need to replace the cat with one that has at least a 2.25" exit. The SRT system is loud though, since there's no mufflers, only two small resonators in the tunnel. You can probably pick up a full SRT exhaust for under $200 used. Check ebay and the neons.org classifieds.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey everyone,

FYI once I got my Borla catback it took no more than 15 minutes to install it, complete. Sounds wicked! All I have left to do is get some body parts painted and I'm back on the road. The kaminari lip kit and ram air hood are absolutely beautiful and fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As soon as I finish painting and assembling it I'll post some pics. My buddy has me slated to use his shop Nov. 13th so it won't be too long after that! Whoo! Hooo! :rck:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.